News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ron Farris

Pictures ---- Driving Range or Practice Facilities
« on: July 14, 2009, 05:32:50 PM »
I know driving range and practice facilities have been discussed here a ba-jillion times.  However, I have searched for pictures, but I have not the patience to go thru all the threads searching for pictures.  I am hoping to show a membership what good DR and practice facilities look like.
I will give credit for the pics.

Robin_Hiseman

Re: Pictures ---- Driving Range or Practice Facilities
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 05:59:37 AM »
Ron

I recommend using Google Earth and saving the screen shots of the aerials.  There was a recent thread (a couple of months ago)listing the 75 best practice facilities in the world.  I screensaved all the aerials for our design files and it gave some very clear images of what excellent ranges should look like.

Hope this helps.
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 08:18:01 AM »
Ron

I would contact a local golf course architect. Many have experience designing practice facilities including short game areas, bunksers, chipping and putting greens as well as tee lines. Please contact me offline for more info.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 01:45:39 PM »
Mike Nuzzo's new practice facility design is very nice.  Mike was kind enough to give me a tour despite my unannounced visit, and the practice green & bunkers are definitely worth a look.  He may have posted blueprints before - maybe he's got some pics now, though we've had so little rain in the past month I don't know how much more grow-in they've had.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 01:51:55 PM »
Here is one in Edinburgh called Kings Acre.  It was designed by my partner years ago.  I thought it was going to be over the top but actually it was fun hitting pitch shots over the water.  The greens are made with a sand profile so that the bounce is similar to that out on the course.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=kings+acre+golf+course+edinburgh&sll=35.7678,10.8225&sspn=0.372169,0.724411&ie=UTF8&ll=55.8929,-3.108991&spn=0.004019,0.011319&t=k&z=17

Here is another one called Meldrum House.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Oldmeldrum,+Inverurie,+Aberdeenshire+AB51+0,+United+Kingdom&sll=55.912393,-3.173075&sspn=0.014864,0.045276&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FRrnagMdYafc_w&split=0&ll=57.347847,-2.31553&spn=0.003722,0.011319&t=k&z=17

Another one that we did was called Aspire Golf Centre.  The satellite picture shows the par 3 course and driving range being grown in but it is looking good these days.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=+Aspire+Golf+Centre+South+Deeside+Road,+Aberdeen+AB12+5YN+&sll=57.19626,-2.650342&sspn=0.478384,1.448822&ie=UTF8&ll=57.111948,-2.169725&spn=0.0036,0.011319&t=k&z=17

They are just a couple of examples of not too extravagant Practice facilities.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 02:24:00 PM by Brian Phillips »
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 02:17:33 PM »
I don't know how to post Google aerials, but here is the link to an aerial photo of the very nice practice area at Columbia Edgewater CC in Portland, Oregon (AV Macan 1925, the course, not the practice area!).  If anyone knows how to post the actual photo, please be my guest.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=45.597727,-122.641462&spn=0.000863,0.002352&t=h&z=19

In the practice area, there is a putting green in the upper right corner, with a large curved green to the left and lots of places from which to hit pitch shots, chip shots and bunker shots up to 80 yards in length.  The numerous angles make it possible for several players to practice in different parts of the area without getting in each others way.

The adjacent green, to the lower right, is the ninth green of the nine hole pitch-and-putt short course with holes ranging from 60 to 150 yards.

The complex was designed by pro emeritus and long time Pacific NW architect Bunny Mason.  The short course is known as the Mason Course.  It's a great place to spend a morning honing your short game.

Michael Blake

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 03:24:54 PM »
Ron

I would contact a local golf course architect. Many have experience designing practice facilities including short game areas, bunksers, chipping and putting greens as well as tee lines. Please contact me offline for more info.

Rob,

Pretty sure Ron IS a golf course architect.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 03:30:05 PM »
Kingsley is worth looking at. Tees at front and back to alternate between, target greens through out, nearby short game green and bunkers that are representative of what is on the course.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Michael Blake

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 03:56:36 PM »
Mike Nuzzo's new practice facility design is very nice.  Mike was kind enough to give me a tour despite my unannounced visit, and the practice green & bunkers are definitely worth a look.  He may have posted blueprints before - maybe he's got some pics now, though we've had so little rain in the past month I don't know how much more grow-in they've had.

http://nuzzogolfcoursedesign.blogspot.com/search/label/Swanson

He's close to finishing Matt's golf school project and will have a slideshow of the project up on his site soon.

Also, see his Champions range project:  http://www.mnuzzo.com/Champions/album/

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 04:45:03 PM »

Matt Bosela

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 05:23:38 PM »

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 05:24:34 PM »
Beautiful golf course........

Mike Benham

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 05:43:26 PM »
I was just at Old Greenwood in Truckee a week or so ago, very nice practice / teaching area ...

I have a few photos on my iPhone but their website (Golf Academy at Old Greenwood) has lots of information
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 06:13:40 PM »
One of the finest practice facilities around has got to be at Stanford University designed by Jay Blasi (Chambers Bay).......

Matt_Ward

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 06:48:23 PM »
Ron:

Contact the folks at the following for good leads on the subject ...

World Woods (FL)
Metedeconk National (NJ)
Bandon Dunes (OR)
Oakmont (PA)

These are just a few combining the daily fee and private versions of top tier practice facilities. There are clearly others. I have a few pics and can try to locate them and forward to you.

CJ Carder

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 11:56:24 PM »
Here's a few pictures of the new facility they built at UVA a few years back.  I'm sure you could contact just about anyone at Birdwood Golf Course and they could get you some pictures or more information.

I also seem to remember that Bulle Rock had a really cool short game practice area - at least for a public course.

Then I've heard, but never seen, absolutely phenomenal things about TPC Scottsdale.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 01:13:20 PM »
Here are some pics of the Raleigh CC practice facilities (during late grow-in):

putting green #1 and range targets:

range hitting areas:

pitching greens:

chipping/putting green:

Matt_Ward

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 01:26:08 PM »
By the way -- forgot to mention Tetherow in Bend, OR will have a driving range with target greens that can be played as a short course too.

David Stamm

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 01:42:29 PM »
One of the best I've ever seen.....

http://www.stoneeagleclub.com/html/flash.html
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 04:44:09 PM »
Hey Ron. I'm surprised you're not simply going to show this membership a photo of the practice fairway at Sand Hills  ;D

That's all a golfer needs!
jeffmingay.com

Matt Bosela

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 10:45:58 PM »
Ron:

Contact the folks at the following for good leads on the subject ...

Oakmont (PA)

Here are a few shots of Oakmont's facilities:

And of course, we can't forget the coolest practice green in golf, the back of number nine!

Lester George

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 11:42:47 AM »

Kinloch Golf Club

Ballyhack Golf Club

Hershey Country Club (proposed)

Country Club of Florida

Lester

Sean Eidson

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 11:56:29 AM »
Here's a few pictures of the new facility they built at UVA a few years back.  I'm sure you could contact just about anyone at Birdwood Golf Course and they could get you some pictures or more information.

I also seem to remember that Bulle Rock had a really cool short game practice area - at least for a public course.

Then I've heard, but never seen, absolutely phenomenal things about TPC Scottsdale.

CJ - I played frequently at Birdwood while in grad school, but that was 5 years ago.  Where and when did they install this practice area?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back