News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: How do you play the game?
« Reply #175 on: July 16, 2009, 12:37:17 PM »

My dear friend Tom,

Out of Bounds are there for mere mortals and the Professionals. The Elite and morally superior never venture off the course as they know how the game is played. ;)

The air up here is so refined and pure, yet concern is gathering as to how many of the Elite believe themselves to be Napoleon Bonaparte. The count so far is 1499, but for God sake do not mention ‘Waterloo’, it causes havoc and they can’t get out through the windows due to the bars. The French are none to amused either. :-[

Please tell me you don’t drive a MX-5 open top black sports car(t) when you go a golfing.   8)

Melvyn

Melyvn:  it's worse.  We own two cars.  One is a minivan and the other is a Honda Pilot.  With three kids, one not yet three years old, I gave up being cool long ago.

;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #176 on: July 16, 2009, 12:46:08 PM »
We're not all wussies over here Mel.  This is what i drive!!   ;D

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 12:49:29 PM by Kalen Braley »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #177 on: July 16, 2009, 01:07:40 PM »

Kalen

I may have had more respect if it was a Range Rover but a Toy –ota. But then you are not looking for the easy way are you.

Melvyn

Kalen Braley

« Reply #178 on: July 16, 2009, 01:15:53 PM »

Kalen

I may have had more respect if it was a Range Rover but a Toy –ota. But then you are not looking for the easy way are you.

Melvyn

Melyvn,

No one takes thier Range Rover off-road unless its an old beat up one. However thats a nice marketing pic unlike actual pictures of mine!!   ;D

Needless to say RRs are overpriced POS's that break down far too often...I'll take a Toyota any day over one of those!!

JC Jones

« Reply #179 on: July 16, 2009, 01:17:37 PM »
Well, RRs are Fords.....
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

astavrides

« Reply #180 on: July 16, 2009, 10:19:29 PM »
Kalen:  exactly.  Answer it in any of those ways, or like a few others did referring to rules of events, whatever, and Richard and I keep our knickers from twisting.

But a simple "yes" to that?

Wow that's a perfection I just can't get my head around.

;D

Tom,

Just look at it this way.  Now you, Richard, and I have something to aspire to.  To "Always" play the ball as it lies...regardless if its...

- On a cart path
 - In ground under repair
 - Under a gorse bush
 - Lying in casual water on the fairway
 - On the railroad tracks
 - In an old crusty divot
 - 2 feet to the outside of an OB stake.

;D

I think he just meant, 'do you play by the rules or do you roll the ball around to give yourself a better lie?'  I don't think you guys have to be so literal here.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #181 on: July 17, 2009, 01:42:38 AM »
1) Do you prefer walking or riding?  walk
2) Do you use a rangefinder/GPS device to judge distance?  no
3) Do you always play the ball as it lies?  yes
4) At one point is a putt "good?"  inside two feet or so I'll sometimes pick it up to save a bit of time if I'm having a bad round
5) Do you keep a handicap?  yes
6) Do you generally wager?  no
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play?  under 55 degrees or so, rain (unless in Scotland/Ireland) or when its so hot/humid I can't keep hold of the club (I don't wear a glove)
8) Do you take lessons?  never have
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round?  no....I average about one bucket every 2-3 years
10) Do you use a line on a golf ball to align your putt?  no
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Sean Eidson

« Reply #182 on: July 17, 2009, 06:42:31 AM »
Long time lurker, first time poster.  This seemed as good a place as any to start

1) Do you prefer walking or riding?  I walk 95% of the time, only riding when I'm forced to by the course.  I always chuckle when they say that carts are mandatory to speed play and the round takes 5 hours anyway

2) Do you use a rangefinder/GPS device to judge distance?  Tried for a bit and gave it up - I can't control my distance well enough to take advantage in the increased precision vs. sprinkler numbers

3) Do you always play the ball as it lies?  Yes, always - sort of.  If I'm playing against someone, they will need to agree with any relief.  If I'm not playing someone, I might take relief from a downed tree limb that's half in and half out of ground under repair stakes.

4) At one point is a putt "good?"  In match play - when my opponent says so.  In stroke tournament play - when it's in the cup.  I've been known to concede uphill 5 footers to myself in practice rounds, though

5) Do you keep a handicap?  Yes

6) Do you generally wager?  Whenever I have a willing counterparty.  I find that even a $2 bet improves my play

7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play? 40 when it's still, 50 when it's breezy, 60 when it's windy.  Rainy anytime wind conditions will allow.  When I'm on vacation, it needs to be a hurricane to keep me inside

8) Do you take lessons?  yes - a couple per year when my swing hides in the trunk in the parking lot

9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round?  It usually helps me to hit 10-20 balls and 10-20 putts.  Takes about 20 minutes and I'm warmed up on the first tee instead of the fourth.  However, I've probably lost more shots in pre-round practice than I've gained when the seeds of doubt germinate

10) Do you use a line on a golf ball to align your putt?  I'll line up the logo/stamp for anything over 3 feet.  I don't think it works, though, I'm still a lousy putter

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #183 on: July 17, 2009, 07:40:06 AM »

Richard

You should not judge all until you re-read some of the answers to Point 3. In fact, if you look at my answer Post #6 you will see an honest answer somewhere within the post.

3) Do you always play the ball as it lies?Normally I prefer to play it as it has come to rest, however my divine powers allow me a few options when I believe they comply with the Rules of Golf (which I am currently having reviewed – if you got the power – use it).

Melvyn

ed_getka

« Reply #184 on: July 18, 2009, 05:58:32 AM »
GCA brethren,

In light of some recent discussions on how one plays the game, I thought it would be interesting to conduct a brief survey of GCA member's playing preferences.  

1) Do you prefer walking or riding? walking
2) Do you use a rangefinder/GPS device to judge distance? no
3) Do you always play the ball as it lies? yes
4) At one point is a putt "good?" within a couple of feet if there isn't a severe break
5) Do you keep a handicap? no
6) Do you generally wager? no
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play? snow on the ground
8) Do you take lessons? no
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round? yes
10) Do you use a line on a golf ball to align your putt? no

"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #185 on: July 18, 2009, 06:14:56 AM »
1) Do you prefer walking or riding? Walking
2) Do you use a rangefinder/GPS device to judge distance? No
3) Do you always play the ball as it lies? Yes
4) At one point is a putt "good?" In competition = when it's in the hole / Socially = usually when my playing partners say so
5) Do you keep a handicap? Yes
6) Do you generally wager? Usually only with my regular playing partners (only a nominal value)
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play? I only dont go out when there's lightning around...having played in GB&I for a number of years I can take what "mother nature" throws at you
8. Do you take lessons? What's a lesson ?  ;D
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round? No
10) Do you use a line on a golf ball to align your putt? Yes

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #186 on: July 18, 2009, 08:40:36 AM »
This is what I drive (in the summers) - and it ain't no Ford: ;D ;D

Of course, my regular, non-fun car is a bit more sedate...

Damn straight...  Nice one Shivas  ;D

It's tough to tell but it could be a 71-73.  Definitely not a 74-76.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Paul Carey

« Reply #187 on: July 18, 2009, 08:44:40 AM »
1) Do you prefer walking or riding?  Walk
2) Do you use a rangefinder/GPS device to judge distance? No
3) Do you always play the ball as it lies? Yes....unless it is a tournament and the local rules allow lift, clean and cheat!
4) At one point is a putt "good?" When my opponent tells me so.
5) Do you keep a handicap? Yes
6) Do you generally wager? Yes!
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play? Snow, hard rain, cold < 40 degrees
Cool Do you take lessons? Yes
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round? A few....
10) Do you use a line on a golf ball to align your putt? Yes

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back