News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John_Conley

Re: O/T.. Winning going backwards!
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2009, 11:29:08 PM »
John,
One of my members said that Maniago took a bad shot in a game and ever since that time a goalie cannot skate past the Red Line.

Is that it?

Yes.  Rather than go to the bench to get an attacker while waiting for the delayed penalty, Maniago went toward the other net!

John_Conley

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2009, 11:30:29 PM »
John - wasn't Mauer HS Football PotY?

I still say armwrestling meets the no LH criteria.

Yes.  Joe Mauer was National Player of the Year for Football.

I don't know enough about arm wrestling.  Is there are third sport?  Used to be on TV a bit.  Clive Dean was the man as I recall.

John_Conley

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2009, 11:31:23 PM »
Jim Stefanich
skating past center ice. He got KOd trying to score on a delayed penalty.

Ding ding ding!

Yes, Jim Stefanich was the US Open champion for bowling.  Later became a member of the Senior Tour.

John_Conley

Re: Some other questions for you
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2009, 11:36:01 PM »
What are the two sports you are not allowed to play left-handed?  Jai Alai and Polo

What is the low 9-hole score in the US Open?  (And why is this interesting?)  Lancaster, did it twice.

Who is the last player to legally throw a spitter in major league baseball?  Burleigh Grimes

What hockey rule was implemented because of how Cesar Maniago played?  Goalie can't go into play on delayed penalty

Which past Senior PGA Tour member won the US Open in another sport?  Jim Stefanich, bowling

Which joke's punchline is, "well, you can't bowl 300 and lose."  I know this guy, bowled a three hundred and WON!

T/F:  Twins Catcher Joe Mauer was baseball's Gatorade National Player of the Year while in HS  F - Football

John Moore II

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2009, 11:39:18 PM »
Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Arm Wrestling is divided into divisions, both weight divisions and right/left hand divisions. Very nice.

And actually, yes, you could bowl a 300 and lose. Your opponent ties you with 300 and you lose in the extra frames.

Eric Smith

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2009, 12:04:54 AM »
Having has too many gin and tonics the question arose, what games/sports require going backwards to win?

I came up with swimming/backstroke.

Tug-o-war.

Any sculling event.

Help, what else?

Bob

After back-peddling all day chasing over head shots, I'll nominate water volleyball played with a beach ball.

astavrides

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2009, 02:21:14 AM »
John - wasn't Mauer HS Football PotY?

I still say armwrestling meets the no LH criteria.

Yes.  Joe Mauer was National Player of the Year for Football.

I don't know enough about arm wrestling.  Is there are third sport?  Used to be on TV a bit.  Clive Dean was the man as I recall.

Chalk one up for me, with the 'false' answer in reply #21.

And, one more thing Encyclopedia Brown, you mean Cleve Dean.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 02:26:29 AM by astavrides »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2009, 09:06:13 AM »
Sir Bob,
I found one more:

The sport of backpedaling is centuries old, no one knows exactly when or where (some say Pa.) it first started, but it's practiced on this site quite frequently (especially on the long, long, long threads).
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

JohnV

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2009, 10:38:26 AM »
Sir Bob,
I found one more:

The sport of backpedaling is centuries old, no one knows exactly when or where (some say Pa.) it first started, but it's practiced on this site quite frequently (especially on the long, long, long threads).

I believe backpedaling started in Washington DC. ;)

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2009, 10:42:16 AM »
JVB,
Seeing as how our first Washington was Philadelphia, I stand pat!  ;)
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

DMoriarty

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2009, 10:59:07 AM »
Having has too many gin and tonics the question arose, what games/sports require going backwards to win?

I came up with swimming/backstroke.

Tug-o-war.

Any sculling event.

Help, what else?

Bob

Golf at The Old Course when the the golfer played to the nine greens out, then reversed and played back to the same greens in opposite order?
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back