News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Shane Wright

A Tribute to another Old Tom
« on: July 25, 2009, 09:32:42 PM »
Much has obviously been discussed here recently about Tom Watson's recent success in the Open Championship. 

My immediate reaction to the 8 iron on 18 followed by what happened next was pure devastation.  My next reaction was to write Tom a letter expressing support and thanks for not only what he did in the 09 Open but the effect he has had on my life.  While I haven't written him a letter yet, I feel compelled to pay tribute to him.

It was 1982, I was 5 years old, the Open Championship was at Royal Troon and I distinctly remember sitting down to watch with my dad in Topeka, KS.  I had seen my dad watch golf almost weekly, but I took a look at the screen and noticed immediately how different the course looked.  I was confused.  This didn't look like the golf courses I had seen my dad watch every week.  I don't remember what my exact question was, but I do remember my dad sitting me down and giving me an explanation which went something like this:

"Son, this is Tom Watson.  My favorite golfer in the world.  He is from Kansas City (I of course knew all the about the Kansas City Royals).  And he absolutely thrives in the worst of conditions.  He loves playing in the British Open because the wind and rain are so prevalent and the courses are so much different.  There are no trees, the ball runs hard and fast, deep sand bunkers, etc.  When the conditions are the worst, he plays the best.  He embraces the conditions and thrives.  He overcomes adversity and the elements.  He is one of the best golfers of all time.  AND he is a true gentlemen off and on the course."

I remember in a 5 year old type of thinking, "I love who my daddy loves, and he seems really excited about this guy!  I want to learn more."

This initial conversation with my dad started an entire world of curiosity and education.  I remember reading anything I could get my hands on about British Open golf, links golf courses, Scotland, etc.  It wasn't easy to do growing up in Topeka, KS in the 80's.  The amount of education at the touch of a button and number of books now is just incredible.  But back then, I had to work a little harder to find info.  I wrote my first research paper (sometime around 8th grade) on the British Open Rota Courses and told myself that someday I would travel to experience them. 

Thru my years in college, I slowly put together a group of "best" friends who would not only make a great foursome, but who would also have an equally keen interest in experiencing the best of golf and its history, who wouldn't mind the elements, who could deal with the quirkiness, didn't mind brown fairways, burns, pot bunkers, etc.  I made sure none of them had ever rooted against Tom Watson before!  :)  Our letters and emails always closed with "til the Road Hole." 

After the tragic loss of my mom in 2001, I called on our foursome to see if we could finally make it happen.  It became a reality that year and formed a bond which led to many subsequent trips abroad and here in the U.S.

Old Tom opened up a world to me.  I love embracing the wind and rain.  I cherish the opportunities to experience the world's finest links and to learn more about them.  I am forever thankful for the relationships that have formed because of his inspiration. And maybe, most importantly, he has always been a wonderful example of how to win and lose graciously.  He has been one of the true gentlemen of the game.

He asked in his press conference that hopefully people would remember him as "One heckuva golfer."   

Tom you ARE "one heckuva golfer" AND so much more.

Thank you for the life lessons you have taught.  I know that I am not the only one that aspires to take them with me.

John Kirk

Re: A Tribute to another Old Tom
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 01:19:08 PM »
Bump.

I liked this heartfelt tribute.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 01:29:18 PM »
More on Mr. Watson:

Article, "Tom Watson, golfer, civil rights activist" found here:  http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/yaki/detail?entry_id=43878

Shane Wright

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 06:56:16 AM »
Dan,

Thanks for sharing this story.  I had heard the same thing a number of years ago.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back