News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Cenci

Champion Hills (Benzonia, MI)
« on: July 13, 2009, 09:02:16 PM »
Never did I ever think that I would post pictures on this web-site of a course like Champion Hills (designed by a former Band Director at the local high school).  But after playing it again this past week for like the 10th time and paying $35 to play 18 with a cart during peak rate times I decided to snap a few picks and post them.  Really a neat course with a linksy feel.

I grew up paying neighboring courses Pinecroft Golf Plantation (designed by Lee Stone who I'm pretty sure designed and operates Champion Hills who by the way was the former band teacher at my high school) and Crystal Lake.  Just a neat course and feel out there and when you throw in the value you can't beat it.

Have anybody else played the course?  Feelings?

JC Jones

Re: Champion Hills (Benzonia, MI)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:28:04 PM »
I haven't played it but I agree, that looks like a steal.  Reminds me of Calderon Farms near Jackson (only with better vistas!!).  I might have to squeeze a round in there before heading south.

Thanks for the pictures.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 09:33:38 PM »
I haven't played it but I agree, that looks like a steal.  Reminds me of Calderon Farms near Jackson (only with better vistas!!).  I might have to squeeze a round in there before heading south.

Thanks for the pictures.

Heading south? To GR? Better bring the salve..... ;D

Champion Hills looks like a fun place to deliver a whoopin'.....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
I played it last summer and I REALLY LIKED it. Minimalist, sort of dried out, lots of fairway roll. A very fun and enjoyable round...

The rest of the pics are here:

http://www.hetzelfamily.org/golf/Michigan%20Courses/Champion%20Hill/
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

JC Jones

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 09:47:04 PM »

Thanks for the pictures.

Heading south? To GR? Better bring the salve..... ;D

Champion Hills looks like a fun place to deliver a whoopin'.....

Joe

I'll meet you there, anytime you want big boy.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Mike Boehm

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 09:50:34 PM »
I've played Champion Hills a few times.  It is a fun place to play and priced fairly for what you get.  I like the look of the place and it does afford some nice views along the way.  The course certainly gives you a chance to make some birds and get off to a strong start with the 1st 3 holes being potentially reachable par 4s and the 5th (I think) being a very reachable par 5.  The back is definitely the tougher side as I recall and closes with a couple back-to-back par 5s that have the potential to blow up a scorecard a bit.  Some nice views along the way and a few interesting holes.  Added bonus - the course has allows you to bring your own cooler packed with the contents of your choosing.  Worth seeing if in the area and have some time to kill, but not one I'd make a special trip to see.

JC Jones

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 09:52:16 PM »
Added bonus - the course has allows you to bring your own cooler packed with the contents of your choosing. 

Dont tell Hancock that.  Or if you do, dont tell the ATF, FBI or DEA that he is playing there.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:55:14 PM by JC Jones »

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 04:14:01 PM »
Brian,

I have played and walked both Champion Hills and Pinecroft.  I loved both courses.  Wonderfull use of the the land, great views and both courses are very fun.  I must be one of only a handfull to walk b/c when I finished the people in the shop could not believe I walked.

Chris

Jon Heise

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 04:21:59 PM »
Hmm, there's pretty decent land for golf courses in that area, eh?
I still like Greywalls better.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 09:06:03 PM »
Interesting corollary to the Arcadia/Crystal Downs thread --I know a CD member that raves about Champion Hill. I've played Pinecroft many times and will definitely try to get over to CH in August on my vacation up north.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 10:38:23 PM »
Hmm, there's pretty decent land for golf courses in that area, eh?

The terrain for both courses is wild.

Buck,

I highly recommend playing CH the next time you are up there.

Chris

Brent Carlson

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 10:54:28 PM »

If those pictures don't make you miss living in Michigan I don't know what will.  Great golfing land up north.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back