News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

OLD UNION in pictures
« on: July 13, 2009, 11:20:09 AM »
Yesterday I had the pleasure of playing the newly opened Old Union GC in Blairsville, GA with A.G. Crockett, Anthony Gray and Mike Christensen.  I really enjoyed playing this golf course.  It's amazing that it only opened last week as the turf has grown in beautifully and the greens were smooth and receptiive.  Hopefully A.G. and Anthony will chime in with commentary (Mike - I know you're lurking!), I gotta run for now, but will be back.  

I think they're in order from 2 to 18, though no pics of #1...sorry.

Eric

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 11:54:43 AM by Eric Smith »

Mark Pritchett

Re: OLD UNION in pictures
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 11:25:42 AM »
Eric,

Thanks for the pictures.  I am going to try to get over there while I am at Big Canoe this Labor Day.  Was there any significant elevation change on the course?

Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 11:59:26 AM »
Eric,

Thanks for the pictures.  I am going to try to get over there while I am at Big Canoe this Labor Day.  Was there any significant elevation change on the course?

Mark,

Little to no elevation change on the front, but on the back there is a bit on the way up to 10 green, 11 tee and then some nice rolls in the fairway there.  But all in all you are playing in a valley with the creek meandering throughtout the property.  You should play this course on your trip up to Big Canoe for sure.

Eric

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 12:43:18 PM »

EAT YOUR HEART OUT SANDMAN!

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 01:12:07 PM »
The course looks really good to me.

I really love the look of those raised up and sharpened off bunker edges. Almost a modern/retro throw back to the old days.

P.S.  Anthony, great out of the bunker....did you get it on the green?   ;D

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 05:07:35 PM »
Thanks to Eric for both putting the outing together and for the pictures, which are excellent. 

Old Union is a very good golf course, on similar terrain and with a similar feel to Brasstown Valley for those of you who have seen that Denis Griffiths course.  I think that, as with Brasstown, Old Union looks a little more difficult than it plays because of the raised bunker edges; the landing areas off the tees are pretty generous.  (That said, if you do get off the fairways into the fescue, your golf ball is GONE!)  Also, much less elevation change overall than you would expect for a course in the mountains. 

The greens were perfect, which caught all of us by surprise, given that the course just opened this week.  We wondered, really, why it hadn't opened before this, but it must business-related; it certainly wasn't due to the conditions of the course.  It is a beautiful piece of property, as the pictures show, and there is a lot of land.  I think that it is the 10th Denis Griffiths course that I've played, and I have yet to be disappointed.  Old Union is pretty remote, and I'll be interested to see how it goes for them, but it is a solid golf course and worth the trip to see if you are in the area. 

BTW, we played it at around 6400 yds., which was the third set of tees and PLENTY of golf.  The back tees aren't completely finished yet, and I'm not sure why they would be; they make the course 7800 yds.!
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 06:18:50 PM »
Is the below-green waterfall effect a Denis Griffiths signature feature?  It looks very much like the thing below the 14th green at Château Élan.  Old Union looks really nice; I too like the sharp-edge bunkers.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 06:38:11 PM »
I also like the sharpness of the edges, they contrast nicely with the softness of the long grass and the park-like setting. It looks like they are raised/angled to send water away from the pits and hollows, plus, all the horizontal areas look to be an easy mow w/sit on machinery.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 06:48:59 PM »
I like the overall look of the course... a bit of a modern take on Raynor.

A few questions...

1) Are the greens as flat as they look? They seem to have few internal contours.

2) Did the waterfall shock you? It did me!!! I was flipping through the pictures when WHAM, a waterfall. He kind of had me until then.

3) In the second picture there is an odd shaped ground feature... is this indeed just a feature or I am looking at part of a bunker?

4) Same thing in the 4th picture... is that just a hump? If so, I love it! As I look through all the pics there seem to be a good number of ground features placed in your way.

5) Does the course have continuous cart paths? Some seem a bit too obvious in the pictures.

6)  Finally, one of the pictures shows a drain near the green in what seems to be the direct line of play... is that the case or is the angle just giving me that impression.

Thank you for the photos. I'm looking forward to learning more about this course.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 07:00:46 PM »
I like the overall look of the course... a bit of a modern take on Raynor.

A few questions...

1) Are the greens as flat as they look? They seem to have few internal contours.

2) Did the waterfall shock you? It did me!!! I was flipping through the pictures when WHAM, a waterfall. He kind of had me until then.

3) In the second picture there is an odd shaped ground feature... is this indeed just a feature or I am looking at part of a bunker?

4) Same thing in the 4th picture... is that just a hump? If so, I love it! As I look through all the pics there seem to be a good number of ground features placed in your way.

5) Does the course have continuous cart paths? Some seem a bit too obvious in the pictures.

6)  Finally, one of the pictures shows a drain near the green in what seems to be the direct line of play... is that the case or is the angle just giving me that impression.

Thank you for the photos. I'm looking forward to learning more about this course.

Michael,
The greens overall are pretty flat.  Contours are very subtle, and there are not multilevels and such.

We knew the waterfall would get a reaction here!  I don't know it that was something that he had to put in or what; no idea.  It doesn't really look that odd in person, though.

I don't believe the bumps in either the 2nd or 4th pictures are parts of bunkers, and I don't know if things were built up or cut away to form those.  Does provide a cool look and some interest.

Cart paths are continuous; didn't seem obtrusive in person.

I wish I could remember the drain picture well enough to tell you where it is relative to the line of play, but I just don't.

Maybe the other guys will have stronger recollections; I was the oldest (by a lot, I'm afraid) and memory may not serve me well in all cases.

BTW, I'm headed for Sunset Beach week after next; any great deals going on in the MB area?
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Eric Smith

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 07:06:33 PM »
I like the overall look of the course... a bit of a modern take on Raynor. Yes sir.  Word of the day was 'Rossnor', coined by Mike Young on here, I believe.

A few questions...

1) Are the greens as flat as they look? They seem to have few internal contours.  Yes, they were relatively flat but did have enough break to keep you interested.  Definitely not any little contours to be found however.

2) Did the waterfall shock you? For sure!  I guess it was a drive-in feature to sell homes as the road to the future clubhouse and the home lots went right around and past this hole. It did me!!! I was flipping through the pictures when WHAM, a waterfall. He kind of had me until then.

3) In the second picture there is an odd shaped ground feature... is this indeed just a feature or I am looking at part of a bunker? I loved this shaped feature just behind the par 3 2nd hole and as you can see there were lots of cool features shaped throughout to draw your eye to and I really appreciated the architect's willingness to insert these features into the design.  They're just neat little touches found all over the course.

4) Same thing in the 4th picture... is that just a hump? Yes again.  Anthony commented that in a lot of ways they reminded him of the fairway features he saw at The Castle Course, without the beards. If so, I love it! As I look through all the pics there seem to be a good number of ground features placed in your way.

5) Does the course have continuous cart paths? Yes. Some seem a bit too obvious in the pictures. There's really no rough yet, all of the mow lines are painted in orange along the ground so maybe when they stop mowing all of it the paths might blend a bit better.

6)  Finally, one of the pictures shows a drain near the green in what seems to be the direct line of play... is that the case or is the angle just giving me that impression.  That picture is taken from the path.  It is a reachable par 4 (#11 is 280 from the white tees) and that ball you see to the left of the pic is my drive which I hit out to the right side of the fairway to try to take the contour and feed the ball on to the green.  Just came up 30 yds short!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 07:32:44 PM »
AG - I am going to be in North Litchfield July 25-31. Are those your dates? If so, maybe we can meet in the middle somewhere for a game?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 07:36:53 PM »
Eric & AG - Thanks for the responses. I love those ground features! I wish more courses incorporated them into their designs. There is a course in England I have played a couple of times that uses unusual ground features such as those (Huntercombe). What a great way to create interest with little cost and a great deal of creativity.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 08:25:26 PM »
AG - I am going to be in North Litchfield July 25-31. Are those your dates? If so, maybe we can meet in the middle somewhere for a game?

We are there from the 25th to the 1st, and whenever possible my brother-in-law and I make a trip to Pawley's and do a 36 hole day at Caledonia and True Blue; they usually have a special rate for the replay, so it becomes affordable and worth the drive down to do that.  I'll try to call them on Wed. to see what the possibilities are, and get back to you.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 08:40:40 PM »
So A.G., how did that Scottish thing work out in play, i.e., could the ground game be used over those interesting contours?

The photos make this look like an interesting course.  Some of the abrupt contours and elevation changes remind me of the original course at Grand Cypress near Disney Orlando (Nicklaus relatively early).

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 09:16:24 PM »
So A.G., how did that Scottish thing work out in play, i.e., could the ground game be used over those interesting contours?

The photos make this look like an interesting course.  Some of the abrupt contours and elevation changes remind me of the original course at Grand Cypress near Disney Orlando (Nicklaus relatively early).

Bill,
Yes, given that we're talking about pretty lush Bermuda, which you know well enough.  Griffiths leaves pretty good options for that, IMO, and as a 57 yr. old with semi-shot nerve endings, believe me that I absolutely depend on bump and run stuff when I miss the green.

I have a question for you:  What in the hell am I doing telling a guy named McBride ANYTHING about Scotland, anyway?

Eric Smith

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 09:27:11 PM »

Bill,
Yes, given that we're talking about pretty lush Bermuda, which you know well enough.  Griffiths leaves pretty good options for that, IMO, and as a 57 yr. old with semi-shot nerve endings, believe me that I absolutely depend on bump and run stuff when I miss the green.

I have a question for you:  What in the hell am I doing telling a guy named McBride ANYTHING about Scotland, anyway?

Semi shot nerve endings?  Give me some of those then as you have one of the smoothest power swings I've ever seen! 

Yes, it is difficult to bump it through the bermuda, especially when it has some moisture on it.

p.s. you're not that much older than Anthony. ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 10:19:03 PM »

Bill,

Ha ha LOL!  I would agree if my name were "MacBride," but my "McBride" roots lie in County Armagh, Northern Ireland.

Glad to hear the ground game will work with a dry regimen.  Pensacola Country Club has 419 fairways and somehow the ground game is mostly in play even in mid-summer.  In winter it's almost like links turf.  There are a couple of regularly wet areas that continue to confound and irritate me.  ??? >:(

John_Cullum

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 10:20:37 PM »
I question the wisdom of naming a course in the deep South "Old Union" (although I know why it's named that)

How was the 19th hole fellas?
"We finally beat Medicare. "

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 10:29:43 PM »
I question the wisdom of naming a course in the deep South "Old Union" (although I know why it's named that)

There was no 19th hole; the "clubhouse" right now is a very small trailer, soon to be replaced by a temporary clubhouse.  At this point, there is not a paved parking lot, even.  We all had long drives back home, so we were gone pretty quickly after the end of the round.  Union County is a dry county, so I don't know what that means to the club going forward. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:32:57 PM by A.G._Crockett »

Eric Smith

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 11:18:19 PM »

There was no 19th hole; the "clubhouse" right now is a very small trailer, soon to be replaced by a temporary clubhouse.  At this point, there is not a paved parking lot, even.  We all had long drives back home, so we were gone pretty quickly after the end of the round.  Union County is a dry county, so I don't know what that means to the club going forward. 

The mobile 19th hole

Anthony Gray

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 08:08:55 AM »

A couple observations.

The course is definatly not scotish. Does not play fast and firm. Some of the angles on the land forms remind you of things seen at Kingsbarns or the castle course.

Many things are briliantly protected from view. Crossing hazards (which the long hitter Eric seem to find) and landing areas which play with your mind.

Loved the bunkering...some were in play and some were eye candy but had a nice flow.

I enjoyed Eric as usual and it was great to meet Mike and AG. Mike is a well traveled golfer and I enjoyed him shareing some of his experiences. I would one day to like to play TOC in reverse with Bill Mc Bride. AG has the steadiest swing I have ever seen. His head never moves and his spine angle never changes...nice to watch.

The 16th waterfall hole is across from the clubhouse site so I think it adds to the ambiance whem driving in.

Two thumbs up. If you play 4 times the fifth round is free.

The drive back in the rain with the top down was pretty cool until we were stoped by the only trafic light on the way.

Anthony

John_Cullum

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 09:19:54 AM »
My reference was to the dry nature of the 19th.

By the way, the gentleman at the wheel bears a striking resemblance to Jay Flemma
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 11:36:45 AM »

Who owns a Mazda MX-5?

I presume this golfer plays off the Ladies Tees, as we call that a Hairdressers car in GB. Or in other words, the car shows more of your feminine side leading to a clear picture of your lifestyle.  Second concern is men with beards. However, the real point is that no serious golfer would want to been seen in a car that can’t hold two set of clubs easily. Does that mean that these two gentlemen (using the word very loosely) are not serious golfers?

Sorry, I may be wrong but could it be one of those new black Mazda electrical sport carts I read about. Technical Specif. 1-18 holes in around 5-6 hours. Sporty two seater. Boot (ops sorry trunk - built to accommodate library collection of yardage books and electronic aids with GPS facility to find trunk. Lights fitted as standard due to 5-6 hour rounds travelling back from the 18th Green to clubhouse in the dark (nothing new there for most golfers that use carts – they always seem to be looking for something, but perhaps just missing it – whatever it may be). I hear that the USGA are considering installing a limiter of 5 hours between charges to try to speed up the game. Apparently, a 15-minute warning will illuminate the cart advising players to return ASAP. Fail to return within the 15 minutes the carts stops and GPS signal activates for Superintendent to come and remove the offending cart from the course. Towing charge of $150 will apply so will fine of $150 for not returning cart on time. However, sources at the R&A, are concerned as it probably will not affect most in GB&I, Europe, Australia, Africa, Asia, South America or Canada however it may force the game from being played in another area (Oh dear, what a pity, never mind).

So be aware of black sports cars being used by hairdressers as golf carts. The consequences may have a serious effect not just upon your game but that played in your country.

Melvyn

PS Do they really use the Ladies Tees as well? 

Special Note
It was not the intention to hurt any dumb animal, creature or to portray anything that resembles a living human being during the posting of this thread.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 11:38:58 AM »
That looks like a Miata to me, but perhaps it is a MX-5   ;)  ;D

I guess either way it doesn't make a difference

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back