News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Snead vs. Nicklaus
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 12:20:27 PM »
I've attached the Google Earth aerial to attempt a comparison.  This shows the area to the right of the 9th green.  While its hard to tell for sure, I'm guessing that tee box at least partially slid into the ocean and is likely no longer usable/safe.  Sure seems like that would be an awesome tee box to restore and use a sea wall like many sections of the 18th to keep it there.

Edit:

After studying it further, I guess they likely wouldn't restore it as that beach is public and would likely be too much of liabilty with having people tee over it all day long.

Tis a pity! :(
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 12:26:56 PM by Kalen Braley »

JC Jones

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 01:08:19 PM »
Wow, they've lost a few pin positions on 7 since 1963.  Its a shame.

Pot bunker was definitely a need addition to the hole ::) ::)
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 01:25:47 PM »

What did I see ?     Was the tee on the 10th near the cliff, and required a decent carry across the chasm ? 

Was that a one-off tee just for the match ?

Did subsequent cart path installations push the tee up the hill,  much further from the cliff  ?

I am sure that tee wasn't there the first time I played Pebble in 1978. So it must have been lost to the ocean sometime between 1964 and 1978.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 01:31:53 PM »
In thinking about it, I think I understand why Nicklaus loves Pebble so much.  It's a fader's heaven except for the tee shots on 3, 15 and 18, and was probably much moreso back when players worked the ball as a standard playing practice.

I liked the view of Jack's small draw into #8....he seemed surprised that he had hit a draw instead of the fade that he said was his preferred flight for that shot.

Other views I liked were the 1 and 2 iron shots up to #6.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009, 01:59:18 PM »
Bunkers had deep beach sand, but fried eggs and buried lies came out soft.
No cart paths.

17 Mile Drive ran alongside the right side of #2, range to its right.

Is that bunker right of #16 still there?

Green fees likely still covered the maintenance costs.

Pete,

That is not the 17 Mile Drive to the right of #2. It is the access drive to the Beach and Tennis Club, the current Spa and the Lodge.

The bunker at#16 is still there.

The Green Fee was $7.00.

Bob

Jed Peters

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2009, 02:23:35 PM »
Pete,

That is not the 17 Mile Drive to the right of #2. It is the access drive to the Beach and Tennis Club, the current Spa and the Lodge.

The bunker at#16 is still there.

The Green Fee was $7.00.

Bob

I rather like the story my dad told when he went to Stevinson.....

The starter would say "Have fun boys!" and let them tee it up for free!

He said he still has never played past #10 as they'd walk from there down to the beach to smoke cigarettes.....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back