News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Randy Thompson

Looking for photos of wildflowers used in golf design
« on: July 12, 2009, 11:10:37 AM »
I am interested in collecting some photos of wildflowers used in golf courses, especially in relations to par three´s or green complexes in general. Usually there mixed in with other tall native grasses and produce in my opinon a natural look with excelelnt contrast to a small tounge green appriach and the dark green color of a putting green. If anyone has some good examples, I would be forever in debted. If you have trouble posting pictures, you are not alone and can send them directly to me at, agolf@chilesat.net Thanks, you guys and this site it the best thing since Mom´s homemade bread!! ;D

Joe Hancock

Re: Looking for photos of wildflowers used in golf design
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 12:50:01 PM »
Randy,

Here's a few, all on par 3's....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 02:03:40 PM »
Randy, I think if you go back and go through almost any of the course tours on this site, you will find some good photos with wildflowers.

Does gorse count?  This is from Kyle Henderson's photo tour of Dornoch recently:

Desert wildflowers at Black Mesa in New Mexico:

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 02:06:05 PM by Bill_McBride »

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 02:11:07 PM »
Here are some photos of a course I designed in Sagogn, Switzerland - the photos are taken during the grow-in.

Wild flowers are great natural decoration but tend to develop quite thick vegetation so we avoid bringing them too close to the the playing areas.

The reward is a continual flowering of different varieties and colours over the season - and the environmentalists love the wild flowers as well. :)

Randy Thompson

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 02:50:23 PM »
Thanks to all, I agree they need to be kept outside of high playing area but on par three´s it seems to work exceptionally well because of the one shot philosphy and a designagted target. Bill I like what you posted but what flips my switch is more different colors during all the seasons..too much of the same look leaves me yerning something. Thanks hopefully some more will come in.

JC Jones

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 02:56:38 PM »
Randy,

I dont have any pictures but hopefully those who've played Kingsley Club do (I post this in hopes they read it).  Kingsley has wildflowers all over the back nine.  I forget who was responsible or the exact number (something like 20,000 seeds planted) but Dan Lucas was telling us about it during our round there with him.

Different ones bloom so there are flowers all season long.  It adds a great touch to an already gorgeous course.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jamie Barber

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 04:04:10 PM »
Take a look at the gallery at Hankley Common the UK. Glorious heather... www.hankley.co.uk
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 04:21:30 PM by Jamie Barber »

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 05:03:32 PM »
Randy,

I don't have any personal photos, but here is a link to Wildflower golf course in Northern Minnesota.  I played there about a decade ago. I remember some great wildflower color on a few holes. This website has a poorly chosen green background that takes away from the photos. Also, there might be someone at this course that can help you out too.

<<http://www.wildflowergolfcourse.com/index.htm>>

Norbert P

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 02:38:12 PM »
Here are some photos of a course I designed in Sagogn, Switzerland . . . .

Nice photos John.  I assume there's some edelweiss in the mix.     
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 03:20:11 PM »
Thanks for the compliment Slag,

Sorry no Edelweiss here as they can only be found in rocky mountainous areas at elevations above 6’000 feet above sea level -  but dozens of other wild flowers.

The ecologists insist that only local varieties  be seeded to avoid upsetting the genetics.
To find the right the seed mixture we visit neighbouring hay lofts and collect the seeds off the floor.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 03:33:10 PM »
Thanks for the compliment Slag,

Sorry no Edelweiss here as they can only be found in rocky mountainous areas at elevations above 6’000 feet above sea level -  but dozens of other wild flowers.

The ecologists insist that only local varieties  be seeded to avoid upsetting the genetics.
To find the right the seed mixture we visit neighbouring hay lofts and collect the seeds off the floor.

I Hope your ecologist is a nice looking girl, kind of an Alpen Rose :). That would sure make visiting the local hay lofts more interesting ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back