News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Golf on the Honor System
« on: July 10, 2009, 09:13:12 AM »

Anthony Gray

Re: Golf on the Honor System
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 11:09:09 AM »

The place I first golfed was a nine holer owned and maintained by one man. He had a payment box. Where have you gone Joe Dimaggio?

Anthony

Norbert P

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 11:35:10 AM »
Thanks for sharing, David. That was a fun read. 

We have Husum Hills in the wintertime doing that.  5 bucks for all day golf. "Please don't play if ground is frosty"
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
I have remarked on Traigh Golf Club before but if anyone is in the West Highlands, play here.You might realize that perhaps we have lost the way with our multi-million dollar "must plays."

Bob

http://www.traighgolf.co.uk/

BCrosby

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 12:03:39 PM »
Don't know if it still exists, but there was once a nine hole course called Maxinkuckee Golf Club near Culver, Indiana. It had a box with a slot for payment at the first tee. An old painted sign asked golfers to pay $5 or whatever they could afford.

No clubhouse, no carts, no dress code, no food, no drinks. It was wonderful.

Bob

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 02:25:39 PM »
That place looks like a lot of fun and also a lot of we really need in golf these days.  Annual dues 135 quid.  I loved this description of the second hole, really makes me want to get by there for a round next trip over:

"The second, 'Cistern', heads at right angles from the last green up the side of a small burn on the left to a plateau green hidden discreetly behind a few aged oak trees. A par three at this 218 yard hole feels like a birdie and could be reason for an early sip from the hip flask."

;D

Brent Hutto

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 03:06:08 PM »
I would need a couple sips before even hitting the tee shot to that "Par 3". And maybe another before the 9-irons over the trees I'd need to hit next. Par would probably mean holing out a wedge shot...now that mean taking a big sip.

Doug Wright

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 03:52:10 PM »
Interesting David, when Ash Towe was here a couple nights ago having dinner with us he mentioned that a number of the local New Zealand courses have honor boxes. The old Musselburgh Links had the nonor box a number of years ago when I visited--not sure it does now though.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 03:50:17 PM »
Would anyone here want to pay with someone who cheats before he even begins the game?

Golf may be the only sport that could use such a concept.  I like that.

WW

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back