News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dave Falkner

Should the sand in bunkers be consistent?
« on: July 12, 2009, 08:52:11 PM »
Dont know if this is an architecture question per se or a maintenance  issue but I was wondering to day should bunkers be consistent in terms of the sand.  My home course is fairly inconsistent, some with very little some with lots of fluffy stuff.  It definitley make sit more interesting!

Carl Johnson

Re: Should the sand in bunkers be consistent?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 09:05:19 PM »
No, not if they're hazards.  Yes, if they're not.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 09:06:57 PM »
Dont know if this is an architecture question per se or a maintenance  issue but I was wondering to day should bunkers be consistent in terms of the sand.  My home course is fairly inconsistent, some with very little some with lots of fluffy stuff.  It definitley make sit more interesting!

Absolutely not.

The hazard of being in the hazard is not the difficulty of the lie, but the unpredictability of the lie.

What bunkers/sand add to the mix is uncertainty in the assessment of the shot ahead. Consider the following situation:

200 yards out from a green defending by bunkers on the left and right. Under consistent sand conditions, the golfer is able to accurately assess the risk - simply, the golfer is able to determine the exact types of lies found with the various mishits. A reasonably good bunker player can prepare better and actually dunk it in the bunker in the correct situation.

Take away the certainty and suddenly bunkers become far more in the "wild card" category in terms of difficulty. You could get a great, manageable lie, or you could get a lie where the ball is barely hittable. This ultimately leads to a few things. First, the judicious use of bunkers by the golf architect and more reliance on the land to provide a balance of hazard and reward. Second, a serious application of strategy through the green as the player off the tee must mind the areas that are "prepared" to be uncertain. Imagine if said green had bunkers situated such that play from the left was a far safer option then play from the right - suddenly, the tee shot is vying for a position in the fairway to gain certainty in the approach.

Sam Maryland

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 09:20:01 PM »
Are bunkers on the PGA Tour "consistent"?

Ken Moum

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 10:18:04 PM »
The only reason to make them consistent is to make it easier for good players to save par. For the average player, consistent sand isn't enough help.

I say screw 'em.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Sandy Smith

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 12:22:35 AM »
I only really care that the depth of the sand is consistent to the ball and my stance  . There is nothing worse than setting in to a shot and feeling a good 4 to 6 inches of sand at your feet and then to discover only a skiff of sand below the ball . Can you say click ?
Firm greens, firmer fairways.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 12:27:01 AM »
I think they should be consistent, if not your tricking up the course and yes they are consistent on the PGA tour courses!

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 12:59:14 AM »

I started a thread on this point a few months ago and from what I learned, the USGA has a policy that the bunkers should not be consistent. I am still not sure of the rationale of that policy.

I will try to find that thread but recall that Jeff Mingay had a response.

Bob Jenkins

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 04:36:02 AM »
Bunkers originated from the sand-based links courses in Scotland. On those courses, presumably the entire site was based on the same sort of sand - the type of sand that made for linksland. So on the great original golf courses of Scotland, yes, the sand was consistent. Not necessarily pristine, but consistent. It seems contrived and unnatural to created different sand conditions in close proximity to each other, whether on a links course or a more artificial one. Yes, sand should be consistent from bunker to bunker.

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 05:09:56 AM »
It sounds like folks are measuring consistency in both depth and type of sand.  I don't see why either of these conditions should be met for bunkers though I don't understand why a club would use different types of sand for different bunkers.  On links, guaranteeing consistency with the depth of sand is nearly impossible.  Wind pushes sand around in the bunkers - thats life.  I can recall at Yeamans that there wasn't really any sand in the bunkers.  They played much more like waste areas. I would just call them waste areas and eliminate the hazard part. 

What I don't like is muddy/wet bunkers and they are all too common.  If a bunker gets easily flooded and/or it doesn't drain well (for whatever reason) it should either be fixed or filled in because it isn't serving its intended purpose. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back