News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Ireland golf
« on: July 08, 2009, 12:25:23 PM »
I have just been asked to join a group of 12 going to Northern Ireland this September.  They are playing Donegal Golf Club, Portsalon, Ballyliffin Old Course and Glashedy (twice.) How are these courses? I don't have much time to give them an answer...

Having never been to Northern Ireland, I feel like I should consider stretching my trip one day as a single and playing Royal Portrush. What do you think? THANKS!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 02:33:09 PM by Bill Brightly »

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: Northern Ireland golf
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 12:30:21 PM »
I have just been asked to join a group of 12 going to Northern Ireland this September.  They are playing Donegal Golf Club, Portsalon, Ballyliffin Old Course and Glashedy (twice.) How are these courses? I don't have much time to give them an answer...

Having never been to Northern Ireland, I feel like I should consider stretching my trip one day as a single and playing Royal Portrush. What do you think? THANKS!

I think you better stretch your trip two days and play Royal County Down as well.  I've played Donegal and the courses at Ballyliffin and found them all enjoyable.

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 01:20:33 PM »
I think this is a no brainer of a answer. If you can do it than "yes" would be that answer.I went last year and although I did not play the courses mentioned it was the trip of my life. If you can tack on a few more day's even better. I have a cousin who swears that ballylifin is the most underated course in Ireland and that the entire north west is underrated as a whole. Go for it I don't think you will be dissappointed !

Brad

ps

I echo the comments on Sligo, that I did play and well worth it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 02:35:54 PM by Brad Fleischer »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 01:22:58 PM »
I would find my way to Portrush, Port Stewart to upgrade a trip to that most beautiful area.

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 01:37:20 PM »
Bill

Of the courses you mentioned I've only played Donegal which was nice enough although County Sligo at Rosses Point which I played on the same trip was far superior. It is think it is closer than RCD or Portrush but all excellent courses (I believe and all within striking distance).

Niall

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 02:08:34 PM »
Bill -

I would encourage you to go for sure. If you can get to Royal Portrush or Portstewart for a day, it would be well worth your while.

Royal County Down is obviously well worth playing, but it is a much further journey from where you will be.

DT

mike_malone

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 02:13:27 PM »
 Technically, you are going to The Republic of Ireland!    Those courses are all in County Donegal.   My next trip will be only to Donegal courses, although I would certainly add County Sligo on the way up or back.  The lack of golf travel infrastructure is so refreshing.
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 02:21:19 PM »
 To answer your question----what else are you going to do? You would certainly want to play one of the top courses if it were your only trip. But, this trip ought to be much less expensive than one with several big names in it.

I have played Portsalon and Ballyliffen-Glashedy. They are worth playing.

As for Donegal, we will plan our next trip around its availability.
AKA Mayday

Bill Brightly

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 02:32:12 PM »
Mike, I stand corrected! We are flying into Belfast...I guess Grandma Brady would not be too pleased with me...

What else are we doing? You mean besides staying out real late at the pubs? This group is an 18-hole per day/hard drinking group, it's not the 36 holes per day trip that I would set up...

Do you think I can play Portstewart and Royal Portrush in the same day? Can I assume that at Portstewart I should play the Old Course?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 02:55:47 PM by Bill Brightly »

ClarkW

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 02:36:12 PM »
As mentioned earlier, you will be in small "n" northern Ireland as opposed to Northern Ireland proper. Different countries altogether and worth taking notice of ! Since you're already considering staying and playing another day or so, two thoughts from me:

--if you've never played in Northern Ireland, it is well worth a separate trip to play and really get a chance to enjoy Royal County Down, Royal Portrush and Portstewart. Play them more than once; and

--as long as you're already in the Donegal area, stay and play Sligo (aka Rosses Point) and/or Enniscrone. Especially if you're flying in and out of Shannon. I'm willing to wager that you'll enjoy both immensely and your wallet will appreciate it too! Great golf, great value.

Brad Tufts

Re: Ireland golf
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 02:43:24 PM »
Out of your list, I have only played at Ballyliffin, and I would prefer the Old course twice over Glashedy twice.

The Glashedy is hard, modern in its challenges, long, and beats you over the head a bit.

The Old is shorter, easier, quirkier, and has some of the bumpiest fairways you will ever see.

The two courses actually compliment each other quite nicely, but if (when) I was to return, my focus would be on the Old course at Ballyliffin.

I think the others above have mentioned the favorites that you could extend your trip to include.  I would also recommend Rosapenna.  The golf is wild, natural, and has a new 9 that was recently designed/refurbished by Renaissance Golf...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

ClarkW

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »
oops-- seems that you posted while I was giving my opinion based on the assumption of Shannon Airport. If you're flying in/out of Belfast then perhaps it makes better sense to play in the Portrush area on your extra day.

Yes, you could definitely play both Portstewart and Portrush in the same day; although some might suggest that you play both Portrush courses (Dunluce and Valley) instead. You can't go wrong either way. Good luck!

mike_malone

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 02:55:22 PM »
 What's Grandma's telephone number? I'm going to call her. I'm sure she didn't see this thread. She's too consumed by the Merion thread.
AKA Mayday

Bill Brightly

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 03:01:03 PM »
Bejaysus, she is no longer with us, but I suspect that I'll be answering to her about this soon enough...

Bill Brightly

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 01:56:55 PM »
OK, I am making plans to extend my trip to play Royal County Downs, then head up for 36 at Port Stewart and Royal Portrush.

They have several courses at each place, so I wan to make sure I get it right:

I want The Strand at Portstewart and the Dunlance Links at Royal Portrush, right?

Doug Wright

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 04:47:18 PM »
OK, I am making plans to extend my trip to play Royal County Downs, then head up for 36 at Port Stewart and Royal Portrush.

They have several courses at each place, so I wan to make sure I get it right:

I want The Strand at Portstewart and the Dunlance Links at Royal Portrush, right?

Portstewart Strand and Royal Portrush Dunluce Links. Twould be great if you could play either Portrush Valley and/or Castlerock while you are right there.

Re Ballyliffin, I had heard mixed reviews of Glashedy vs Old prior to booking. I ended up playing both and that was a good decision. It's interesting to see the differences between the newer Gashedy and the adjacent Old course, and the Glashedy has a number of very solid holes.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 06:00:41 PM »

Bill all good choices and for once the "Old" course at Portstewart is not the one to play. Only 7 holes there will barely hold your interest. As stated above the Strand is the one to play.

As Brad says I would also baulk at playing Glashedy twice when you could add Portsalon for 1.5 hrs in the car there and back. However I understand that when you join a group you play by their rules.

Search back a couple of weeks and find Sean's three threads on Dunluce, Valley and Strand courses.  I can understand the desire to play the name courses and certainly the experience of playing Dunluce and RCD will stay with you a lifetime. BUT even though Portstewart is one of my favourite places on Earth the most “funerest” course mentioned on this thread is the Portrush Valley.  It’s a gem, seriously underrated and not to be missed.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 06:25:05 PM »
Ballyliffin/Old Course #18

Ballyliffin/old Course #14

Ballyliffin/Glashedy #13

Ballyliffin/Glashedy #15

Leo Barber

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 08:13:10 PM »
I am currently in the UK having just had an amazing week in Ireland which included Ballybunion, Lahinch, RCD and Portrush.  From Belfast RCD is 1 hr south - Portrush 1hr nth easily do-able.  I couldn't talk those two courses up enough - they are truely special.  With the daylight there at the moment I could tee off at 6pm at all four (which I did) and comfortably complete 18 before the sun sunk at 10.15pm and darkness fully settled at 11pm.  I drove out to Castlerock from Portrush and ran the course - unbelievable land and some really great holes (no time for the golf), ran into a southern irishman back in Dublin from Donegal and he fully talked up Ballyliffen and now seeing the photos in the previous post I feel cheated I didnt head that way.  Off to Scotland in the morning...........

Bill Gayne

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 09:30:39 PM »

From Aidan's excellent pictures above, what's everyone thoughts about the blind bunker to the right of the green and the two blind bunkers behind the green?

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 10:46:52 PM »
From Aidan's excellent pictures above, what's everyone thoughts about the blind bunker to the right of the green and the two blind bunkers behind the green?

For a good golfer a hole is only blind once.  Green seems to slope from front to back and right to left.  If you try to use the slope to your advantage you bring the right side bunker into play.

Bill, I have played all of the courses on the original plan you mentioned and they are all worth the trip, unless you only want certified "top 100" material.  Donegal is my least favorite as the holes near the clubhouse are less linksy.  Portsalon is a hidden gem of a place and might be the most quirky one scheduled.  County Donegal is Irish golf at Myrtle Beach prices, it is increadible, don't expect to see any caddies unless they have some at Ballyliffen now.  Also it sounds like a fun group, which is just as important as the courses.

Proud member of a Doak 3.

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 05:02:52 AM »

Bill

I like the idea especially if there is a prevailing tailwind, the green slopes front to back and it is a reachable par 5 or even a reachable par 4. 

Bill

You only live once and besides, you are only spoiling yourself.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2009, 08:22:16 AM »
Those bunkers actually aid the golfer that goes long as without them you would be lucky to find your ball in the dunes and if you did, it would be a downhill wedge from an impossible lie to a green running away.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2009, 11:25:54 AM »
One thing to keep in mind is that RCD is only 30 miles away from Belfast, Portrush is 60 miles away. If on the North Coast try to get in the Giants Causway and Carrick-a-ree rope bridge. You would do well to note that prices for everthing (except fuel) is significantly cheaper in Northern Ireland than in the Republic.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2009, 11:33:59 AM »
Bill, I have played a lot of golf and have spent a lot of time in Ireland.  The golf is only half the experience.  The other half is made up of scenery, getting to know some of the locals, and driving on some of the world's worst roads on the other side of the road.  The courses you mentioned are good but not necessarily representative of the best Ireland has to offer.  County Donegal is a spectacular place. The scenery is worth the trip alone.  It is a no bainer to go.  As someone mentioned you are not going to Northeern Ireland but you are going to the north of Ireland, as they say.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back