News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Oden

Bobby Weed's Work at Linville Ridge
« on: July 07, 2009, 11:54:56 PM »
I am not particularly a fan of the Linville Ridge course as a whole.  But Bobby Weed's bunker work has at least breathed some life into what were previously comatose hazards.

Unfortunately, the needless bunkers above the 16th green are a bit over the top for my taste...

Sorry for the poor quality of some of the pics.  They were taken in virtual darkness.

Ed

Rob Rigg

Re: Bobby Weed's Work at Linville Ridge
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 12:15:37 AM »
Ed,

What did the hazards look like before?

Were they shallow saucers?

Is the white sand new?

The Weed bunkers are interesting - some seem a bit big or cumbersome for the greens they are protecting, and I agree that there appears to be some excess around the 16th.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 12:34:10 AM »
16 aside, this is a big improvement for Linville Ridge. Like you, Ed, this course is not my favorite, but mountain top courses like Linville are always difficult to pull off. I look forward to my next visit to see the improvements first hand. Thanks for posting the pics.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ed Oden

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 12:46:03 AM »
Rob, the old bunkers were very shallow and indistinguishable as to size and shape.  It would have been a stretch to call them hazards.  I do not believe, however, that the white sand is anything new.  While I am not entirely sold on Weed's style, from a playability standpoint, the new bunkers are head and shoulders above their predecessors.  FYI, #16 was the only spot I saw where things were clearly overdone.

Michael, as you note, the site is a tough one.  The routing is what it is.  Its not going to change.  So potential for improvement is largely limited to bunkers and greens.  While I am not convinced they fit aesthetically with the rest of the course, there is no doubt in my mind that Weeds work is significantly better than what was there before.

Ed

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 06:00:30 AM »
The bunker way up on the hill, in the last pic, is a waste.....

Tony Nysse
Pine Tree GC
Boynton Beach, FL
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Ed Oden

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 09:05:28 AM »

Tony Nysse
Pine Tree GC
Boynton Beach, FL

Tony, its not just the last bunker up the hill.  All but the bottom three on the left are well removed from the putting surface.  And even those are probably 5-10 yards away.  Here is the view from the angle of the back tee, which shows a little better how far up the hill they are...

Keep in mind that this is a very short par 4 typically approached with a short iron.  So the only way I could see a ball ever finding the bunkers up the hill would be the dreaded bladed wedge shot.

Ed 

Carl Johnson

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »

Tony Nysse
Pine Tree GC
Boynton Beach, FL

I've only played this course once and don't remember much about it except that once was enough for me.  However, regarding the "bunker(s) way up on the hill" (No. 16?), what would Weed have been thinking?  What would be the justification for them, if you had to defend them?  They may not be "in play," but -- deception?  aesthetic?  other?  If so, how do they come off?  And are they worth it?  I'd like to hear the insights of others.

Jason Mandel

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 03:16:13 PM »
I haven't seen anything other than the pics, but Ed says that 16th is a "very short par 4".  How short, is very short?  Is it possible those bunkers are there for those that try and drive the green and end up long?

Like I said I have no idea.  I do spend a lot of time on a Weed course, and one think I'm fairly certain about Weed, is that almost every hazard out on his courses have a purpose.

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

mike_malone

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 03:45:01 PM »
 Jason,

What could be the purpose of the bunker way behind # 18 green at Glen Mills? I only know it is well out of play. I'm not doubting you , but can't find a purpose myself.
AKA Mayday

Ed Oden

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 04:02:17 PM »
Jason, I don't have a scorecard with me.  But the as the crow flies distance per Google Earth is approximately 285 yards from the forward tee and 335 yards from the back tee.  While in theory that may seem drivable, in practice I don't believe it is because the hole plays substantially uphill and the stream that crosses the fairway diagonally is positioned almost exactly where most drives would land if going for the green.  The course is not long, so most golfers with the length to give it a go from the forward tee are in fact playing from the back tees.  This is really a layup/wedge hole.  A big hitter would have to be playing the wrong tee in order to have any chance at bringing the back bunkers into play.  I still say the bladed wedge is the only realistic possibility.  I suspect these bunkers are there for aesthetics or depth perception reasons.  The Google Earth images of Linville Ridge are very fuzzy.  But it doesn't look to me like the back bunkers pre-dated Weed's word.  Does anyone recall for sure?  Its been about 2 years since the last time I played that hole.

Ed

Jason Mandel

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 04:23:54 PM »
Ed,

Thanks.  From your description I would agree that it appears to be more depth perception than anything else.

Mayday,
The bunker behind 18 at Glen Mills is drawing a blank for me (only played it once).  PS.  Think I spotted Wayno yesterday crossing Adrmore Ave. as I was driving out to WM for a late 9.

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

mike_malone

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 04:36:49 PM »
 Was he caddying?
AKA Mayday

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 06:25:09 PM »
I actually like the look of the bunkers.  Is this course private or public?

Thanks,
Chris

Carl Johnson

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 07:17:32 PM »
I actually like the look of the bunkers.  Is this course private or public?

Thanks,
Chris

Private real estate development course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back