News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Rigg

The final photo tour from my Bandon adventure . . .

Personally, Trails was a close second Pacific because it had a lot of great elements even though it is missing the ocean side holes that can vault a course to the next level. I thought every hole was interesting and challenging, and there was a great mix of long/short par fours, reachable and three shot par fives, along with long/short par threes. Although it is set back from the ocean the wind is still a major factor, especially on the three finishing holes. As a walk, it is in the category of Chambers Bay which means not easy but still possible to knock off thirty six in a day.

Let's be honest, C&C totally killed this site and created something that absolutely competes with the other courses on the property. Maybe it is even the best test of golf???? PD was my favorite of the three, but BT was a close second.

http://www.thewalkinggolfer.com/Bandon_Trails.html

The other links just in case you missed them:

BD - http://www.thewalkinggolfer.com/Bandon_Dunes.html

PD - http://www.thewalkinggolfer.com/Pacific_Dunes.html

OM - http://www.thewalkinggolfer.com/Old_Macdonald.html

PCCraig

Re: Bandon Trails - the best course at the resort? Link to photo tour
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 08:47:17 AM »
I love this line;

"A chain of delicious bunkers..."

;D
H.P.S.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 10:07:00 AM »
Rob;

Thanks so much for the GREAT photo tours of the 4 resort courses, and the commentary that was generally spot on!

One clarification regarding the superintendent at Bandon Trails; Ken Nice is the supt. at Old Mac, as well as the overall resort supt.  Ken WAS the supt at Trails, and before that was in charge at Pac Dunes.  Quite a trio of accomplishment!!

Aaron Huntley ably manages the Bandon Trails course.

Regards,
Tom
the pres

Rob Rigg

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 12:58:43 PM »
Thanks Tom - Aaron is doing a killer job at Trails.

All of the courses are in wonderful condition - but I thought Trails deserved a specific call out for it's fabulosity.

I will update the review with the correction.

Thanks again.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 06:16:24 PM »
IMO Trails was the best. LOVED it.

Mark Arata

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 06:23:57 PM »
I could never go against PD, because it is pretty much my favorite course, but I think BT is a great course and far superior to BD in almost every way other than ocean views.

Will be up for Opening day at OM and on a 4-5 day stay I honestly do not foresee me playing more than one round at BD, if any.

My 10 round used to be 6-3-1, PD/BT/BD, thinking now it will probably be 4/4/2  PD/OM/BT  I have always scored the best at BD, but I really dont think it is anywhere as good as the other 2, now 3.

New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 11:00:04 PM »
May can't come soon enough. 

From these pics and friend's reviews, this one may be my favorite going in.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 09:00:38 AM »
Trails is the most artistic. Its beauty does not require views of an ocean or the other gimmicks used to make anyone think that an ocean view vaults a golf course to higher levels.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 09:16:17 AM »
Dunes 1 and Dunes 2 are oceanside overkill.  After a while, too much water.  Trails would be the one to fit one's overall aesthetic profile, as it offers dunes, meadow and timberland.  The weakest hole on the BD course as suggested by the intelligentsia is the 18th, coincidentally the one that returns the course to the dunes.

With complete disclosure, I've played BT once, PD once and BD twice, so I hardly count as an expert on the trio.  Not that such innocence will ever stop me from voicing an opinion.  Take it as less than the final word and we'll get along just fine.

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tim Pitner

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 01:55:48 PM »
Trails is the most artistic. Its beauty does not require views of an ocean or the other gimmicks used to make anyone think that an ocean view vaults a golf course to higher levels.

Adam,

Do you care to elaborate regarding the "other gimmicks"?  Are you saying Pacific Dunes is gimmicky? 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 02:06:11 PM »
Does the link provided completely load for everyone? I've tried on two networks now with no success loading the entire thing to get to Rob's rating.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 04:03:48 PM »
Does the link provided completely load for everyone? I've tried on two networks now with no success loading the entire thing to get to Rob's rating.

Yes, no problem here. 
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Rob Rigg

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 09:56:06 PM »
Garland - I think your computer is sandbagging on you - it's performance is really much better than it lets on! :)

Tim Bert

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 12:19:14 AM »
I wouldn't argue against Trails being more artistic than Bandon Dunes, but BD is more fun for me.  Despite Adam's comments, I actually find Bandon Trails more visually appealing than Bandon Dunes though I enjoy playing it less. 

For me, Pacific Dunes is both the most visually appealling and the most fun of the three existing courses.  On our last trip, our foursome voted unanimously to forego our second scheduled round on Bandon Trails for a 4th round at Pacific Dunes.  We had played Trails twice on a previous trip, so this wasn't just a gut reaction based on a one-time play.  I'm just glad every player and every group sees it a little differently or else we'd never be able to make last minute decisions to switch to Pacific Dunes in the afternoon.  As it stands, we've never had any difficulty moving around our afternoon rounds despite playing in late June every trip.

We are booked for 3 PD / 3 OM / 1 BT / 1 BD next June.  All the bonus evening golf will also take place at either PD or OM. 

Brent Carlson

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 01:42:00 AM »
Robb - another great write up.  Crewshaw and Coore sure know what they're doing.  It makes you wonder how much publicity this course would get were it not next to PD.  The look is totally to the west coast; a pine barrens/valley style course with great movement.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back