News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

My old home course is destroyed - Crestwood in Marcy, NY
« on: July 02, 2009, 09:56:43 PM »
When I was a kid, Crestwood ruled the roost when it came to public courses in the Mohawk Valley.  In the early 80s, its 7004 yards from the Blues were considered long and challenging.  It was 6780 from the whites.  The back reminded me of the courses I saw watching the british open, cut between hip high grasses.   A sinuous burn cut its way around the course.  It had city amateur champs for members and that old school..."put a ball in the starting thingy and when it comes up, you tee off" made it a homey, friendly place and the toughest test of all the public courses.  The greens rolled mighty fast, the conditions were great, and we had a ball.

but now, after about 15 years of a different owner who puts next to nothing into maintenance, the course is the worst disaster you could imagine.  Mud patches in the fairway.  no definable fairways.  browns not greens. rough for fairways.

It's utterly unplayable.  nobody goes there anymore.  everyone shakes their head and the course is a cautionary tale about the wrong owner without a clue.

I asked the owner if he'd consider a renovation.  No...he doesn't want to put any money into it.  People complain about the conditions...he shrugs his shoulders and says play somewhere else. 

Someone...anyone..with some $$ please make this man an offer he can't refuse to please sell the course and recleim this gem.  The sturdy backbone and soul of the course are there.  The regions golfers still recall the glory of its ancient history.  Someone do soemthing, because many golf hearts are breaking.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Jay Flemma

Re: My old home course is destroyed - Crestwood in Marcy, NY
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 06:54:22 PM »
bump.  fyi, I asked a bunch of locals what they thought and had three stories of "we want to play there, but the conditions actually got worse since theyaerated and topdressed and did it wrong," and "we just don't bother any more, he just takes the money and does nothing with the course" and "bare patches and dandylions everywhere you look.  You can't even get a lie in the fairway."
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Mike Benham

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 07:32:18 PM »
Why ask someone else to do something you can/should do yourself?

Make it your passion, the achievement that will make your life a success. 
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jay Flemma

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 07:43:59 PM »
I don't think he'll sell it, Mike.  And he won't renovate it.  What ideas do you have in a situation like that?

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 08:39:08 PM »
Crestwood opened in the  late 1950's I believe. Do you know who nthe architect was?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 08:54:25 PM »
The club opened in 1955, but nothing n the clubhouse opening day pix listed the archie.  Nothing listed on line either.  The golfweb page says it opened in1957, but that's wrong as the opening day pic and first round score card was from 1955.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 09:12:33 PM »
This sounds like a true tragedy, especially in an area such as upstate New York that is so rich with neat terrain.  I can imagine Crestwood was a joy to play back in the day.  We have a similar tragedy in Rochester in a course known as Durand Eastman, a wild Trent Jones layout that has been stripped to a shadow of its former glory.  I have heard similar things about the MacGregor Links in Saratoga Springs, an early Devereaux Emmet layout that was praised in George Thomas' Golf Architecture in America.

Durand Eastman is slightly different from Crestwood and MacGregor because it is county-owned.  However, the question remains: why would people continue to run and own these courses if they were so disinterested the quality of the golf courses.  It is not only maddening, but it sounds like poor business.  Who pays good money to play a course that is horrific condition when they could go elsewhere?  It is hard to believe the owners would be making any money with such a poor product.  If Crestwood and MacGregor were restored to their former glory (especially in the case of MacGregor, considering its location), they would attract golf nuts from all over Upstate NY.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 09:14:54 PM »
CRestwood in its hey-day was where you went to play when you thought you were good.  On weekends, it was heaven. now it's a barren wasteland.

If I get dragged there kicking and screaming tomorrow, I'll take pics. I hope not to go, but may have to BC of playing partners.

Mike Benham

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 01:13:11 PM »
I don't think he'll sell it, Mike.  And he won't renovate it.  What ideas do you have in a situation like that?

If he does not want to sell or put money into the facility, it can be proven to the City or County that they are not receiving maximum benefit (tax revenue) from the property and you might be able to get the authorities to invoke eminent domain and have the facilty acquired by an owner that can maximize reveunes for the city / county.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 01:41:35 PM »
Isn't that a little mercenary?  And expensive?  And unlikely to work?  It actually used to be STATE land, but he bought it.  Everyone agrees, something needs to be done.

I did get dragged there kicking and screaming and I'll post pix when I get back to the city.  At least the greens rolled nice and true...but they are MUCH smaller than they were when I was a kid.  You can see the size of the green pad and how the greens have shrunk 1/3 or more.

the tee boxes were jungles and the fairways were just long grass with tufted lies or bare spots.  It was difficult to play to say the least.

I got a pic of the day of incorporation plaque...summer 1955.  I'll post soon.

Mike Benham

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 11:47:31 PM »

Isn't that a little mercenary?  And expensive?  And unlikely to work?  It actually used to be STATE land, but he bought it.  Everyone agrees, something needs to be done.

In your initial post, you asked "Someone...anyone..with some $$ please make this man an offer he can't refuse to please sell the course and recleim this gem."

But then you stated he won't sell, he won't renovate, therefore, you answered your own question ...

As for other alternatives, I have made suggestions, you have shot them all down.  Not sure what else you want someone to do ...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back