News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

The ORIGINAL Overbrook GC course in Philadelphia.......
« on: December 11, 2009, 06:59:05 PM »
......who designed it and when was it first built?

To even have to ask this question on GOLFCLUBATLAS.com  is horribly embarrassing and humbling for the august contingent of expert architectural researcher/analyst/writers of Philadelphia who know everything there ever was to know about the history of Philadelphia architecture and architects and who don't need to be told anything about our area by anyone and certainly including a couple of duffus researching interlopers from outside our region who think they know something about the history of some significant courses here but for some reason we have all had a temporary and simultaneous researching mental power failure. We can't figure out who designed the original Overbrook course or when it was built.

So come on all you Uber architectural researher moles, now is your opportunity to show us up once and for all. And that includes you, Moriarty and MacWood, now is your chance to finally tell us something about Philadelphia architecture we didn't already know.

By the way, C&W is all over the place on Overbrook. They mention that C.B. McGovern designed the present course in 1952 which of course we've always known but then they attribute an Overbrook course to Xenephon P Hassenplug for designing it in 1947 with McGovern assisting.

Super Philadelphia Research Mole Joe Bausch (by the way, have any of you ever seen a real Golf Architecture Research Mole? They are a pretty funny looking species, for sure) has apparently found an article from the 1920s that mentions that William Flynn did some kind of redesign work on the original Overbrook course and we never knew that.

Come on you expert researchers and Research Moles, please help us out.

Who designed the original Overbrook golf course and when was it built?

PS:
Regardless of who designed the original course (another location from the present course) the fact that Xenephon P. Hassenplug had something to do with the present course is something I sure hope the club knows and features. I would say if that information gets out there to the public it should be good for about a hundred new members in at least a month. I mean seriously who wouldn't want to brag that they have a golf course by Xenephon P. Hassenplug?

There will even be bonus points for the first person to tell us what Xenephon P. Hassenplug's friends called him.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 07:03:48 PM by TEPaul »

Joe Bausch

Re: The ORIGINAL Overbrook GC course in Philadelphia.......
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 07:15:15 PM »
Tom, I am away from my files right now but I am certain Ross was involved.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 07:22:37 PM »
Seeing as how CBM had 'Ballyshear" all locked up, I'd guess XG's friends called him "Fireplug".
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 07:26:44 PM »
"Tom, I am away from my files right now but I am certain Ross was involved."

Joe:

You are? if so, that's good. I'm assuming you mean the original course. Do you think he was the original architect and if so have you any idea when that original course was built? I think Overbrook was a pretty prominent club way back when (not that it isn't now).

If Flynn did some redesign work on Ross's Overbrook course maybe that's another thing that goes into this old story around here that Ross was sort of pissed at the so-called "Philadelphia School of Architecture" for some reason. Something was going on with him in that vein. Joe Logan came across something about it some years ago but he couldn't figure out what it pertained to.

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 07:28:07 PM »
That's good Jimbo----very good. We like humor. Or should it be humour?

By the way, did you ever acknowledge that the name of CBM's estate in Mid Long Island was Phoenix Lodge and not Ballyshear which, according to his biographer, was the name he gave to his estate in Southampton and to his dog and cat and his wife and his son-in-law Herbie J. Whigs?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 07:31:31 PM by TEPaul »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 07:47:04 PM »
By the way, did you ever acknowledge that the name of CBM's estate in Mid Long Island was Phoenix Lodge and not Ballyshear

You're kiddng, right?
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 08:15:28 PM »
Am I kidding about asking whether you acknowledeged that I mentioned CBM's mid Long Island estate was called Phoenix Lodge? No, I'm not kidding. I asked the question on some other thread about what his estate in Mid Long Island was called and you answered Ballyshear, which as far as I know was the name of his estate in Southampton. I was just wondering if you saw and acknowledged that I responded to you that it was called Phoenix Lodge in Mid Long Island. Do you have some problem with me asking if you saw that and acknowledged it?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back