News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Plantation Bay Golf and CC
« on: August 04, 2009, 07:25:08 AM »
Has anyone played Plantation Bay in Ormond Beach? Wife is asking me to research this for her.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

John_Conley

Re: Plantation Bay Golf and CC
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 10:35:37 AM »
Is Plantation Bay the one with Prestwick and Club de Bonmont?  I played Prestwick three years ago when Bonmont was closed for the work Smyers did.  I've been told Bonmont is very challenging.  Prestwick is fun.  Nothing special, which is what you'd expect in that area.

For having lived an hour from the place for 16 years I'm surprised I almost never hear of it.  Either it maintains a low profile or I'm just running in a different circle.

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 02:45:24 PM »
Bonmont is terrific. Big, monumental green complexes and putting surfaces with great funnels, kicks and wings, and the ground movements leading into them have a lot of slope and slide, especially in the winter and early spring. Different shapes and looks on every hole.

Obviously it's limited by the setting--flat wetlands parallel to I-95 within a private development. But the original land plan seems pretty open and spacious and is quite mature at this point. Smyers built quite a bit of flow and movement into the holes as well. Very engaging. I think it's some of the best golf in that part of the state.
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 05:47:35 PM »
Definitley interested in this topic. I know Plantation Bay is just outside Palm Coast where the folks live. I have past the course's and do know they have two courses there but when I am in town I don't hear much about them from the local golfers.  Be curious to see some pics or hear some thoughts.

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 08:54:04 PM »
Club de Bonmont is worth a play if you can gain access.  Prestwick, not so much.  Club de Bonmont is a wall-to-wall Smyers re-do of the old Clifton-Ezell-Clifton layout, and is the "signature" course in the Plantation Bay community.  The bunkering is dramatic, even severe in places, and the whole place is much more visually stimulating and interesting from a shotmaking perspective.  I encourage you to seek it out, and share your thoughts after you visit.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back