News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Troeger

Cornerstone Club and Glacier Club -- Colorado
« on: July 01, 2009, 09:32:28 PM »
Has anyone played Greg Norman's Cornerstone Club in Montrose, CO? I'm heading that direction in about a month and haven't seen much posted here. It's done very well in the "Best New" awards from Golf Magazine and Golf Week.

Also interested in thoughts on The Glacier Club just north of Durango.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 09:46:17 PM by Andy Troeger »

Bill_McBride

Re: Cornerstone Club (CO)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 09:35:53 PM »

Also interested in thoughts on The Glacier Club just north of Durango.

Andy, after our week in Santa Fe last May, we drove to Durango, beautiful trip up there.  We went the eastern route instead of through Farmington.  No golf in Durango for us, but it's a really cool town with a sort of Wild West feel to it.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 09:42:22 PM »
Andy:

I too plan on playing Cornerstone later this summer ... was supposed to play there last year but bad weather (a rarity for Colorado) postponed that. I like what Greg Norman does in many instances -- his work at Red Sky Ranch is vastly underappreciated by many and likely it's tied to the fact that few on this board -- and even raters -- have played it.

I have good reports on Cornerstone though -- curious to see how it does play it through a personal visit.

In regards to The Glacier Club -- it was the former Tameron and while it posts a very scenic picture it's not really more than a wonderful postcard view -- the design requirements are quite elementary for the most part.

Have to say the ride from Durango up the western side of Colorado via highway 550 has got be one of the ten best scenic routes I have ever driven in the continenal USA.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 09:49:13 PM »
Thanks for the comments so far--I am looking forward to the drive and a little time in Durango. I've played Dalton Ranch and spent a little time in town and also have done the drive north from Grand Junction--its the most spectacular drive I've seen personally but I don't really specialize in those! There is a train from Durango to Silverton that I need to try one of these years.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 10:30:22 PM »
One of the things Norman did well at Red Sky Ranch was having greens that are less dependent upon greenside bunkering and more rolling and contoured. Cornerstone is a big strong course given its max length -- be curious to see if Norman is able to exceed the claiber of golf he created in Wolcott at RSR.

Andy Troeger

Cornerstone Club and Glacier Club (Colorado)
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 09:45:53 PM »
I figured I would give a quick recap from the weekend.

I have a feeling more will be written about Cornerstone once more GCA'ers get out there. It's a very fine golf course--while it plays to almost 8,000 yards the course is located at almost 9,000 feet of elevation so it really doesn't play all that long. I was fairly comfortable from the 7300 yard set of tees. The fairways are generally very generous but the approach shots are varied and challenging. The greens are subtle because of the vastness of the site--there is quite a bit of movement but its hard to figure in most spots.

In lieu of posting photos I'm linking to their photos on the website: http://www.cornerstonecolorado.com/golf/holexhole/index.htm

I think Cornerstone will find a place among the top courses in Colorado. It very well might be the best course in the mountain portion of the state, although I'm still a big fan of Lakota Canyon. It is far different from Red Sky Ranch--far fewer bunkers and more expansive feel, but still uses the natural lay of the land pretty well.

Regarding The Glacier Club--for those of you that have played it did you play all 27 holes or just the original 18 done by Arthur Hills? I played the Glacier and Cliffs courses and then toured the Hermosa course after the round. Without playing Hermosa I felt like I probably played the best 18 holes--the Glacier is the newest nine and my favorite of the bunch. The Cliffs has a couple odd holes to start (#1 & 3), but then has a pretty good closing stretch from #5-9. The scenery is fantastic.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back