News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

I hear great things about White Bear Yacht
« on: July 01, 2009, 11:27:10 AM »
Aside from having a cool sounding name, and being a Ross design (that's right isn't it?)  I hear that people like this course a great deal as really fun.

can we discuss this one?  get some pix?  Talk about some holes?

Thanks.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Tom_Doak

Re: I hear great things about White Bear Yacht
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 11:42:21 AM »
Jay:

It is a Ross course, although they don't have much record of Ross ever spending time there.  Whoever built it, built some of the wildest greens I have ever seen on a Ross course.

The property has a bunch of 15- to 20-foot ridges running across it, so there is the potential for lots of blind or semi-blind shots if you don't drive the ball solidly.  (The approach to the par-5 9th green and the tee shot to the 18th are completely blind, no matter how you slice it, and I suspect that holds the course back in some people's eyes.)  It was way overplanted with trees 30 years ago and we have had a bit of success getting them to cut it back, but they still block some great views across the property.

The club guest policy is pretty strict about playing with a member [they wouldn't even let their consultant go out and play by himself], and I suspect that's why you don't hear more about it ... not many outsiders get to play it.  And sadly for access seekers, there is no WBYC member on GCA.com.

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 11:47:24 AM »
Where is it?
H.P.S.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 11:58:57 AM »
Near Minneapolis/St. Paul

http://www.wbyc.com/

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 11:59:41 AM »
I have never played it.  There is an Evans Scholar 7 club fundraiser (in honor of Chick Rvans' use of 7 clubs to win the US Open at Minnekahda) there on August 3 that if three others are interested in ponying up $250 to play, I would love to play.

Here are some results from my search for threads and a link to a map that can be converted to an aerial.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,3098.msg60325/topicseen/

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,29059.msg560719/topicseen/

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,1866.msg36116/topicseen/

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,18487.msg327965/topicseen/

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=white+bear+yacht+club&near=Minneapolis,+MN&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&ei=U4ZLSvz0IIaINNjy7aIB&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&resnum=4

Jim Franklin

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 12:08:02 PM »
I know two GCAers that played it and were treated like common criminals. I understand that pro is now gone though although I am not 100% sure. That pro told me I could play one day and when I called on my way there, he decided I couldn't play. There are certain ways to treat people and that guy is/was/will always be an ahole in my book.
Mr Hurricane

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 12:08:15 PM »
White Bear Yaact Like is on a Lake outside St. Paul, MN.  Echoing Tom's sentiments, they do have some of the most iinteresting greens I have seen.  Some of them are pretty severe.  I doesn't play long but the shots into the green are intimidating and demandinmg.  There is a good mixture of long and short par fours.  There are a few blind tee shots and the bunkering did not stand out for me.  the par threes are superb and it is fun to to hit across roads.The clubhouse is on the lake and is pretty special in itself.  There is also a smaller clubhouse at the course across the street from the lake.  If I had my choice of clubs to join WBYC would be in my top te.  It is a greata place to spend a few days.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 12:09:14 PM »
I have never played it.  There is an Evans Scholar 7 club fundraiser (in honor of Chick Rvans' use of 7 clubs to win the US Open at Minnekahda) there on August 3 that if three others are interested in ponying up $250 to play, I would love to play.

I've never played the course, but a friend played it recently in a collegiate event and loved the place.  I can vouch for the Evans Scholar events (which are well run and benefit a great cause).  If you are going to be in the area at the time I would definitely think you should check it out.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 12:11:46 PM »
Jim F:

What exactly was your entree to play the course to begin with?  That you'd talked the same pro into it?  (And, on what basis?)

There have got to be at least two common criminals on GCA.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 12:18:04 PM »
Tom -

A friend of mine has a good friend that is a member there and he suggested I call the pro. I was in Minnesota on business and called the pro about playing. He said I couldn't play one day but the next was okay. So I called him on my way to see if it was still okay and he changed his mind. I thought it was a BS move as I changed my plans to play there. There are certain ways to treat people. Maybe that's me, but I wouldn't do that to someone.

And I am sure there are more than a few common criminals here, but the aforementioned two are definitely among the good guys here.
Mr Hurricane

Jay Flemma

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 12:44:31 PM »
Jay:

It is a Ross course, although they don't have much record of Ross ever spending time there.  Whoever built it, built some of the wildest greens I have ever seen on a Ross course.

The property has a bunch of 15- to 20-foot ridges running across it, so there is the potential for lots of blind or semi-blind shots if you don't drive the ball solidly.  (The approach to the par-5 9th green and the tee shot to the 18th are completely blind, no matter how you slice it...

Wow, that sounds right up my alley!

I'll check the links in a minute...

I'm sorry to hear about people having hassles getting on and even more about treatment being dodgy, but sometimes that happens and maybe if they ran into different people, the experience might have been different.

Tommy W, I also like what you said about how a course doesn't have to be long to be challenging if the approaches and greens are tough.

can we get some pics maybe?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 12:49:55 PM by Jay Flemma »
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

J_ Crisham

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 09:01:11 PM »
 Gentlemen,                                I shall post some pictures after my round next month at WBYC. I understand the 5th hole is generally regarded as one of the best holes in the Midwest. As Kyle K. ,mentioned the Evans Scholar events are fun and well run. I try to play in 3 or 4 each summer at different venues. The WBYC Evans event in August is closed to outside play as it already has a full field. Will post some pics from Minikahda, Interlachen, Wyndsong Farms, WBYC, and possibly Hazeltine.
                                                                                                                   Jack

Jordan Wall

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 09:54:17 PM »
I encourage all who can to support the Evans Scholarship.

It's nice to hear clubs like White Bear Yacht support it as well.  It is such a wonderful cause.

Cheers,
Jordan

John_Conley

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 10:14:46 PM »
Excellent golf course on a very rugged site.  It has what I'd call 'roller coaster' fairways where you might drive into a hill and lose your roll or clear the top and catch a big runner.

Sorry to hear about a bad experience there.  I'm not sure what pressures the pro was under, but it sure doesn't sound like a conspiracy to ruin your day.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 11:32:25 PM »
Never played it, but they were most hospitable on my three requests to tour it with staff, contractors, etc.  I have an aerial pic of the course in my bedroom, because I liked it so much.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

John_Conley

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 12:18:03 AM »
Never played it, but they were most hospitable on my three requests to tour it with staff, contractors, etc. 

Yes, but you're Jeff Brauer.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 10:34:24 AM »
Jeff, any chance we could see the aerial?  Is there on on-line?  We have no photos on any thread.

Jason Topp

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 10:41:34 AM »
Jeff, any chance we could see the aerial?  Is there on on-line?  We have no photos on any thread.

Jay - the last link in my reply 4 is an aerial

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 10:44:29 AM »
Here is a link to a WBYC photo gallery:

http://golfing.mn/wpg2?g2_itemId=21433

On that same site are photos of Hazeltine and other MN golf courses.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Dan Kelly

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 10:46:06 AM »
I have an aerial pic of the course in my bedroom....

In your bedroom, huh? Hmmmmmmmm...
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

scott_wood

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 11:03:06 AM »
my bedroom pic is Pac Dunes ..back to back 3's framed by fescues with the wild oceean beyond.....great diversion/inspiration...

John Mayhugh

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 11:15:20 AM »

Why not use google maps?  The club's website has a google maps link on it (click on where are we) and it opens up an aerial map. You can zoom in and out all you want.

Or go to google earth.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 11:21:06 AM »
C'mon guys...

All you have to do is ask me to post something up....I look for any and all excuses to open up Google Earth and toy around with it!!   ;D

Jay Flemma

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 06:25:35 PM »
Wow. I got to check out the pix and they are wonderful.  I love how it tumbles over the terrain up and down those folds in the land.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back