News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris_Blakely

Re: I hear great things about White Bear Yacht
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2009, 07:16:13 PM »
What kind of documentation do they have that Ross was there?  That does not look like any of the Ross courses I have played?

I know Willie Watson did work in the area around that time???   ::)

JC Urbina

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2009, 07:44:43 PM »
Kalen

That is a newer picture of WBYC.  I was at White Bear just a short time ago and they had just finished Hole # 8 and # 16 removing some bunkers  added by another designer many years ago..  Also they had removed some trees on the ninth hole along the ridge.  The views are getting better and the mowing lines are starting to make sense.   They have a few bunkers left to restore and they have had some talk about the 13th hole and if the green belongs in the punchbowl which is adjacent to the present 13th green.   All in All a very nice place to visit and play golf.  Sorry to hear the negative comments, the staff has always been welcoming even to visitors that were playing while I was there. 

Ron Whitten in his book "Golf Has Never Failed Me"  lists WBYC as an add on 1912 and 1915.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2009, 09:39:53 PM »
Hey Jim...thank you for chiming in on the thread.  Keep up the great work guys, it looks cool.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Bruce Leland

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2009, 12:12:13 AM »
WBYC would be considered by many as "too quirky" but I absolutely love the terrain, shot values and the use of the land.  The green complexes are confounding and the approach shots demanding.  It is one of my top 10 courses because one never tires of playing it and it is a great walk.  The greens rival Northland as some of the most challenging you will ever play.
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back