News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Taylor

Golden Eagle Golf Club at Tides Inn ... comments?
« on: June 28, 2009, 09:59:05 PM »
Going there this weekend. Has anyone played it?

Tim

Robert Emmons

Re: Golden Eagle Golf Club at Tides Inn ... comments?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 08:53:56 AM »
We have been there a few times. Golf was always a diversion from eating and lounging. Both courses are pleasant, nothing special. Lunch at the golden eagle clubhouse is enjoyable...also play the par three course in front of the inn...RHE

Lester George

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 11:09:15 AM »

Tim,

Good golf course, could be much better.  I have known the superintendent there many years and he does a wonderful job with limited resources. 

In my opinion, the course needs a master plan of improvements and a good architect to take it through a total renovation.  Likely not to happen soon from what I gather as they balked in the 90's while times were favorable. 

I would like to know your thoughts after you play it.  I have not played there in a few years (since Sedona took it over) so I could be wrong but I have talked to the super lately and he didn't seem confident that they would be doing anything soon.

Lester

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 02:06:42 PM »
There are many Virginia golf courses I'd play sooner but one trip to Irvington is worth the trouble.  The Golden Eagle is enjoyable, though I wouldn't describe all 18 holes as "unforgettable," which I've noticed their literature always does.

My last trip was marred by a terrible customer service experience at lunch after the round.  As the guy footing the bill for three guests from out of state, I was displeased enough not to return.  I trust that was an exception and that my letter to the GM (who never wrote back) resulted in at least some improvement.

WW

Cabell Ackerly

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 05:26:54 PM »
If you're not locked into the Golden Eagle through the resort, I'd play King Carter. It's more fun, you'll save a few bucks, and it's actually closer to the Tides Inn than the GE.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 07:28:03 PM »
I've played the Golden Eagle three or four times but not in the last ten years. It was always an enjoyable day. The only criticism I would offer is that over the years the bermuda grass had severely encroached on the greens. They needed to restore the original green mowing lines and probably just redo the greens.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 12:40:30 PM »
Second King Carter as a course to play nearby.  You may want to also consider The Tartan Club in Weems, VA (right around the corner from the Tides Inn).  Course has the only 9 holes done in America by Sir Guy Cambell.  I believe the second 9 were by George Cobb.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back