GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

What am I missing about Hazeltine that the PGA of America keeps seeing?

<< < (9/10) > >>

JR Potts:
What was wrong with it?  You played it.  Tell me.  I know the answer.

Tell me how the current version plays/looks worse?  In fact, tell me how it's different at all.

Come on "expert", dazzle me.

PThomas:

--- Quote from: Jim Franklin on July 01, 2009, 08:47:45 AM ---Patrick -

Your views are near identical to mine. I have a hard time remembering any of the holes at Hazletine and really did not like it. Of the courses I played in Minnesota, it was the one I liked the least.

Paul -

Since you found it a good course, what did you like about it?

--- End quote ---

Jim, to mention a few, i like the uphill 5th, the pitch to the well-guarded 6th, the downhill approach to the 10th, par 3 13th, where water guards the left side, 16...

there's some elevation out there, its a good strong test....

Jason Topp:

--- Quote from: Matt_Ward on July 01, 2009, 10:28:15 PM ---Guys:

Let's be clear -- Hazeltine is not a top tier layout in terms of pure design elements -- to the tune of Shinnecock Hills, Oakmont, Pebble Beach, etc, etc.

I would not place it among the second tier of gems either with such places as OH/S, WF/W or even Bethpage Black.

It's more in line with places like Congressional, Medinah and others of this type.

It does offer a solid test and will not tolerate half-ass play. The location is a good one as I previously mentioned because the local folks LOVE golf to the max. The PGA has to its considerable advantage a proven site in terms of actual logistics and being able to host a major event of this type. Rees Jones also fine tuned a few elements -- the 16th is, for me at least, one of the finest mid-length par-4's you can play in the States and it's one heavily talked about hole that lives up to the considerable hype.

Hazeltine is a solid layout in terms of providing a quality test but anyone making the leap off the high building ledge to believe that it's overall design is worthy of top 100 status is sipping some strong kool-aid. I don't have scorn for the layout because the people in the area are some of the finest and nicest you can ever meet. Hazeltine gives the PGA a proven reliable site -- it's not love for sure but it's clearly a good one given the clear needs for high level championship play.

--- End quote ---

Perfect description

JR Potts:

--- Quote from: Ryan Potts on July 01, 2009, 10:56:51 PM ---What was wrong with it?  You played it.  Tell me.  I know the answer.

Tell me how the current version plays/looks worse?  In fact, tell me how it's different at all.

Come on "expert", dazzle me.

--- End quote ---

That's what I thought.

Jay Flemma:
Excuse you, but you'll get my response when my article is done...and not before. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version