News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Tom D

Thanks for chiming in. I think you make a fair point re rough/grass types. How playable the rough is is of course seasonal but generally on links, and probably most UK parklands, the lie you get in the rough is playable although it may be variable. Taking the rough as a fairway extension you are maybe talking about 50/60 yards in total. My questioning of 80 yard wide fairways was as much about making a choice on defined line of play based on having some interest in where the shot goes rather than it being immaterial.

With that in mind do find it more difficult to design an 80 yard wide fairway which has an interest from a positional point of view ?

Adam,

See my comments above. I guess we have been comparing apples to oranges in my trying to understand the ideas of width. Perhaps KB wasn't the best example to talk about. Hopefully I'll be able some day to play some of the courses mentioned so I can get a first hand experience.

Sean

I don't normally pace out fairway widths but this thread made me do just that at Gailes yesterday. The fairways that I paced were about 30 yards wide although there were a couple where the fairway had been widened slightly and in some areas it had been pinched in. Once you take into account the first cut of rough perhaps the landing is actually 50/60 yards as per my comments above.

With regards bunkering I agree with your comments about centre line bunkering as opposed to flanking bunkering although again a bit of variety is good.

Niall

Tom Yost

Late to the party here, but I wanted to share a comment I found on another golf forum (one that is more focused on equipment rather than courses and architecture):

(describing a first time visit to the Bandon resort):

"Last year, our foursome (hcps 5-8) spent the first day working with the tighter lies and understanding how to play as much on the ground than in the air.
The second day, I think we questioned whether we really liked the elements that characterized links golf.
The third day, our Americanized perception of golf lifted and we were head over heels in love. "

I just love to read stuff like this!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back