News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Kingsley Reports
« on: June 29, 2009, 10:55:12 AM »
Perhaps a new thread is in order.  More to come on the tremendous fellowship, hospitality, golf course architecture and Bettie White.  Just to get the ball rolling, this trip and the table discussions have caused me to dramatically question some of my perceptions and concepts of golf course architecture.  I am very opinionated, and frankly unapologetically biased toward traditional golf course architecture (for example the second nine at Belvedere is sublime).  For that reason these gatherings provide valuable balance through insight and contrary, very well reasoned opinions. 

I encourage those in attendance to post their thoughts on the courses played for our collective edification.  As a participant on this site you are obligated to do so.

Kindest regards,

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jason Topp

Re: Kingsley Reports
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 11:45:06 AM »
I had a terrific time and really enjoyed the course.  I really appreciated meeting the people I did and would have loved more opportunity to get to know others better.  Thanks again to everyone involved.

I wound up playing 4 rounds at Kingsley over the two days as well a few bonus shots.  (12 white tee to 13 green was a nasty 147 yard par three where the pin was located on Sunday).

My random thoughts:

Playability:

The course became much more playable with each round.  Once I could make sense of the choices facing me, I could make much better decisions, particularly for approach shots and ideal spots for approaching the green.

For example, blind approaches do not bother me much.  Thus, on 4, once I figured out that short of the bunker on the right side allowed for a pretty simple, but blind approach, the hole went from pretty difficult to very accomodating.

Orientation of holes with wind:

I’m not sure if we played in a prevailing wind or not but we had decent winds at times on Sunday.  I found it interesting that the only hole that was brutally into the wind was number 5.  In every other instance I felt like I was playing in a quartering or cross wind which is a lot more interesting than simply trying to bash the ball into the wind on a long hole.

Rhythm:

Like a  pitcher that changes speeds, I thought Kingsley was a great example of a course constantly varying the challenge from hole to hole.

Short holes with big greens,  13, 14
Long hole with tiny green 15

Precise approaches – 8, 9, 11
Accomodating approaches – 4, 10

Concave green– 4, 5, 18
Convex 2, 8, 9, 15

Open
Woods

Interesting choices

Many times where it makes sense to pitch to a safe part of the green – 8, 11,
In most cases – an aggressive 2nd on a par five needed to be very precise.  I became more and more conservative with each round.

Par 3’s

3 severe short pitch holes, a great redan and a relatively begnign punchbowl

In my experience – most modern courses build too many long par 3’s but 3 precise pitches might be one too many. 

Maintenance:

How is it possible to maintain all of those punchbowls?  I would thing that water would melt and freeze in the winter and kill a ton of grass.  I saw no signs of problems.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 03:07:56 PM »
I enjoyed the golf and the group very much.  Both courses were in top notch shape too.  Hats off to Dan (Kingsley) and Craig (Greywalls) for their outstanding work for the condition of the courses.

Here's some "artistic" pictures of Kingsley:

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 03:35:11 PM »
Mike (Bogey),

A good idea to dedicate a new thread to post-gathering reactions.

I have NWA to thank for literally denying me the opportunity to get to Marquette to play Greywalls. Needless to say a big disappointment, especially in light of the rave reviews from the people who played there.

That said, the Kingsley experience (except for my putting stroke) was sublime. Kudos to Club GM, Brian Conklin and his staff for making everyone feel so welcome. The laid back, golf-as-it-should-be culture is important to the Kingsley Club, it’s implicit to their mission statement, and it comes through.

I played Kingsley four years ago and got a good solid taste of the golf course, but the two days I had to play on this trip gave me the opportunity to really plumb its depths. And by the way, I think I’ve only just scratched the surface! Like Mike Hendren, this trip to Kingsley has caused me to re-examine many of my assumptions as to what makes a golf course good or even great. Throughout your round, Mike gives you options galore, but to me, what sets Kingsley apart are the so-called controversial holes the “deflectors” - the poster child being the 9th hole, which golfers tend to love or hate. I am in the love camp and feel it is unfairly characterized as a “two or twenty” proposition. Believe me, it can be, I launched one over the pin yesterday from the west tee approach with the pin on the small right peninsula.  Big trouble and I made a mess of it! But the golfer who engages his brain can think his way out of the big number. It just means hitting away from the pin. I am not yet programmed to do that. Sometimes if you fail to hit a shot that requires true precision, a bogey (or worse) is not an unjust fate.

Many of us assume that anything close to a well struck shot should result in a par. At times, Mike clearly challenges that entitlement.  On some holes, if you’re super-adept with the flat stick, you can make par following a mediocre approach. But on some holes the line you choose may demand a high degree of precision.  So on Kingsley’s par-3, ninth: after flying the green, if I had chipped away from the pin and then two-putt for bogey, I would have left that green with utter satisfaction. But from the tee, the pin beckoned. I took the challenging line with a 9-iron and blew it over. I had to deal with it, and an easy way back there was not!  But speaking of personal responsibility, it was my choice. There were countless other ways and lines from the tee.

One of the more insightful guys with whom I played (was it Mike Whitaker?), describes those who dislike a hole that deflects a shot or otherwise drives them crazy in some “unfair” way the “pencil and scorecard” set. They could care less about golf course architecture or attempting to make any decisions regarding strategy. They just want to make a good number, as in look at the flag, take aim and fire. No thinking, please. It's soley a focus on what their score is.

So with Kingsley in mind, it is now my contention that it is absolutely appropriate to have a hole that I like to call a “little bastard,”  and they come in the par-3 and par-4 variety. They beckon, they lure, they tempt, and they can often leave you broken hearted. But they force you to think and to look within yourself: can I pull this shot off? What are the potential consequences? Can I calm down in order to execute! Are there other routes? Holes like this get you juiced; you’re totally engaged! Boring golf is the result of indifference. “Aim for center of the green; two-putt, or maybe one-putt and then on to the next.”  Give me the occasional hole that for health reasons my cardiologist would discourage me from making a steady diet. But I’d rather take the meds and play the exciting holes in the same way I pop a daily Lipitor to enjoy the occasional juicy burger! No sprouts, thank you.

I think Mike’s propensity to include the occasional little bastard is itself a throwback to the game when match play was more the norm than counting total strokes. But there is no law I know of that states the scoring average of a short hole must be lower than a longer one.

It was a great time, very memorable, and what fun connecting the faces to the posters. Meeting Dave Schmidt, the inimitable "Shivas." Wow!  ;D

JC Jones

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 07:33:22 PM »
Cenci -

How come you didn't include a picture of my swing in your "artistic" collection?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jon Heise

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 09:04:27 PM »
A few snaps.  The colors and textures showed up this weekend.  Tried to get a couple odd angles, and maybe some odd golfers.  ;D

walking past 6 tee

2 tee

4's green

back to 4

behind 5 green

7th green from 8 tee, I didnt make a 10 there.  Or did I?

8 fairway

you know what this is... +7 for the weekend.

15 green.  +1 for the weekend.  Suck it #9!

I love Kingsley.  But I realized something there.  I'm going to have to really change the way I think about approaching a course.  Different shots, different landing areas to hit.  I wish I'd have realized how useful a 9 iron chip is Saturday morning and not Sunday afternoon...  I know Im not going to shoot my personal best there.  Just not going to happen.  Saturday I had a birdie, par, bogey, double, triple, and whatever-you-call-five-over-par-on-one-hole-bogey.  On the front 9.  (made a 7 footer to keep the quad off the card though...)  That's not what you go up there for though.  Just an entirely different challenge compared to most places I play.  Big, forgiving fairways one shot, then you need to land it on a penny the next.  Its a course you'd want to just grab a dozen balls and fling them around a green for a half hour, just to try stuff.  I'd love to give it a go in a match play round next time out.

Overall, great time.  Thanks again to Mike and all the other hosts and staff at Kingsley.  Hope to see you all soon.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:10:13 PM by Jon Heise »
I still like Greywalls better.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 09:08:15 PM »
Glad I could make it to hang out and mooch some food. It was a good time.
This was my first GCA outing and hopefully the next one I can be a bit more involved.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

ed_getka

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 09:33:04 PM »
Great thread, keep 'em coming guys.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mike Boehm

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 09:44:43 PM »
This was the first GCA gathering that I have attended.  Many thanks to Mike and John for organizing this trip and providing us access to this outstanding golf course.  My wife thought I was crazy when I told her I was heading up north to play golf with 30 people I’d never met.  I’m glad I was able to ultimately get the approval.  I had high expectations for the course from this website, but after playing three rounds, it exceeded all of them. 

Kingsley is on the short list of courses I’ve enjoyed the most in my life.  I feel fortunate to have toured the course my first time out with Dan Lucas.  He was kind enough to point out some places to miss, not to miss and that a lot of times at Kingsley, the best route from Point A to Point B is nothing that resembles a straight line.  The options that you have on and around the greens, as well as the approaches into the greens, and the creativity that it allows for make the game so much more enjoyable at Kingsley than most courses I have the opportunity to play.  I had never seen a scarier 145 yards than #2 – until I got to #9.  Those two holes that look so simple on the card are unlike anything I have ever seen before.  I enjoyed the general width off the fairway and appreciate a course that will make you pay for an errant tee ball (I sure hit enough of them this weekend), but gives you a swing and a stance to try to recover from it.  I’m pretty confident that a handicap built at Kingsley would travel pretty well around the country.

It was great to finally put some faces with names and I met a lot of great people this weekend.  I even had the chance to hit some 1880s hickories for the 1st time in my life.  It was amazing how changing the club and the ball took about half the distance off of a driver.  I will admit though, those old wood putter definitely roll the ball as true as anything modern, and they feel great.  I hope this is the first of many GCA outings I have the opportunity to join.  Thanks again Mike, John and the staff at Kingsley for a memorable experience.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 10:25:35 PM »
  My wife thought I was crazy when I told her I was heading up north to play golf with 30 people I’d never met. 

I find it easier to just tell my wife I'm headed to Argentina to cry with my mistress. 

Bogey

JC Jones

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 10:51:56 PM »
  My wife thought I was crazy when I told her I was heading up north to play golf with 30 people I’d never met. 

I find it easier to just tell my wife I'm headed to Argentina to cry with my mistress. 

Bogey

LOL.  Nothing, absolutely nothing, is funnier than your "K-mart-by-the-sea" comment Sunday morning.  You southern bumpkins crack me up.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 11:14:57 PM »
Jason,

I think you have the option of making them pitch holes but they also to me certainly have the option of playing longer than a pitch shot if the player so chooses. Part of the joy of kingsley is how you can play it differently each day. It can be a brute from the back tee's and a fun day from the upper tee's or just by mixing it up. If you consider a 7 or 8 iron a pitch than I stand corrected but for most mere mortals a pitch is a 9 or less.

I consider myself fairly long with my irons when i'm playing well. If on these holes you hit no more than a 9 iron from the back than your game is way better than mine ;) 

For ex on mon I played 9 from the tee on the hill with the wood steps leading to the tee box. It was a 8 iron to a pin middle right put it 4 feet . On tue it was a 7 into the wind. From the opp side on mon it was a wedge, tue it was a 9. So wind will obviously change the character of the hole to as will tee location. So 3 pitch holes , yes and no ;)

Brad

ps dont ask what I made tue lol

Jim Colton

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 12:05:00 AM »
Anybody have a pic of #17?  It was still under construction when I was there last year.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 12:47:33 AM »
I had a great time at Kinglsey & Greywalls this past weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality of both clubs, the company on the golf course, the discussions on golf architecture and meeting members of the gca fraternity. 5 rounds in 3 days has me spent, I need some sleep, but plan to post my thoughts on both courses tomorrow.

Thanks again to Mike DeVries for organizing the event, it was a pleasure to meet you. Next time the "flow" will be in my direction!!

TK

JC Jones

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 07:33:22 AM »
I had a great time at Kinglsey & Greywalls this past weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality of both clubs, the company on the golf course, the discussions on golf architecture and meeting members of the gca fraternity. 5 rounds in 3 days has me spent, I need some sleep, but plan to post my thoughts on both courses tomorrow.

Thanks again to Mike DeVries for organizing the event, it was a pleasure to meet you. Next time the "flow" will be in my direction!!

TK

Tyler,

It was your partner's fault that the flow was not in your direction.  Although it could be argued that he deserved to get more strokes.  Just sayin....

John Mayhugh

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 09:27:53 AM »
Anybody have a pic of #17?  It was still under construction when I was there last year.

Just one.  Until my Sunday emergency 9 I had forgotten to take any pics of the new fairway area after grow-in.  I didn't try it out, but some of the guys I played with took that route.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:43:12 AM by John Mayhugh »

George Freeman

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 09:31:47 AM »

TK

Tyler,

It was your partner's fault that the flow was not in your direction.  Although it could be argued that he deserved to get more strokes.  Just sayin....

Here we go again..."Double Barky Sparky" aka "DBS" bitching about strokes AGAIN...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

John Kirk

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 09:52:49 AM »
By the time everybody arrived, I was already half-tired.  At least it manifested itself as "John, the funny cut-up", rather than "John, the grouchy bastard".  Consider yourself lucky.  After six rounds in five days, I'm currently half-awake, with some severe aches and pains.  I don't think I'll address those old age pains with prescription painkillers.  Still maintaining funny versus unhappy.  For example:

At the discussion with Mike DeVries, the great architect basically admitted the formulaic approach he takes with each golf course:

"Each golf course shall have three greens with rounded mounds."

I'm headed home tomorrow...ah, rounded mounds...

The golf course was in excellent condition for the GCA guests.  There was a heat wave the week before, and playing conditions were quite firm.  As usual, greens were smooth and medium fast.

I had only met three or four of our guests previously.  Overall, a rather fit young group of enthusiasts, with quite a few good players among them.  No assholes were detected.

Sorry I didn't stick around Sunday evening; too tired.  It would have been nice to recap everything with John Mayhugh, Mike Hendren and the other folks.

I had a nice day Monday playing with Chris Blakely, who could only make it the day after.  The weather has turned cool and showery.  Only about 55 outside as I write.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 10:18:13 AM »
Perhaps a new thread is in order.  More to come on the tremendous fellowship, hospitality, golf course architecture and Bettie White.  Just to get the ball rolling, this trip and the table discussions have caused me to dramatically question some of my perceptions and concepts of golf course architecture.  I am very opinionated, and frankly unapologetically biased toward traditional golf course architecture (for example the second nine at Belvedere is sublime).  For that reason these gatherings provide valuable balance through insight and contrary, very well reasoned opinions. 

I encourage those in attendance to post their thoughts on the courses played for our collective edification.  As a participant on this site you are obligated to do so.

Kindest regards,

Bogey

Mike,
   Unfortunately my only participation in the past Kingsley event weekend was enjoying a round at Lawsonia with Mr. Mayhugh so I may be threadjacking a bit, but there seems to be a theme in your recent posts denouncing the "frilly-edged" bunker trend that I'm curious about. 

1.  Do you consider the bunkers at Kingsley "frilly-edged", or just rugged?
2.  Do you think the course would look and play better with more manicured bunkers?
3.  Do you think that bunker maintenance (including the area adjacent to the bunkers outside the bunkers) would cost more or less if they were Augusta style manicured bunkers?

I haven't played Kingsley, but the bunkering at Greywalls and Kingsley look very similar.  To my untrained eye, the bunker style is rugged and unkempt around the edges, making them more of a hazard IMHO while reducing the maintenance cost to keep the nearby turf.

Cheers,
Brad

John Mayhugh

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 10:36:18 AM »
A quick thanks to John Kirk, Mike DeVries, Dan Lucas, and all of the staff at Kingsley for making a great weekend possible.  Course playing conditions were fantastic.  Bill Steele and I were fortunate enough to play the first round with John & Mike and even got to start on hole #9! 

What I loved about this trip to Kinglsey and the course itself:
The fescue plays great
Good scores can be had, but if you get aggressive and fail to execute or just make dumb decisions, you'll pay
Lots of opportunities to use the shape of the land to get more distance or a better position
Par 3 tee shots that are as interesting and challenging as anywhere I've played
Making a birdie on 9 and not royally screwing it up during any of my other rounds
The blind or semi-blind shots on 1, 4, 17
Watching people (including me) make a mess of the short par 4 13th
Standing on two green and seeing the intersection of all those holes. Awesome feature at a private club.
Getting to play with a lot of GCA guys that I hadn't met and the reunion with those I knew
An incredibly funny Mr. T imitiation by a well-respected golf architect
A short hickory education from Ralph Livingston (next time I want to hits some shots!)
The working relationship between Mike & Dan that helped make such a great experience possible

Jason Topp

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 11:01:53 AM »
[

Mike,
   Unfortunately my only participation in the past Kingsley event weekend was enjoying a round at Lawsonia with Mr. Mayhugh so I may be threadjacking a bit, but there seems to be a theme in your recent posts denouncing the "frilly-edged" bunker trend that I'm curious about.  

1.  Do you consider the bunkers at Kingsley "frilly-edged", or just rugged?Rugged
2.  Do you think the course would look and play better with more manicured bunkers?Absolutely not.  I am not a fan of forced frilly edged bunkers but these are perfect for this setting
3.  Do you think that bunker maintenance (including the area adjacent to the bunkers outside the bunkers) would cost more or less if they were Augusta style manicured bunkers? Others are more qualified to comment than me but it at least seemed like little maintence was needed for those bunkers and the surrounds.  If maintenence is needed the staff does a great job because I could not tell it was taking place.

I haven't played Kingsley, but the bunkering at Greywalls and Kingsley look very similar.  To my untrained eye, the bunker style is rugged and unkempt around the edges, making them more of a hazard IMHO while reducing the maintenance cost to keep the nearby turf.

Cheers,
Brad

Mike Hendren

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 11:50:53 AM »
Brad, I think Jason nailed my response to your questions about the bunkers, they were rugged and exceptional from an aesthetic standpoint.  However, I saw several horrible lies - including the worse I've seen in my 40 years of playing the game, when balls got caught up in the wild growth of the faces.  I realize that's rub of the green but the ball would have clearly been better off in the bunker.  More often than not it took two shots to extricate the ball from the rugged bunker lips.  That said, I can't honestly advocate changing the bunkers one bit.

There's no doubt that the cost of bunker maintenance at Kingsley is pennies compared to Benjamins at Augusta.

I still abhor the importation of frilly edged bunkering.  I think Mike Devries got it right at Kingsley.

BTW, I am either going to order a Cheesebrough wooden rake or make my own to hang in my office.  They are just so cool and surprisingly functional.

Mike

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 12:51:28 PM »
I still abhor the importation of frilly edged bunkering.  I think Mike Devries got it right at Kingsley.

BTW, I am either going to order a Cheesebrough wooden rake or make my own to hang in my office.  They are just so cool and surprisingly functional.

Cheeseborough rakes are very cool.  http://www.cheesebrough.com/Rakes.html

While you guys were literally chilling out in Michigan, I spent the weekend playing four rounds in the
 steambath that is the Mississippi Gulf Coast, 94o, maybe 70% humidity.  It was truly horrible,
 wish I had been at Kingsley instead!  I love that place........... :-\

Ken Fry

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 03:16:50 PM »
It was a whirlwind weekend but what a fantastic trip!!

The Mines in Grand Rapids is just fun!  Great movement to the property and, as you would expect, greens with endless possibilities for short game magic or disaster.  There are nice touches of visual deception all around the course that most average golfers won't really get.  Too bad for them.  The green on the 3rd hole is set on a hill top that from the fairway looks long and shallow.  Once at the green you find the left side of the green runs away from you with a severe slope catching any short shots, again challenging your short game.  The greens had great variety with a ton of movement.  The only complaint I can imagine hearing from average golfers is that there aren't any flat putts on the course!  Joe Hancock was a great tour guide and co pilot for the drive.  The humor you read on gca is nothing compared to the live version.  A finer gentleman you will not find.

Kingsley was once again a visit to meca.  Think detox for the modern golfer.  By the time I was done Sunday I was less concerned with final score than thinking back on how many creative shots were attempted.  Fun all around.

I'm still torn on the new 17th.  The old hole was extremely tight for driving and unique compared to the other holes.  It feels now toward the other extreme.  The left fairway is well off line from the tees and a second shot daring the green or laying up seems much more challenging from that angle due to the front left bunker and left to right canter of the fairway.  The overall tree removal around the back nine is a dramatic improvement compared to my first visits to Kingsley back in 2000.  All have made the course better but I'm still working on my view of 17.  It's amazing how good the turf looks compared to my last visit 9 months ago!

There's never enough time to drop balls and hit putts or chips on all the greens.  You can always find contours to carry balls to pockets within the greens or backstops to play off.  Endless fun.

After all these years, it's great to place names and faces.  How comical that with 40 people hovering around a putting green, few knew each other by face but certainly by name (and others reputation, yes you Shivas).  I had a wonderful time playing Kingsley with George Freeman, Mike Kennedy (has a great game!!), Dave Schmidt (can play that 175 yard cut putter better than anyone I've seen!) and Peter Zarlengo, future gca fame.  These guys made playing even more fun.

Thanks John Kirk and we'll continue the Crystal Downs conversation at a later gathering!

To Mike DeVries, Brian Conklin, David Plassman, Dan Lucas, Justin Mack and their staffs:  thank you for such a wonderful weekend.  We were all treated like kings, which for many of us is a big stretch!

Ken

George Freeman

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 03:24:04 PM »
HUGE thanks to Mike DeVries, John Kirk, Dan Lucas, Brian Conklin, Justin Mack and the Kingsley staff for making it happen; they couldn't have put together a better weekend.  It was awesome finally meeting some of the GCA guys and putting faces to names.  I'm not sure you could find a better, more genuine group of people.

The two days at the Kingsley Club were excellent, including the very educational and open discussion Mike led Saturday night on the porch.  I also had a blast with the small Marquette contingency and I know we all really enjoyed Greywalls, especially John Mayhugh, who found his new favorite par 3 in #17 (he was in no way influenced by the hole-in-one he made in the first round there).

My love for the Kingsley Club is well documented on Tim Bert's thread and elsewhere, but it just amazes me that EVERY time I play it, I 1) learn something new about some aspect of the course and 2) like the course more walking off the 18th green than I did walking to the 1st tee.  It seems impossible that anyone could ever get bored playing Kingsley; the variety, options, bounces (good and bad), strategy, wind, pin positions, different teeing angles, etc all make for a course that has infinite personalities.  If the Kingsley Club isn't the epitome of fun interesting golf (not a ranking, just a grouping with many others like it), I can't wait to see what is.

I would love to hear what some of the first timers thought of the course!

Cheers,

George
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 03:30:30 PM by George Freeman »
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back