News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Josh Stevens

Hankley Common
« on: June 26, 2009, 03:10:13 PM »
Anyone played it?  Have a 36 hole match on wed and it forecast to be hot and dry.  I hear it is fun

Scott Warren

Re: Hankley Common
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 04:04:24 PM »
Do a search here, there is a great pic thread from 2007 (I think), with the heather in full bloom. Enjoy. If you have such a great time you must go back, my society is heading there in late August and is on the lookout for a couple more guys to fill the field.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
It is indeed fun... It is one of my favourite Heathland courses and seems to be less talked about than some, perhaps because of its distance from London and the prime stockbroker belt land around Wentworth and Sunningdale.

The singular best thing about Hankley is the tree clearance they've undertaken to open up the heather on the common (which extends to 800 acres)... It is the course with the most heather I think... The par-3's are really good (no.2 a little less than the others), there are approach shots that definitely call for the ball to pitch before the green as well... and the holes out on the open heath just give you a great sense of freedom and how it's supposed to be.... Very enjoyable...

Josh Stevens

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 02:27:01 AM »
Well, all done, and i must say i was of two minds.  Nice and quiet, and I do like the way it is so open with few trees so it plays as a true heathland course, but it was just so far short of what it could be.

Nice layout but it did seem that everything went right to left, I think given that they have 800 acres to play with it could have been balanced a bit.  Flattish course, some nice undulation, but not enough for me.  However main problem was bunkers and greens - bunkers ok but not especailly well positioned or styled, and the greens, while nice to putt on, were very simple and dull - certainly a million miles from sunningdale.

So it is nice, but given the vast amount of space they have, this could and should be great, and it just isnt.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back