News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Druzisky

Mill Road Farm -lost Flynn - Lake Forest Article
« on: June 27, 2009, 12:03:10 PM »
Link to an article about the lost Flynn course Mill Road Farm and a recent "anthropology expedition" that went looking for it among the houses and yards that now cover it.
www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-vanished-golf-course-nzone-2jun26,0,897172.story
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 12:09:26 PM by David Druzisky »

Niall C

Re: Mill Road Farm -lost Flynn - Lake Forest Article
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 12:49:31 PM »
David

Interesting article. I recently dug out some old newspaper articles/plans on Dunfermline GC from the 1890's. The course which was originally laid out as 18 holes was subsequently re-routed by Old Tom a few years after construction. The course remained like that until the early 1920's when Dr MacKenzie did some alterations while designing nearby Pitreavie GC. A number of years after that the course was eventually abandoned by the club as part of it lost to an adjacent quarry which was expanding.

I paid a visit to the site to see if I could identify any features of the remaining holes but unfortunately with the site being overgrown I couldn't really make out any features, not that I was being particularly scientific about it with reference to the plans.

Rich Goodale who lives locally reckons he can still make out some of the green sites when he goes by on the train so maybe it might be worth another visit to see if I can uncover a Morris/MacKenzie green.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back