News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chuck Brown

Re: How many here will abandon their square grooves?
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2009, 10:08:37 PM »
I guess I will have to replace my old Ping Eye-2 irons after twenty years of service.

I wasn't really worried about rules conformity -- I can shoot 85 to 90 with just about any clubs, and I don't always take my own clubs when I travel these days anyway.  However, in the past nine months I've lost both my 5-iron and 8-iron when the shaft snapped just above the hosel at impact.  I guess they can only take so much abuse from baggage handlers and poor winter care!

Tom, there are easy repair options if you didn't actually lose the heads.  If the heads flew off in front of a water hazard (?) or some other unlikely location, there are single-club replacement sites on the internet.  It's not cheap, but worth it to preserve a good old set loaded with good memories and good feelings.  Ping has some remarkable Customer Service resources, too, for a big shot like you. ;D

Let me know if you want some repair/replacement options here in Michigan.  I just saw a guy grinning ear-to-ear as he walked out of the Golfsmith store in Norhtville after having snagged a used set of BeCu Ping Eye 2's.  He couldn't pay fast enough.  His hand was shaking with his credit card in it.  He practially ran to the car with the clubs under his arm.

I'd serously consider hand-delivering a new set to you in Traverse City in trade for a round with you at CD. ;)

James Boon

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2009, 05:25:53 AM »
I don't even know what shape my grooves are. 

Ciao

Sean,

I'm losing count of the amount of times I'm thinking of posting something, then as I scroll down I find you've already said what I was going to say!

Cheers, James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Carl Johnson

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2009, 10:29:43 AM »
Went out to Edwin Watts, just down the street, two days ago and bought a 64 degree Cleveland with square Zip groves and RTG finish.  Cool.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2009, 10:48:28 AM »
Sometime in the last year or so, there was a discussion about a custom-wedge company owned by (or affiliated with) a participant in the DG, but I can't seem to find the name using the search function.  Anyone know what I'm talking about and/or the name of the company?
Thx
Carl

Tom Dunne

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2009, 11:01:59 AM »
Carl,

You're probably thinking of Ari Techner's company: http://scratchgolf.com/

Carl Nichols

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2009, 11:40:18 AM »
Tom:
That's the one.  Thanks very much.

Norbert P

« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2009, 01:09:14 PM »
"The USGA says a shot from the rough with a V-groove 8-iron and the old wound balata ball would roll more than 30 feet farther after landing than a U-groove 8-iron and the modern urethane-covered ball. Other USGA research says a V-groove spins a urethane-covered ball 35 percent less than a U-groove."

Sounds like John Kirk's Time Theory is gathering a USGA following.

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tom Walsh

« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2009, 06:20:44 PM »
I gave my Ping Zing 2's to my 9th grade nephew who was going out for the golf team this spring and went back to my old Wilson fg-17's (my mizuno grads were stolen). my pitching wedge and sand wedge are staff x-31's from the early 70's. Obviously if you hit the staffs on the button, nothing feels finer. My off center hits certainly clank.

I still want new blades though.  ;)
"vado pro vexillum!"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2009, 04:45:39 PM »
Mark - just wanted you to know that I for one knew EXACTLY what you meant there.  LOFT is killing me also.

;D

I was talking a lesson from Lee Trevino's son Rick when he told me the source of my golf problems was LOFT. 

"Loft, what do you mean Loft?" says I.

"Lack of F**ing talent," says he, winding up our last lesson together.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2009, 04:49:44 PM »
Went out to Edwin Watts, just down the street, two days ago and bought a 64 degree Cleveland with square Zip groves and RTG finish.  Cool.

I bought three of those CG12 Cleveland wedges, the 52o, 56o and 60o,, all 12 degrees of bounce.  They are the best I've ever played with from any kind of lie.  You can do just about anything you can think of.  Saturday morning I holed a 65 yard blind uphill pitch on the 18th at Grand Bear in Biloxi, but that might have been just lucky.  ;)

Mark Smolens

« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2009, 05:37:36 PM »
So pros use that line on you too, Bill?  I'm frankly tired of hearing it.  Maybe I should just work on my twelve ounce curls at the 19th hole?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2009, 05:47:51 PM »
So pros use that line on you too, Bill?  I'm frankly tired of hearing it.  Maybe I should just work on my twelve ounce curls at the 19th hole?

You mean the LOFT line?  Just young Trevino so nobody would pay any attention to that!

Lou_Duran

« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2009, 12:53:13 PM »
I think David Schmidt is directionally correct- today's forged blade-like irons- are better, though I am not sure that this is the case with the Hogan Apex iron.  I've played numerous of these since the mid-70s- Apex, Apex II, Apex PC- and currently own two sets of 2002 Apex.  The IIs were the worst.  The Apex PC had a reputation of being hard to hit, but I didn't have a problem with them.  My 2002s are as good an iron as I've ever played, and I've tried all types from Pings to Mizunos.  I also own a set of TaylorMade TPs which I've had reshafted three times, most recently with Apex 4 shafts, and it is now my guest set.

It is doubtful that the pros will change their games appreciably, and I don't think the USGA is going to roll the ball back (though it might seek to control further distance enhancements).  There are too many people who love to hit it long and those who watch the game get a bigger kick from a 350 yard bomb than a deft wedge shot from the rough which rolls out 30'.  I could be wrong, but the tours' futures are predicated on people and businesses following the game, and this will likely not happen if the players are hitting hybrids and mid-irons to keep the ball in the short grass.  Add wildly contoured greens that seem so popular on this site (as the recent Bethpage threads indicated)  and we run-off the many to please the sophisticated, purist few.  Golf has many economic and environmental challenges in its foreseeable future; solving the arms race, though still relevant, might want to take a backseat.    

Jim Franklin

« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2009, 01:58:20 PM »
My new Yururi Seida 56* square grooved sand wedge just came in today. I can't wait to get it out to the course this weekend. If it spins the ball like promised, I may be ordering a few more from Japan next week.
Mr Hurricane

Chuck Brown

« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2009, 02:04:11 PM »
Mark - just wanted you to know that I for one knew EXACTLY what you meant there.  LOFT is killing me also.

;D

I was talking a lesson from Lee Trevino's son Rick when he told me the source of my golf problems was LOFT. 

"Loft, what do you mean Loft?" says I.

"Lack of F**ing talent," says he, winding up our last lesson together.

I know Lee Trevino can use that line.  Not so sure if Rick Trevino can...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back