News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Dawson

Scotland in 2010
« on: June 23, 2009, 03:33:51 PM »
Good Afternoon All,
We have a group from WI wanting to return to Scotland in 2010. We played all of the "name" courses when we went in 2007. We used a firm to arrainge our lodging and motorcoach and most of our golf.
What would you suggest for our 2010 trip.
Thanks,
JD

David_Tepper

Re: Scotland in 2010
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 04:09:15 PM »
Jim -

How far north did you get? If you did not get to Dornoch and/or the Aberdeen area, I would recommend

1) starting in Aberdeen (playing Royal Aberdeen, Murcar, Cruden Bay, Peterhead)
2) travel west along the Moray Firth coastline (playing Duff House Royal, Cullen, Moray Old, Nairn and the new Castle Stuart)
3) travel north from Inverness (playing Fortrose, Tain, Royal Dornoch, Goslpie, Brora)

Any or all of those courses would fill up at 10-day/2-week trip quite nicely. Some of those courses are clearly better than others. All are fun to play.    

P.S. I know a golf tour organizer based in Aberdeen. I am sure he could do a nice job for you if you wanted to travel thru this area. If you are interested in contacting him, please send me an IM.

DT

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 06:07:44 PM by David_Tepper »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 05:32:22 PM »

Jim

Have you any idea of month, plus any region you want to stay.

You have the Fife/Edinburgh/Dundee Region;
or say The Ayr/Troon/Clyde West, the North around Dornoch;
or again say North East Nairn to Cruden Bay/Aberdeen;
then again Central Highlands covering say Lock Ness south through to Fort William back East to Newtonmore/Avemore
perhaps even Central region Pitlochry/Crieff/Perth back to Glasgow/Edinburgh
or South below Glasgow/Edinburgh Hawick/Moffat

Also is it a golfing group with all playing or mixed with non golfers looking for something else. Finally rough numbers.

With that might be able to suggest a few place that you may enjoy, not forgetting that St Andrews holds The Open next year.

Melvyn

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 05:48:50 PM »
We played all of the "name" courses when we went in 2007.
JD

Might be easier if you say where you did play?  If it was 14 days max I'd be surprised if you played all the 'name' courses.  I'd also be surprised if there wern't one or two that the group clearly preferred and mixing them with some new courses woul dmake for a more interesing tour IMO. Enjoy.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 05:55:44 PM »

Jim,

It realy depends on the courses you played on your last trip. Please tell us where you have played. There are alot of lesser known courses that are wonderful, but I think you have to get the big boys in first.

Anthony

Chris Wirthwein

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 07:21:07 PM »
After 5 trips I say stay in B&B's all the way ...and book them yourself. Nothing beats the local flavor (and food) when you stay as a guest in a Scottish home. Here are a few websites to get you started.

http://www.visitscotland.com/guide/where-to-stay/

http://www.scotland-info.co.uk/

http://www.welcometoscotland.com/accommodation

By the way, the Scottish Tourist Board rating system is very helpful and accurate and reliable. I've always stayed at 3 or 4 star B&B's -- four is a little bnicer (and pricier) than three stars. But 3 has always been clean and comfortable.

The golf -- pick your spots. For 7-8 days you should plan on three "areas" at the most (Highlands/Inverness, Aberdeen, St. Andrews, Edinburh/East Lothian, Ayr (Prestwick/Troon/Turnberry) or Machrihanish (I've never been) -- otherwise you'll spend too much time driving.

Last time I went, I booked no tee times...just hit the road with my son and had at my side a few golf guide books. If we felt like it, we stopped in and played -- places like Tarland (a forgotten 9-hole in the Highlands, little changed since laid out by Old Tom), Stonehaven (it's on the side of a hill! Too cool!) and Fortrose and Rosemarkie (up past Inverness in the Highlands -- a different kind of feel for a seaside course -- not the usual hard turf).

The best day I could imagine would be Royal Aberdeen followed by next-door Murcar (or vice versa). Both are gems -- can't decide which I like better. Stop in at the Old Course and see if you can hook on without a tee time. Just walk up to the starter's shack early in the morning and see what happens. I've played with some interesting folks that way and have always gotten to play...

And take in a castle or two and see the scenery (a trip around Loch Ness is absolutely breathtaking)! The first few times I went, I was hell bent on playing 36 a day. Now I take it much easier and have enjoyed myself even more. I've found that the combination of the B&B hosts, the food (and beer!) and the local sites and scenery all addeed to the fabulous golf make for a much more unforgettable trip.

My two cents worth...

Enjoy!!

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 08:03:52 PM »
If you've already done Scotland, why not head south and sample England? In two weeks you'd put a pretty big dent in Kent, Sussex, London, the Atlantic coast and probably Wales as well.

Jim Dawson

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 08:10:34 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,
Our last trip to Scotland was at the end of June andconsisted of playing, Western Gailes, Prestwick, Troon, Turnberry, Kingsbarn, North Berwick, St Andrews, Old & New, Carnouste, Muirifield. We stayed in 3 different B&B's. Probably would like to stay in only two B & B's.
Thanks,
JD

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 08:15:59 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,
Our last trip to Scotland was at the end of June andconsisted of playing, Western Gailes, Prestwick, Troon, Turnberry, Kingsbarn, North Berwick, St Andrews, Old & New, Carnouste, Muirifield. We stayed in 3 different B&B's. Probably would like to stay in only two B & B's.
Thanks,
JD

This time last year 8 of us spent 5 nights in Dornoch and 5 in St Andrews.  We stayed in a combination of apartments and one B&B.  It was a great trip - we played Dornoch 3x, the Struie, Golspie, Brora, Nairn 2x, New, Jubilee, Old, Lundin 2x, Elie 2x  ;D ;D.  I hate to pack and move a lot, so that was a terrific schedule.  Staying in town in St Andrews is a special experience, as is Dornoch on a smaller scale.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 08:23:29 AM »
Jim

Assuming you want something new and to maintain the level of quality of your previous trip, you will need 3 B&B's.

--one near Aberdeen (Royal Aberdeen, Murcar and Cruden Bay)
--one near Nairn (Lossiemouth, Nairn and Castle Stuart)
--one near Dornoch (Dornoch and Brora)

To fill out the schedule (if you are looking for 3 weeks) I'd have replays at any of those courses, and if you really want to be bold (and prepare for the next trip after this one), stop to smell the flowers at one of those places (I'd recommend Dornoch) for an extended stay (say 4-5 days) and/or play some of the more minor but still very interesting courses along the way.

Regardless, enjoy!

Rich

Niall C

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 10:11:42 AM »
Jim,

Since Rich has the north covered heres some suggestions for west and east.

West - suggest you base yourself in Prestwick or Troon. Courses to play that you've not previously;

Glasgow Gailes (home course therefore felt obliged to put it top of the list !) - fairly adjacent to Western, just over the railway line, has maybe more of a heathland feel with plenty of heather and gorse. Regularly an Open Qualifier.

Barassie (Kilmarnock) - haven't played it in a while but similiar to Gailes. Mix of older (shorter) holes and new (mostly longer) holes with bags of character.

Irvine Bogside - like the two above, not immediately beside the sea but still qualifies as a links. Small greens and plenty of undulations from what I remember from my one visit.

Prestwick St Nicholas - no doubt I'm in a minority here but I prefer this to the Old Prestwick. Old fashioned links with typical out and in routing. Holes nearest the clubhouse, both going out and coming in, have bags of character with loads of humps and hollows, gorse etc. The course has a fair dash of quirk as well.

Dundonald - adjacent to Western and Glasgow Gailes, relatively modern Kyle Philips design. Compared to all of the above, this feels very American and certainly long depending on what tee you play from.

Troon Municipals - there are 3 courses, all of which play inland from the coastal railway line but apart from 3 holes on the Lochgreen course all are defintely what you would classify as links. The smallest is Fullarton which is a par 66. This is more of a beginners/old mans course (I wonder how many I've upset with that comment !) but still good fun. The other two I would recommend before it. The Darnley is the shorter of the two, but for my money  has more character and is more fun with some good shortish par 4 's amongst the gorse. Lochgreen, which has the three holes which are parkland, is an Open Qualifier course and is where I believe Nicklaus first qualified for the Open. Bearing in mind that they are muni's they do tend to be scruffy round the edges but then In my humble opinion thats the way links should look. The greens though are generally to a very high standard and in past times some of the best I've played on.

Belleisle (Ayr) - if your looking for a break from links, Belleisle is a good James Braid designed Parkland. Also a muni.

Jim, theres plenty of other courses in Ayrshire but those are the obvious ones that spring to mind. Each has its own merits depending on whether you are a bunch of low handicappers looking to get tested or whether you are looking for some fun golf.

I'm sure you know all about the St Andrews area so I will stick to commenting on East Lothian.

Gullane - there are 3 courses, no's 1, 2 and 3. All three courses start on the edge of town and and then go over a hill (which I think is called Gullane Law, although I could be wrong) play over the otherside and then come back again. From the top of the hill you can see over to Fife. No 1 doesn't get much love on this site, possibly because I don't think it is good value compared to other courses. Certainly I would save your money and play 2 and 3 which are similiar in character although 1 is longer than 3 and has more bunkers than 2. Greens are consistently very good.

Luffness New - adjacent to Gullane. Not played it but reputedly very good.

Longniddry -  another one on my wishlist which I've heard very good reports about.

Kilspindie - old fashioned golf, short with small greens. Bags of character as has the clubhouse.

Craigielaw - just over the wall from Kilspindie, new course which built at about the same time as Kingsbarns. Good fun with some undulating.

The Glen, North Berwick - undalting course, particualrly the 1st and 18th, with some interesting/quirky holes like short par 3 13th (?) on the beach.

North Berwick is the obvious place to stay and all of the above are within a 10/15 minute drive time of each other.

Niall 

Jason Topp

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 11:32:06 AM »
I have grown to greatly prefer staying at one location for the week, rather than moving around.  If you stay in one location, you get a much better feel for the town, you have much more time to play golf and the trip is much more relaxing.  In addition, you can play many non Open rota courses that are as good or better than the open courses at a fraction of the cost.  Scotland is so small you can day trip to nearly any other course, play 36 and return the same day.

I have spent a week at St. Andrews and have spent most of a week at Dornoch.  Either location has more terrific golf within a short driving distance than you can possibly play in a week.  My father and I even played 36 at Turnberry one day while staying at St. Andrews.  It was a long day but very doable.

One other suggestion that I have always wanted to try is to play in some events at a particular course.  Many courses have "Golf Weeks" with a variety of competitions.  I always thought that would be a great way to actually play with some Scots rather than feel you are a part of a herd of americans shuttling from course to course like a visit to a Disney theme park.

David_Tepper

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 11:49:33 AM »
Here is a link to a 2002 Washington Post article on the golf courses Rich Goodale & I have suggested from Aberdeen to Dornoch:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2002/04/07/AR2005041500629.html 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »

Jim,

Start at St andrews and then go up the coast and hit Cruden Bay, Castle Stuart, and Royal Dornoch..........then thank me later.

Carpe Deim,

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back