News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

The Championship Belt of 1860-70 will be presented to the Winner of The Open at St Andrews in 2010

Prestwick Golf Club has decided to aware the 2010 The Open Champion with a replica of the prized red morocco leather belt ornamented with silver. The following is a photo of the original belt, is held under lock & key at The R&A Club House

For the full report see the Scotsman Newspaper link  http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Golf-Prestwick-club-to-hand.5340819.jp

Melvyn
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 06:10:51 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Cristian

The Championship Belt of 1860-70 will be presented to the Winner of The Open at St Andrews in 2010

Prestwick Golf Club has decided to aware the 2010 The Open Champion with a replica of the prized red morocco leather belt ornamented with silver. The following is a photo of the original belt, is held under lock & key at The R&A Club House

For the full report see the Scotsman Newspaper link  http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Golf-Prestwick-club-to-hand.5340819.jp

Melvyn

As I understand it, it may be 2035 before Prestwick are handing out another replica; so Tiger seems to have only one realistic shot at it, perhaps he's lucky then, that next year The Open is returning to St Andrews.  :)

Rich Goodale

Please read the article, Christian.  Whoever wins the 2010 Open gets the replica belt.

John Moore II

Rich, methinks Christain did read the article, 2035 would be the 175th year, so it makes sense. This makes me want to try and qualify. Belts are damn classy things, far better than winners trophys in my mind.

Cristian

Rich, methinks Christain did read the article, 2035 would be the 175th year, so it makes sense. This makes me want to try and qualify. Belts are damn classy things, far better than winners trophys in my mind.

Yes that's what I meant, "after next year" I should have added. I don't think even Tiger will have a realistic shot at the Open in 2035.... (even though it will probably be held at St Andrews again that year)

Mark Woodger

This makes me want to try and qualify. Belts are damn classy things, far better than winners trophys in my mind.

John,

Whilst I have no idea what your chances of qualifying are it might be cheaper and less hassle to buy a replica from the merchandise tent.  ;D

PCCraig

Does it come in White? Red Morocco was sooo 19th Century.  :) 
H.P.S.

Rich Goodale

Yes that's what I meant, "after next year" I should have added. I don't think even Tiger will have a realistic shot at the Open in 2035.... (even though it will probably be held at St Andrews again that year)

Comprende, Christian.  I now understand what you were trying to say.  That being said, given the way medicine and training are moving, and given Tiger, I wouldn't write him off in 2035.  After all, look what Greg Norman did last year whilst playing golf in his spare time.

Cristian

Comprende, Christian.  I now understand what you were trying to say.  That being said, given the way medicine and training are moving, and given Tiger, I wouldn't write him off in 2035.  After all, look what Greg Norman did last year whilst playing golf in his spare time.

I offer you a 10/1 quote on Tiger winning the Open 2035 as he will be 60 years of age, 7 years older than Norman last year!......  ;D

David Stamm

I think this is a great gesture. I would be appropriate if a young up and comer (about Young Toms age when he won it) could win it and launch a great career that Young Tom never got to finish.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Melvyn Morrow

David

Great thought, lets keep our fingers crossed that some new young blood will take the Championship next year.
Think that will do a tremendous amount of good for the game worldwide.

Melvyn

Michael Dugger

That will look nice on Tiger's mantle
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Anthony Gray

The Belt would make a nice tradition. Melvyn, Have you held the original in your hands?

Anthony

Melvyn Morrow

Anthony

No, we (the some of the family) are only allowed to look at it through the reinforced glass. The R&A will not lets us handle it again because we actually want it back in the Family so that it can be put on Open Display to the public at large. Not just the few privileged.

Melvyn

John Moore II

This makes me want to try and qualify. Belts are damn classy things, far better than winners trophys in my mind.

John,

Whilst I have no idea what your chances of qualifying are it might be cheaper and less hassle to buy a replica from the merchandise tent.  ;D

Yeah, but then it wouldn't have the meaning. If I'm going to buy a replica however, I'm gonna buy a replica WWE championship belt, kind of like the one Ric Flair used to wear.

And as far as trying to qualify, I was being somewhat cheeky there, though I have tried to qualify for the US Am and US Open before. Came close to making it to Open Sectionals. I think if I had the time to practice every day, I could get close since I'm mentally a much better player now than I was the last time I tried to qualify.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back