News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jaeger Kovich

BPB Routing a good thing!
« on: June 22, 2009, 08:28:38 PM »
After spending wed-monday at the open I feel that the routing on the Black Course helped with the exciting finish and overall experience of being at the tournament... here is my reasoning

- Helped by the USGA decision to split the starting holes of all the rounds off #1 and #10, which are on opposite sides of the course, and mainly the road which all players cross 2x during a round. Crowding wasn't much of an issue, even with the constant closing of ropes due to excess water and dangerous conditions. This also lead to less wait times, as play was pretty much constant the entire time

- The road itself added to the excitement. With the par-3 #14 a birdie hole, the last hole played on the other side of the road, there was never any doubt when something big happened because of the crowd. Sitting anywhere on the last 4 holes or 1, you could hear the roars from great shots and holed putts, building the suspense! Also it gave players this "grand" entrance into the final stretch with the thunderous applause all the big names got while heading to #15 tee.

- The final 4 holes all have views each other. There was almost no need for the leaderboards because all the players knew exactly what was going on from every point on those last 4 holes by sound and sight. Phil and Duval were both watching putts on 16 while on 17 green. These holes, especially 17 grandstands and behind 16 green offered perhaps the best viewing area I have ever seen. You could watch tee shot and approach shots on 15 (no view of green), 16 green and approach, all of 17, #1 green and tee, 18 tee and green.

- The holes on the far side of the road (2-14) do tend to play moderately parallel, with a slight take on the in/out routing of TOC... 4/13, 5 and 6/12, 9/7, 10/11... This made it great for watching, you could catch players on both sides relatively easy by walking on pavement, or if you wanted to stay with one group, you wouldn't really get mixed into the other side because the sides are separated by trees or mounds (10/11)

I was sitting near the top of 17 green grandstand on the side closer to 16 and the trophy club, right along the railing so I had an unrestricted view of 16/15 and as Johnny Miller said on the tv multiple times... may have been the best seat in the whole place

... so now let me have it for saying something positive about the place!

Patrick_Mucci

Re: BPB Routing a good thing!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 08:38:06 PM »
Jaeger,

I found the golf course stunning, in its scale and in the use of the available terrain.

What many seem to forget is that the "Black" is just one of FIVE golf courses on that site.

Five golf courses !

There are counties that don't have five golf courses let alone one complex.

I also found the directional changes a positive.
It's hard to get a favorable wind for more than two holes

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 09:24:38 PM »
Patrick - Your point about the 5 courses is great! One thing I thought of when trying to account for all the damage, which I think really helps put the size and layout of the entire facility in perspective is... Bethpage State Park will have seemling significantly less damage the Winged Foot Golf Club even with all the rain. From my count each course other then the black will have about 2 fairways that have been ruined (I know 2 r, g, and bl at least) which will mean the entire place will be playable much quicker even though the conditions were just about the worst ever!

The only back to back holes I can think of with truely the same wind direction are 4-5. On the back there is also the stretch where 11 and 12 approach are the same as 13 and 14, but 14 is mostly blocked out my trees.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 10:25:18 PM »
Jaeger:

One of the big time advantages for the Black is having such acreage allows for easier handling of galleries. If other courses with smaller areas were used -- and add to that the sheer amount of H20 that fell, the likelihood would have been mud city to the max. Pat is quite correct -- Craig Currier and his staff and volunteers deserve plenty of credit for maxing out the turf conditions inspite of the tremendous odds against them.

Nicholas Coppolo

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 10:32:27 PM »
I was out today and had an absolutely WONDERFUL day.  We followed Phil from 12 to 17 and then watched the rest come in......just fantastic and electric.

I have never been to a major.....I was SHOCKED at the damage.  Not trying to be a downer, I just couldn't believe how torn up the place got.  The walkways and perimeters to all the holes on the black were nearly quagmires, Red 1 fairway ruined, Blue 1 tee:totally ruined.   Just amazing.

How long does it take to get back?

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 11:20:49 PM »
Could the above description(s) of Bethpage's infrastructure be more different from Merion's?

How would this week's logistics have been different at that past and future site?

WW

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back