News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul_Turner

Dun Laoghaire Golf Club?
« on: June 20, 2009, 09:45:54 AM »
Does anyone know if the original course was ploughed under for housing?  I know that was the plan...but I'm wondering if the economic trouble had stayed its destruction?  Thanks
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Padraig Dooley

Re: Dun Laoghaire Golf Club?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 11:43:53 AM »
Yes Paul

The club has moved to it's new course, don't know what it's like but it's supposed to have the best practise facilities in Ireland. Padraig Harrington joined the club to use the facilities.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 02:20:36 PM »
A mate of mine's grandfather was a long-time member and my mate still wears the old club shirt with pride. I'll see if I can find out a bit about the old course from him.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
Yes Paul

The club has moved to it's new course, don't know what it's like but it's supposed to have the best practise facilities in Ireland. Padraig Harrington joined the club to use the facilities.

But is the old course still there?  Or is it all housing now?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 03:56:08 PM »
Paul

I don't know if the old course is still there, there's been a couple of relocating deals over the past few years, generally involving waiting for the new course to be built, then moving and handing the old course over to the developer.

When Dun Loaghaire mowed it was at the height of the poperty boom, so I'd imagine it's housing now.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

paul cowley

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 06:39:03 PM »
I'm old enough to have a long perspective....lived in Blackrock and attended Avoca school as a youth in the Fifties. Lived in Dun Laoghaire for a year as a teen and played there when I could....all before the boom.

I'm assuming the two snooker halls on the main drag haven't departed as well....have they?

I need to go back...but know you can't go back.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Jack_Marr

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 08:50:03 AM »
The old course has not been dug up yet, I don't think. The new course is a pretty predictable course up the mountains with lakes jammed in etc. Some nice holes. Security guard stops you at the gate and quizzes you about your intentions. Not very Irish at all.

The clubhouse is the height of bad taste. It's like a basketballer's house.

John Marr(inan)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 10:32:29 AM »

Paul T, last summer the course had hoarding around it and no development had started. I went to the library and could find nothing about the course.

Scott we have much to talk about.  The Muldoon’s were long time members, certainly from the 50’s to the 70’s. If I ever make it to the new course I’ll be looking for the following names as past competition winners.

My grandfather
Richard Muldoon (Owned the Ardee Hotel in Marine Terrace). 
His wife
Sally Muldoon, the best of the lot, played in National Comeptitioins as far back as the 30’s.  I have quite a collection of Silverware that she won, mostly from Thurles GC in the 40’s.
DunLoaghaire GC was their life.  After golf it was Bridge.  7 days a week. A bygone era.

Their sons. Both low single figure golfers.
Dr Richard ‘Dick’ Muldoon. Dad. If memory serves me correctly in the late sixties he won a competition there partnering his mother on a holiday trip back.
Raymond Muldoon – my uncle

It will interesting to hear you mate’s grandfathers recollections.

Although it didn’t stick with me then my first introduction to golf was my grandmother trying to teach me how to run the ball onto the green and urging me to “Make the 7 iron my friend”.  I am amazed to write the following … it must have been in 1965. Yikes where did that time go?

Paul C you’re right, you can never go back.  I have a vague recollection of the snooker bars and some great pubs (from the 70’s/80’s) but I don’t think they survived the two shopping centres they have now.

;D
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jason McNamara

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 06:53:02 PM »

Permission to use this line in the future, please.

Scott Warren

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 07:19:37 AM »
Steady on, fellas. Some of those 'ballers on Cribs have a nice setup.

Tony, the mate in question is arriving in the UK in two weeks to do a similar thing to me. We'll have to get him roped in to a game of golf and you can discuss it with him directly.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 07:27:11 AM »
Paul,

The construction was due in two phases (split by the road that the golf course was also split by). Phase 2 absolutely hasn't started.

Phase 1 I am less sure about. As Jack said, it is certainly cordoned off so I wouldn't be surprised if initial earthworks / excavations / site investigations have taken place at least rendering the golf course obsolete... I'd be highly surprised if the construction has stopped soon after that though.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back