News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Re: In My Opinion Friars Head is...
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2009, 12:12:25 AM »
With my buddy in town last week for the Open, not playing this time, we played Frairs Head.  I've now played there enough times to be over the 14-18 wow factor that so many feel.  My favorite hole is 13.  It is a lot more than a really long hole. The center bunkers force a strategic decision on the tee, the green is huge with really fun undulations .  A left fairway drive seems to make the right geenside bunker act as a magnet.  A right fairway drive opens up the green, but it always seems difficult to get the ball pin high from the right.  Also, when downwind the fairway is monstously wide, but he huge green plays small because the ball has to be run up or well executed to hold the green.
    Since I enjoy ranking courses, I will  boldly rank it ahead of NGLA but slightly below Shinny.  I love NGLA, but Friars Head really is that great.  I have a much warmer feeling the mornings that I am going to play FH.  My buddy Dennis was totally blown away and came up with the same ranking. He parked his motorhome on what is now the 18th green of Sebonack in 2004 and played a couple of fun rounds at NGLA in addition to the real rounds that week. 

Niall C

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2009, 06:19:24 AM »
Ryan,

One of my "early" arguments with Brad Klein had to do with the "impulse or "wow" factor" and its influence on the rating process.

Time and time again I found myself tremendously impressed by a golf course.

However, as time passed, the "wow" and/or newness factor wore off and I was better able to assess the merits of the golf course without the experience blotting out all others.

I think Friar's Head is a really terrific golf course.
I think the entire complex is spectacular.

But, I wonder if you're not under the influence of the "wow" factor ?

Labeling Friar's Head as "the greatest piece of art ever created" is lofty praise indeed.

But, given time, I wonder if your assessment will be tempered ?

Could you calendar a point in time, perhaps 6 or 12 months from now, and then revisit your Friar's Head assessment and tell us if you still feel that it's "the greatest piece of art ever created. "

Thanks

Patrick,

I've never played Friars Head and sadly I'm never likely to, however I totally understand your comments above. Kingsbarns comes into that category, once the wow factor fades, which it inevitably does, you have a very good golf course but not a great course IMHO.

On the flip side some courses just don't seem to get that much love and sometimes I think its because of the lack of wow. Are we too focused on the aesthetics on this site ?

Niall

astavrides

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2009, 09:07:55 AM »

The 14-18 stretch is great at FH, but in a match play it still loses on the 18th hole at Merion (14 + 15 to FH, 16 and 17 to Merion),

what about in stroke play?  nobody ever compares courses using a stroke play analogue.  You can rate each hole 1-10 for example.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back