News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Hutto

Re:Golf Architecture Pictures website
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2006, 12:54:27 PM »
George Pazin,

So how long before one of the tree-haters here opines that the pictured hole at Royal Hague would be better with all those trees eliminated   ??? Surely it doesn't take a tree lover to think that's one cool hole.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 12:54:41 PM by Brent Hutto »

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2006, 12:56:08 PM »

Paul, I'm not fully oriented on this picture. What is the pad in the right foreground? Is it a forward tee for this hole?

If so, that's a darned tough angle for whatever short hitter chooses that tee. I hope it is the up tee box, it's always nice to see a short tee with a challenge equal to or greater than that faced from the longer player hitting from all the way back...

Brent,

That pad appears to be the back tee on the next hole. You can make it out in the first picture to the right of the green.

TK

George Pazin

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2006, 01:23:44 PM »
George Pazin,

So how long before one of the tree-haters here opines that the pictured hole at Royal Hague would be better with all those trees eliminated   ??? Surely it doesn't take a tree lover to think that's one cool hole.

Obviously not, since I'm one of those tree haters. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2006, 02:41:23 PM »
Frank,

An excellent idea and how very generous of you to share it with golf lovers without charging for it!  How do you find so much good weather?  All I seem to get are dark and dismal pictures even in mid-summer.

It's bookmarked.

Frank Pont

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2006, 01:29:59 PM »
Frank

Of course you can use those pics I sent you.

Regarding Berlin Wannsee:  I'm pretty certain that the 9 hole course is Colt/Morrison.  I've seen this par 3 in an old magazine just after build:

Classic Colt and Co shaping.

It looks more interesting than the 18 hole course there.  Did you see it?  Had a quick look through your pics and couldn't find that par 3.  (I think Peter Alliss's father Percy was the pro there).

www.glcbw.de

Paul,

unfortunately I only played the 18 holes course at Wannsee, which indeed was not that interesting (narrow and a bit primitive style shaping). Regret not playing the 9 holes....

Christoph Meister

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2009, 12:53:36 PM »
Frank

Of course you can use those pics I sent you.

Regarding Berlin Wannsee:  I'm pretty certain that the 9 hole course is Colt/Morrison.  I've seen this par 3 in an old magazine just after build:

Classic Colt and Co shaping.

Hello Paul,

the additonal 9 holes designed by Colt in the late 1920s are part of today's 18 hole course. They are more or less the 9 holes which are furthest away from today's clubhouse. These 9 holes were used after 1952 by the Germans, whereas the American Forces from 1945 on used the original 18 holes from 1924 designed by Butchart/Hoffmann.

There was a composite course in use for German Open Championships after 1953 using 9 American and 9 German holes. These holes are todays 18-hole course, whereas todays 9 hole-course dates from 1924 and is not Colt-designed. Due to war damages the course has undergone many detailed changes which makes it difficult to spot any typical so-called Colt features.

Regards,

Christoph

Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Lyne Morrison

Re: Golf Architecture Pictures website
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2009, 03:42:41 PM »

Frank - well done! looks like this will be a very enjoyable resource.

Thank you -- Lyne

Cory Brown

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2009, 10:04:17 PM »
This might be a tad off topic, but the discussion about the photo size and resolution got me to thinking.  I just looked up a couple of my pictures and the size is 3072x2304 at 300 dpi.  Is this something I should change to be closer to the numbers you are talking about?  If so is that something I can just do on my camera?
Hope this isn't a stupid question.

C. Squier

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2009, 10:11:44 PM »
Cory, always take the biggest pictures your camera (and memory card(s) can take).  There are tons of apps out there that can very easily resize pictures to a more web-usable size.  If you take smaller pics and ever want to print one or to use as a desktop picture, you're stuck with a small photo that can't get bigger without reducing quality. 

I don't know what kind of camera you have, but the higher end cameras will likely have the RAW photo format.  Creates huge files, but are highly flexible.  If you happen to use a Mac, I highly recommend checking out Aperture. 

Ed Oden

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2009, 10:33:07 PM »
I am a regular visitor to Frank's site and agree that it is a great resource.  I only wish the pictures were labeled.  Without any identification, it is often very hard to know what you are looking at.

Ed

Christoph Meister

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2009, 06:41:21 AM »
I am a regular visitor to Frank's site and agree that it is a great resource.  I only wish the pictures were labeled.  Without any identification, it is often very hard to know what you are looking at.

Ed

I do agree with Ed - the pictures are great, all taht's missing is some form of labelling! For courses I have played myself and which are golf architecural gems - like Hamburg-Falkenstein- I have no trouble recognising the holes even without labelling - but for other courses....

Frank, please keep going with that site!

Christoph
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2009, 07:54:38 AM »
Is there anyway that you could allow users of the webpage to add comments?  If someone has played the course and know it they may be able to fill in comments on yours or other people photos?

I remember finding this site a few months ago and thought it was an amazing collection. 

On a bit of a side not how do you add pictures to comments on golf club atlas?

Scott Warren

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2009, 07:59:51 AM »
Ross there is a thread on the topic somewhere from just after the recent re-design with instructions.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back