News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carlyle Rood

Hole 8 at Bethpage (Black) - Tree Pruning
« on: June 21, 2009, 10:01:34 AM »

Hole 8, Black Course, Bethpage State Park, Farmingdale NY

This is a photo of the 8th hole at Bethpage (Black) in 2004, during U.S. Open week (at Shinnecock Hills).  Notice how dense and full the tree is to the right of the green.

I've since seen photos of this tree and it seems substantially less dense.  In fact, you can see the sky through the branches now.  Nor does it seem to overhang the green as much.

I think this is likely a good thing; but, I wonder whether this was planned or just the artifact of a lightning strike or disease.  Perhaps it was damaged by hundreds of thousands of deflecting golf balls.  I'm inclined to think it was deliberately pruned--particularly since the tree doesn't encroach the green quite as much.

Carlyle

P.S. You may also notice that the bunker has changed since then.  Could the green have shifted too?  Would that explain why the tree doesn't overhang as much?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 10:04:06 AM by Carlyle Rood »

Mike Sweeney

Re: Hole 8 at Bethpage (Black) - Tree Pruning
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 10:05:54 AM »
Phil Young said in another thread it is disease and it is coming down soon. Not clear on if it will be replaced.

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 10:11:22 AM »
Had that tree been cut down on Monday, David Toms would have made the cut.

C

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 01:43:36 PM »
A.  You don't know that, as Toms might have lost the strokes elsewhere.

B.  I play Leatherstocking in Cooperstown on Friday and could not believe how obstructed the entire right side of the par three ninth is.  You simply cannot play a right to left shot in at all.  The reason is fairly obvious:  protection of cars and houses on the street that borders the entire hole.  If you don't have a cut-hold shot (righties), you might as well punch a hybrid up the bowling alley.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 05:43:58 PM »
Yes, The tree is very near its end and will not make it through the winter...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back