News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re: Bethpage/East Coast/NY Bashing...just plain BS
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2009, 11:25:10 AM »
...hasn't this week made it perfectly clear the US Open should ALWAYS be contested in California?  We can pretty well guarantee no rain in mid-June.   ;D

Yeah, but can you guarantee sweat-rolling-down-your-back humidity? :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2009, 11:27:44 AM »
Sweeney, you dog... yes we can have fog.

I am a poet and I know it.

;D

John Kirk

« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2009, 11:40:48 AM »
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Mickelson to 5 feet from 229 yards on #13.  BIG play.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2009, 11:41:16 AM »
GO PHIL!!!!

The hell with every one else ;D ;D

But if not, go Lucas,,,we like our first time winners to be literate and fans of history!!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

John Kirk

« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »
I'm smelling a playoff.  More golf on TV!

J Sadowsky

« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2009, 12:23:37 PM »
If Mike Weir could putt, he would have won this thing by maybe 8 shots.  Never seen a pro miss that many within what, 6 feet?  Aiy.

You misspelled "Tiger Woods."  Weir's been awful off the tee, too - just hit a shot unplayable so he could tee off for his 3rd shot.

John Kirk

« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2009, 12:34:27 PM »
The Iceman makes another big play.  How about David Duval?

It is not OK for fans to yell encouragement to Phil Mickelson before the club has struck the ball.  Sorry New York fan, but that is bullshit.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2009, 12:39:11 PM »
John,

You are absolutely right about any premature vocal support...however, the y asked Tiger exactly about that and he said they were timing it just fine. TV does have a meaningful audio/video discrepancy, so maybe it isn't as bad as it appears???

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

John Kirk

« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2009, 12:43:05 PM »
Yes, possibly. It did not seem to affect him.  Still, there are a handful of overzealous fans.

Six players within one shot with three holes to go.  Wow!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2009, 12:45:40 PM »
DD, 3 birds in a row...what a finish this is going to be!!!

John Kirk

« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2009, 12:50:15 PM »
Glover sticks it on #16, Mickelson bogeys #17...I say the big play that everybody remembers is still coming...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2009, 01:26:04 PM »
Congrats to Lucas Glover, a great win!  Go Clemson Tigers!

Where were those flat greens everybody was bitching about?  Seemed like every cup was cut in a ticklish spot today.  Gotta feel bad for Rickie Barnes but his swing couldn't handle the pressure.

John Kirk

« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2009, 01:33:22 PM »
Not sure you can say the 18th hole setup was worthwhile.  Everybody putted from approximately the same place.  Driver to 50-60 yards, little wedge 30 feet behind the hole, and nobody made the putt.  Everybody made 4.

Congrats to Lucas Glover.  The end was a bit anticlimactic but the morning was captivating all around.  Glover played like a pro down the stretch, and made the one big play he needed.

George Pazin

« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2009, 01:35:26 PM »
Pretty amusing that after all those posts and all that b@#$in', the winning score was -4, and only 4 guys broke par.

Congrats, Lucas, you earned it.

Michael Whitaker, if you speak to him, please pass along a hearty well done.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2009, 01:38:20 PM »

Michael Whitaker, if you speak to him, please pass along a hearty well done.

More importantly, can he get us on BB, that phone system is a bear!

David Stamm

« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2009, 01:50:16 PM »
Glover has debunked the adage that you can't win the tournament in the first round, but you can lose it.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tim Pitner

« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2009, 02:05:12 PM »
Glover has debunked the adage that you can't win the tournament in the first round, but you can lose it.

David,

Glover shot 69 in the first round; he shot 64 in the second round. 

Congratulations to Glover.  With a few exceptions, the play wasn't too inspiring today--it seemed like the players were worn out.  Some pretty poor short(ish) putts from Mickelson. 

David Stamm

« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2009, 02:31:33 PM »

David,

Glover shot 69 in the first round; he shot 64 in the second round. 

Congratulations to Glover.  With a few exceptions, the play wasn't too inspiring today--it seemed like the players were worn out.  Some pretty poor short(ish) putts from Mickelson. 

Tim, I was more referring to the fact that he had played his first two rounds on Friday (and part of Sat), when alot of players were caught in the wrong side of the pairings due to the weather. I agree Glover played great, early on. He just rode in his scores from rounds one and two. I'm not saying that it makes his win illegitmate, but I think in this unusual Open, he (and almost Barnes) won because of what he did early thereby throwing the afore mentioned adage out the window. I would have liked to have seen the winner play great in the final round when the pressure is at it's highest coming down the strecth, but a win is a win.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bill_McBride

« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2009, 03:23:17 PM »
Not sure you can say the 18th hole setup was worthwhile.  Everybody putted from approximately the same place.  Driver to 50-60 yards, little wedge 30 feet behind the hole, and nobody made the putt.  Everybody made 4.

John, don't you think they'd have done better hitting a 250 yard shot and then a full sand wedge or lob wedge?  Those 60 yard shots are murder, and that was proved over and over again.  That was a tricky bit of Mike Davis planning there, similar to #14's pin.  Good stuff I thought.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2009, 03:34:36 PM »

John, don't you think they'd have done better hitting a 250 yard shot and then a full sand wedge or lob wedge?  Those 60 yard shots are murder, and that was proved over and over again.  That was a tricky bit of Mike Davis planning there, similar to #14's pin.  Good stuff I thought.

Bill,

Again you have shown great knowledge about the game. Shorter may not equate to easier.

Anthony

Phil McDade

« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2009, 03:35:59 PM »

Bill:

Do you think two holes on the back nine, including the finisher, that require:

-- a downhill wedge shot;

and

-- a 6-iron/9-iron strategy

are worthy of the final round of the US Open?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2009, 03:45:14 PM »

Bill:

and

Yes.  That is as much a test of ball striking and course management skills as hitting long irons into rough surrounded concrete greens, the usual US Open exam.  I think the US Open has been much more fun to watch the last few years, starting at Oakmont, because of this change in philosophy.

Those delicate shots require as much nerve as the other parts of the repertoire. 
And everybody has to be able to hit them.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2009, 03:47:08 PM »

Bill,

Again you have shown great knowledge about the game. Shorter may not equate to easier.

Anthony

Anthony, you are such a suck up.

Kalen and Garland

Phil McDade

« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2009, 04:29:32 PM »

Bill:

and

Yes.  That is as much a test of ball striking and course management skills as hitting long irons into rough surrounded concrete greens, the usual US Open exam.  I think the US Open has been much more fun to watch the last few years, starting at Oakmont, because of this change in philosophy.

Those delicate shots require as much nerve as the other parts of the repertoire. 
And everybody has to be able to hit them.

Bill:

I can't imagine the players in this year's Open thought the 14th hole wedge shot was as difficult as the shots you see at the 10th at WFoot, or the 8th at Oakmont. And I'd believe exactly no one who says the 18th at the Black is a similar test, in the US Open, as either the 18th at Oakmont or WFoot.

I believe the US Open is the one tournament a year that should be unrelenting. Not the Masters, not the British Open, not the PGA, not even the Players at TPC. Just one -- this one. And it wasn't -- not with downhill wedge shots and a 6-iron/9-iron closer.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2009, 04:40:25 PM »

Bill,

Anthony

Anthony, you are such a suck up.

Kalen and Garland

Kalen and Garland,

I hate your posts!

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back