News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Re: Bethpage/East Coast/NY Bashing...just plain BS
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2009, 06:57:28 PM »
I do think the N.Y. city area courses are slightly overrated as a class. Bring back Cobbs Creek's original routing and stretch it out to 7400 yards and let's have at it!

Mayday,

All the Karma that Slapper started is now gone with this post. Without getting all Wardish on you and telling you how many high school practices and matches I played on Cobbs, I can still say this is the silliest post on the Board in recent memory.

85% of my rounds at The Black are pre-restoration. Cobbs can acquire Karakung, Philly Electric (McCalls? now) and a good section of West Philly, stretch it to 7900 yards, hire Gil Hanse, follow the initial routing, create a Frank Rizzo bunker and it still is not even in the same universe as The Black.

The Black has one simple advantage. Four other courses so Tilly knew he could go for it. Who really knows what the greens were like when it first opened.

mike_malone

« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2009, 07:02:53 PM »
 Mike Sweeney,

You are a typical ex Philly guy that goes to the big city. You get goofy!   The elevation changes on the old Cobbs routing are more varied and challenging than BPB in total. There are several very good holes at BPB but the entire course is held back by several soso holes.
AKA Mayday

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2009, 07:19:29 PM »
Mike Sweeney,

You are a typical ex Philly guy that goes to the big city. You get goofy! 

I have been trying to explain to Moriarity for some time now that he will never make it in Philly. Even when you are a Former and you move away, they treat you like the Kurds!

Chuck Brown

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2009, 08:06:09 PM »
1.  I think Bethpage is a wonderful Open venue.  They have created a great Open test there.  I think Mike Davis & Co. with the USGA have done pretty much everything right.

2.  I think the Bethpage staff and volunteers did an amazing job under difficult circumstances.

3.  I have had it with the "spirit" - or whatever else it might charitably be called - of the New York sports fans.  They just want to make themselves part of the show.  Yelling just to hear themselves yell.  And to be heard by the tv audience.

I know it is smart for people like Mickelson to talk about how great the New Yorkers are.  He has to play with them all around.  And you really wouldn't want to say, "I'm a card-carrying Yankee-hater, just like most of the rest of the country."  And then have to play 72 holes on Long Island.  Mickelson is smart.  I'm not sure I could be as smart, or as insincere.  I wrote today, on another forum, it is too bad that all of the wonderful New York Metropolitan-area Open golf courses come equipped with New York sports fans.

JC Jones

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2009, 08:16:46 PM »
Nicholas,

Your point(s) are valid. The course is playing effectively (and unfortunately) shorter. Mike Davis implemented the graduated rough concept to assist in scoring tolerance. We may disagree, but I do respect your opinion as it is formed by experience on the course.

Mike Wagner,

It seems my "barcolounger" comment is indeed spot on. If you've never been there, you can't possibly have a clue. Yes, you did start and inflammatory thread (from the cheap seats), got called out on it and thus deserve the response you've received. Now if you really want a fair shake, with zero effing sensitivity, pack up your sticks, come out to Farmingdale in late Sept-Oct (when the likelihood of deluge is vastly diminished) and tee it up on the Black vs. myself, Pat Mucci, Matt Ward, Jeff Lewis or any other of our native NY'ers. Even though we are old, past our primes and sooo very sensitive...we'd all happily play one of our home tracks and contribute to watching the Black kick your tail all the way back to wherever you call home. Until then, pop open a fresh one, spit out your chew, pull the recliner a little closer to your ancient TV (convert yet to digital?), turn down Johnny and watch the pros praise the course they are struggling with.

PS...we welcome opinions we don't agree with, so long as they are based on fact and experience. Are yours?

Seriously Steve, how do you really feel about midwesterners... :o

Having lived in Chicago for 13+ yrs, remained biz partners with two, and close to quite a few, I love-'em. That's the truth. Midwesterners, for the most part are solid, straightforward, hard-working folks. They are good fans, but often have a higher tolerance for losing and are usually far more forgiving than East Coasters.

Schmidt and myself have bantered enough over the years that we can tease one another all day long with no serious consequence. Now I've got zero idea where this Mike Wagner comes from, but his unfounded and misrepresented claims (never has set foot at the Black) and his revisionist history are bullcrap. If he comes from the midwest...do yourself a favor and trade him for someone like Mayday. We can afford to lose a Philly guy 8)....no one would miss him!!! ;)

No way, we dont want any Philly folks here.  We just want their cheesesteaks.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2009, 08:20:24 PM »
1.  I think Bethpage is a wonderful Open venue.  They have created a great Open test there.  I think Mike Davis & Co. with the USGA have done pretty much everything right.

2.  I think the Bethpage staff and volunteers did an amazing job under difficult circumstances.

3.  I have had it with the "spirit" - or whatever else it might charitably be called - of the New York sports fans.  They just want to make themselves part of the show.  Yelling just to hear themselves yell.  And to be heard by the tv audience.

I know it is smart for people like Mickelson to talk about how great the New Yorkers are.  He has to play with them all around.  And you really wouldn't want to say, "I'm a card-carrying Yankee-hater, just like most of the rest of the country."  And then have to play 72 holes on Long Island.  Mickelson is smart.  I'm not sure I could be as smart, or as insincere.  I wrote today, on another forum, it is too bad that all of the wonderful New York Metropolitan-area Open golf courses come equipped with New York sports fans.

Funny, I can hear 500 people yell "get in the hole!" every time Tiger Woods tees off a par 5 at every single event he plays in.  I'm not sure the uncivilized golf fan is a creature based solely out of NY.

mike_malone

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2009, 08:22:59 PM »
 Lapper,

That's a harse sentence===Chicago. I wouldn't be able to play a great golf course again!
AKA Mayday

Chuck Brown

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2009, 08:43:07 PM »

Funny, I can hear 500 people yell "get in the hole!" every time Tiger Woods tees off a par 5 at every single event he plays in.  I'm not sure the uncivilized golf fan is a creature based solely out of NY.

Indeed, Justin, there are "GETINTHEHOLE!!!" guys everywhere.  We even heard one or two of them this year at (gasp) Augusta.  And Scotland's wonderful golf fans almost brought an Open there to a halt with all of the camera phones a couple of years ago.

Those things happen.  Like disease, or poverty, or famine, they are tough to wipe out.  It just seems as though certain people would like to celebrate it in New York crowds.  Behavior that might occur with a handful of people (but which still shocks the collective conscience) at Augusta or in Scotland seems to be more the norm in New York.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2009, 08:52:01 PM »
Mike S:

Thanks for the plug ! ;D

Phil:

Thanks for the detailed reply to my initial comments to your first post.

A few more are needed now ...

Matt: I don't believe my personal experience on the Black, if I had played it, would make a difference in my assessment of the course and its set-up for this Open for these players. The two have nothing to do with each other. I can pretty easily make 15-footers in my driveway, because I've shot basketballs since I was about 8. I'm not sure that has anything to do with the ability of the average NBAer to shot 15-footers over Kobe Bryant in the NBA playoffs. I don't believe I've trashed the Black; maybe others on the Discussion Board have, but I've stuck to criticisms and questions about its set-up for this championship.

RESPONSE ... Watch the way the final round shapes up -- then weigh in with the final conclusion about how the course was set-up. You have had people on this site jump on the bandwagon of throwing the Black under the bus just halfway through the championship. At one point in the 3rd round 14 men were under par -- that number is dropping faster with each shot played thus far in the final round. Try to realize this -- the USGA has cut the overall distance of the Black to just over 7,200 yards and that includes a 139-yard par-3 14th and two tees pushed up for possible big time tee shots (e.g. the 6th and 18th). Despite all the talk about the Black playing soft -- the USGA has actually made the course play as fair as they can despite the massive H20 that has fallen and the course has held up really well. Where you base your conclusion upon the set-up for the championship is unknown to me since you weighed in when the event had not played out to conclusion. The Black is doing very well even though the greens have been dart boards if played correctly.

Matt: Nelson and Miller's achievements at Oakmont were singular accomplishments, largely unmatched during those Opens. Fact: Nelson shot 65-67 on the weekend in '83, six shots better than anyone else on the weekend. No one came close to what he did, which suggests the course wasn't yielding lots of low scores, just his. Pebble Beach, after all, was a beast in 2000, with no one scoring better than +3 for the entire tourney. Except for, you know, Woods -- Secretareit at the Belmont '73. Oakmont's leaderboard in '83 went -4, -3, -1, then +2 for those T-4. That's a proper examination of golf in the US Open. Similarly, the final round at Oakmont in '73 saw Miller go 63, Wadkins 65, two 68s (one of those by Jack N.), and nothing else under 70. Final leaderboard was -5, -4, -3, and then six golfers bunched at -2 and -1. That included Miller, Weiskopf, Nicklaus, Palmer, Trevino, Boros and Wadkins -- one of the better US Open leaderboards in history. In soggy conditions.

RESPONSE ... Phil, you are making a generalized conclusion when the event has not been played to its fullest. You are doing the ole race track response in saying look at who's front when the race has not reached the top of the stretch. My point was that vaunted Oakmont was believed to be a sheer terror that no one could penetrate. Whether the record was singular or not -- the mere idea that scoring could be had -- by Miller and Nelson -- lef the USGA to overdue things to the max of maxes with the '74 event at WF/W

Matt: Thanks for acknowledging my primary argument -- that the USGA set this course up easier than in '02, and that weather conditions exacerbated the easier course, yielding record-breaking scores.

RESPONSE ... Phil, the weather MADE the course easier to the fullest. The USGA had prepared the course properly -- allowing a healthy mix between difficult and impossible. In addition, the USGA has made the course more playable and guess what is happening -- less and less people are shooting anything close to what they did for the first 36 holes. If the USGA went to the max with 7,400+yards it would be a long and boring slog. Mike Davis understands that and I credit the USGA for moving ahead with his overall philosophy for US Open layouts.

Matt: I thought the golf at WFoot in '06 was incredibly compelling -- Mickelson's choke, Monty's near-miss, Olgivy's great finish, the unknown Ferrie hanging in there, Furyk and Harrington blowing putts down the stretch to possibly contend. I thought the set-up there was terrific, and it showcased an Open-worthy course.  The same holds true w/ Oakmont in '07 -- another compelling tournament, with the course and its set-up (the 17th with Furyk and Tiger comes immediately to mind) having a major impact on the outcome. Both had winning scores well over par, but both courses and set-ups produced compelling golf.

RESPONSE ... Phil, WF/W was thought to be over-the-top by many people. Keep in mind the PGA set-up WF/W well for the '97 PGA Champiionship when Love III won with a truly spectacular four round total of 269 -- the first time a winner had won at WF/W with such a low cumulative score. Keep this in mind again -- weather had a great deal to do with the way WF/W and Oakmont played in the '06 and '07 US Opens. BB showed its form in '02 but that's because the course was tighter and even tougher than it needed to be. No doubt there was a fear -- among USGA types -- that the less than compelling greens would allow for the pros to shoot lights out. What BB showed then -- and to a large extent now -- is how compelling the course is from a tee-to-green dynamic. BB has put a premium on solid driving and pinpoint approaches to score low. Watch what happens when such well-played shot don't happen.

Matt: I believe, and I think the record would show, that great courses properly set-up identify the world's best players. Not every single time, but generally so. Pebble's list of Open winners, to cite one course, includes Nicklaus, Watson, Kite, and Woods -- an awfully good group of golfers. Majors will always have flukey winners, because it's the nature of the game -- LeBron and Kobe have far greater ability to be consistently great at their games, compared to golfers, because of the fickle nature of golf and the fine line between greatness and also-ran. Tiger's having a bad week; he's had them before. He's still, by far, the best player around, no? Yes, Jones won at OH/S, but Moody won at Champions -- is that a venue on par w/ WFoot, Shinnecock or Oakmont?

RESPONSE ... Phil, you simply state the obvious ... BB demonstrared exactly what you stated above in '02. Does anyone understand what A DELUGE of H20 can do to ANY course? You can't enter NBA comparisons into the mix from a team game to one played by solo performes. Apples and oranges comparison. Let me point out that you didn't mention the Parks win at Oakmont -- the Jones win at OH/S -- the Campbell win at Pinehurst #2 -- shall I go on. You make it sound like Bethpage will crown a champ of far less importance. The course was there for the taking and the big name players -- as of 8:30 PM as I write this have not demonstrated as much. That's to the credit of BB as much as anything else.

Matt: If the weather has made the course easier, as nearly every NYork-area poster here argues, why has the USGA made it all the more easier by moving tees up? What gives? Have the blue-coats lost their mojo? Whatever happened to protecting par? Where's Sandy Tatum when we need him?

RESPONSE ... Phil, you must have missed the rightful smacking of the USGA for what happened in '02. Especially the tee placements at #10 and #12, to name the two most prominent. The USGA hasn't lost their mojo -- they've made it a point to make the unique dimensions of the course come through -- check out the pin at #14 for the final round -- the moving up of the tee boxes at the downhill 6th and 18th holes -- the movement of the tees at the par-4 7th at 489 when it can be stretched to 525 yards. The USGA, through the skills of Mike Davis and the others involved -- have realized that golf needs to have a proper balance between rewarding solid play to the point where good shots of any type are thrwarted time after time. People screamed bloody murder at the set-up of WF/W for the '06 event. Not a birdie could be had by anyone. BB has stood tall, inspite of all the weather and the USGA should be commended in providing for a set-up that allows players to score but not to a point where half-ass shots are rewarded. Just ask Sergio and all the others who have sprayed a bit too much. Just ask Ricky Barnes as he sleeps tonight pondering what he faces from the hay to the left of the 2nd green.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2009, 09:26:29 PM »
Lapper,

That's a harse sentence===Chicago. I wouldn't be able to play a great golf course again!

Malone,

But you'd have better neighbors!! You can always come visit us in NY/NJ area....anytime 8)
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

John Kirk

« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2009, 09:52:24 PM »
Alright, there is some bashing going here, and some bashing the bashers, and so on.  I have a question unrelated to the current arguments.

How does everybody feel about the fact that, 75-80% of the way through the tournament, the 550th ranked player in the world is tied for the lead, and the 880th ranked player is on the first page of the leaderboard?  Is that a reflection on the golf course or the wet playing conditions?  Do flatter greens or damp conditions prevent the great players from separating themselves from the others?   I think they do, to an extent.  Tiger and Phil are the only top ranked players near the top.

By the way, I think Phil enjoys the loud crowd, while Tiger tolerates it as best as he can.  David Duval playing well is a nice story.

I'll be back in a couple hours to see if anybody responded to my post.

David Stamm

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2009, 10:28:39 PM »
Alright, there is some bashing going here, and some bashing the bashers, and so on.  I have a question unrelated to the current arguments.

How does everybody feel about the fact that, 75-80% of the way through the tournament, the 550th ranked player in the world is tied for the lead, and the 880th ranked player is on the first page of the leaderboard?  Is that a reflection on the golf course or the wet playing conditions?  Do flatter greens or damp conditions prevent the great players from separating themselves from the others?   I think they do, to an extent.  Tiger and Phil are the only top ranked players near the top.

By the way, I think Phil enjoys the loud crowd, while Tiger tolerates it as best as he can.  David Duval playing well is a nice story.

John, I have felt in some ways that I'm watching the BC Open as opposed to the US Open. IMHO, this is not an indictment on the course, but the conditions and the unusual way the tournament has unfolded scheduling-wise. But, major championship pressure is different from others so I think someone will chase them down from behind and win, but I reserve the right to be wrong. ;)
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Phil McDade

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2009, 11:27:24 PM »
Responses:

----------------------------------

"Watch the way the final round shapes up -- then weigh in with the final conclusion about how the course was set-up."

Matt: So it's OK for you and others to defend the Black and its set-up before the end of the tourney, but it's not OK to critique the course and its set-up before its conclusion? I'll hold off if you hold off -- and you post a lot more than me. I've focused much of my criticism of the Black's set-up on the unusually low scoring seen in Rounds 1 and 2.

"Where you base your conclusion upon the set-up for the championship is unknown to me since you weighed in when the event had not played out to conclusion."

Matt: I based it on two rounds that yielded a record-low 36-hole, the 64s, 65s, and 66s, and 46 sub-par rounds.

"My point was that vaunted Oakmont was believed to be a sheer terror that no one could penetrate. Whether the record was singular or not -- the mere idea that scoring could be had -- by Miller and Nelson -- lef the USGA to overdue things to the max of maxes with the '74 event at WF/W."

Matt: Agreed that the USGA pushed it over the top at WF '74 in reaction to Miller's 63. But singular accomplishments are just that -- they occur rarely, as opposed to the regularity and the depth of players shooting under par at this Open. Pebble strikes me as still worthy of hosting the US Open, despite it yielding the lowest score ever in the history of the Open. The Pebble leaderboard in '00 was -12, +3 (two players), +4, +5 (two players). That's a decidely different leaderboard than if it had been -12, -10, -9, -7, with a dozen players under par.

"Phil, the weather MADE the course easier to the fullest. The USGA had prepared the course properly -- allowing a healthy mix between difficult and impossible."

Matt: Others disagree, not just me, including those on this Discussion Board who have played the Black. See Robert Mercer Deruntz on the Double Standards thread.

"Phil, WF/W was thought to be over-the-top by many people."

Matt: Not by me. By the way, WFoot has yielded exactly one round under 67 in the five US  Opens held there -- Zoeller's 66 in '85. (I'm not going to compare apples-to-oranges, as you do, when comparing the PGA to the US Open -- two completely different organizations setting up the course.)

"BB showed its form in '02 but that's because the course was tighter and even tougher than it needed to be."

Matt: Which is it -- BB showed its form (whatever that's supposed to mean), or was too tough?

"BB demonstrared exactly what you stated above in '02."

Matt: Yes, it was set up tougher, and the best golfer in the world emerged victorious.

"You make it sound like Bethpage will crown a champ of far less importance. The course was there for the taking and the big name players -- as of 8:30 PM as I write this have not demonstrated as much. That's to the credit of BB as much as anything else."

Matt: I'd argue it's to the detriment of the Black, that the two leaders as of Sunday night (five strokes clear of the field) are two guys who barely qualify as run-of-the-mill Tour players. No major championship contending as pros, no Ryder Cups, no President's Cups, no real impact on the Tour. Of all the arguments being made this week about the virtues and merits of the Black, the silliest one is that it's held Tiger and Mickelson in check. Every single great player in the history in the game has had indifferent majors. Which is the better course -- Oakmont, where Nicklaus won an Open, or Hazeltine, where Nicklaus (in his absolute prime) didn't even finish in the top 25?

"People screamed bloody murder at the set-up of WF/W for the '06 event. Not a birdie could be had by anyone."

Really, no birdies? Not a one? For the record, I did not scream bloody murder. And why should the USGA, as implied in your post, respond to such cries with easier US Open set-ups?

Sam Maryland

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2009, 11:55:46 PM »

I'm fine with it.  The kid is obviously talented and it goes to show you how deep the golf talent pool really is these days.  Yes, the conditions probably have bunched up the field and allowed for few people to place higher than they would in the normal super-severe US Open conditions. 

But these things happen now and then, I didn't think the Open Championship and/or Royal St. George's was in any way denigrated when the 396th player in the world won there...

Chuck Brown

« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2009, 12:45:16 AM »
It is generally not good for the game when a golf story is featured on the Drudge Report.

And so it is with this one:
http://www.newsday.com/sports/golf/usopen/ny-libeer2112902396jun20,0,3839123.story

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2009, 04:26:15 AM »
It is generally not good for the game when a golf story is featured on the Drudge Report.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/golf/usopen/ny-libeer2112902396jun20,0,3839123.story

As the one fan said in the video, 98% are good. I can say from experience, the 2% are no picnic and as someone said earlier, they are determined to be apart of the story.

The USGA and PGA need to set a zero tolerance policy for heckling (let's start with anyone who says "You da man") and enforce it. I don't think golf needs to go to the extent where Philly had the District Court set up in the basement of The Vet during Eagles games but it needs to create an atmosphere where the 98% can enjoy themselves.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2009, 06:22:42 AM »

As the one fan said in the video, 98% are good. I can say from experience, the 2% are no picnic and as someone said earlier, they are determined to be apart of the story.

The USGA and PGA need to set a zero tolerance policy for heckling (let's start with anyone who says "You da man") and enforce it. I don't think golf needs to go to the extent where Philly had the District Court set up in the basement of The Vet during Eagles games but it needs to create an atmosphere where the 98% can enjoy themselves.

Mike

When the Open comes to Merion, where do they normally set up the District Court?  The quarry?

John Kirk

« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2009, 10:15:42 AM »
Ever seen more guys in knee high grass on the final round of a televised golf tournament?

George Pazin

« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2009, 10:28:36 AM »
Funny and sad thread.

I am granting everyone a Papal dispensation to take a day off work this week and go play golf. Have fun!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kirk

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2009, 10:44:05 AM »
Forget all that, George...I'm making it my personal Twitter page, and will offer commentary while attending to other computer-related activities.  The tournament is shaping up nicely this morning.

Lucas Glover should win.  Barnes can't hit it straight right now.

John Kirk

« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2009, 10:52:56 AM »
Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are heads above the other players.  Another major leaderboard with Tiger, Phil and a host of others having a great week though Hunter Mahan is close to entering the elite few.

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2009, 11:02:49 AM »
If Mike Weir could putt, he would have won this thing by maybe 8 shots.  Never seen a pro miss that many within what, 6 feet?  Aiy.
That was one hellacious beaver.

John Kirk

« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2009, 11:07:18 AM »
Never has the field in a recent major depended more on expertise with hybrids and fairway woods. Weir can still win this thing.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2009, 11:11:27 AM »
jeez... all you New Yorkers and Chicagoans... hasn't this week made it perfectly clear the US Open should ALWAYS be contested in California?  We can pretty well guarantee no rain in mid-June.   ;D

As for this USOpen, jeez look out for Ross Fisher...

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2009, 11:23:37 AM »
We can pretty well guarantee no rain in mid-June.   ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back