News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne_Kozun

Cost of maintaining bunkers at BPB
« on: June 22, 2009, 10:37:40 AM »
The number and the size of the bunkers at BPB is astounding, but this raises one question - how can the state of NY afford to maintain this bunkers given the moderate greens fee charge?  It must cost a lot of coin to keep these bunkers in shape.  I can understand how that is done at a very high end private facility with annual dues in the $10k+ range, but how is it done at BPB?  Has it been subsidized by the USGA and the Opens held there?

Anthony_Nysse

Re: Cost of maintaining bunkers at BPB
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 11:30:17 AM »
They are machine raked, which saves A LOT of time and A LOT of labor....

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 12:05:58 PM »
Wayne,

They are not subsidized by the USGA. Remember, there are 5 golf courses, 3 that stay open all winter with a good deal of play. The revenues are such that the Park's profit subsidizes many of the other New York State Parks and that is AFTER all maintenance costs are deducted...

Rick Sides

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 04:32:29 PM »
Keep in mind the Black is packed almost all year with golfers.  Out of state residents pay about 125.00 a pop.  Also keep in mind Bethpage probably makes a lot in the clubhouse on sales and the 19th hole. They are not hurting.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 07:04:41 PM »
Rick,

The Black opens for play on April 15th and closes on November 15th every year. That's only 7 months.

Sam Maryland

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 07:29:20 PM »
And out of state residents are a very small percentage of the overall...  Rate is double for non-residents on Black and Red, so $120 and $92 respectively on weekends, about $10 less on weekdays.

As for the bunkers, as best I can tell they are able to afford the maintenance by pretty much not maintaining them -- they are rarely ever raked.  Don't get me wrong, I am not being critical of Craig and crew, to the contrary, I compliment them every time I am close to one of them....but on a day-to-day basis the bunkers are basically not raked.  Given the sheer number/size of bunkers in aggregate on the 5 courses it's somewhat understandable -- and the patrons sure don't hold up their end of the deal on raking bunkers.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 07:45:37 PM »
Sam,

On what do you base the statement "but on a day-to-day basis the bunkers are basically not raked..."

Sam Maryland

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 08:33:26 PM »
That's just been my experience.  Again, I love the place, and am hugely complimentary of the overall condition of all the courses...but if those bunkers get raked on even a weekly basis it's not apparent to me.  We mostly play on the weekend, and early, and they are just all tracked up almost all the time (maybe the get raked early in the week?  and again, the golfers are not holding up their end of the deal). 

They were certainly raked beautifully today!  Every single one of 'em hand raked between 7am and 8am.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 08:45:57 PM »
Sam,

I will check with Craig in a week or two, but they are supposed to be taken care of daily!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back