News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Ferlicca

Cordillera Summit Course Nicklaus (Pics)
« on: June 30, 2009, 07:16:20 PM »
Cordillera Golf Club is located in Edwards, CO, and consists of three courses.  The first course they built was the Mountain course designed by Hale Irwin in 1994, and then they built the Valley Course which is not even on the same property designed by Tom Fazio in 1997, and then finally built the Summit course designed by Jack Nicklaus in 2001.  They also have a 9 hole par 3 course that Dave Pelz did in 1997, so it is a pretty impressive facility.  Well, the summit course is literally at the top of the mountain at 9,000 feet in elevation, you honestly feel like you are on top of the world.  IMO it is a pretty good golf course considering the elevation changes he had to deal with, I can't even imagine trying to come up with a routing for this property.  I thouroughly enjoyed this round of golf since it provides views that are AMAZING, and once I was done I wanted to go to the first tee again to have another crack at it.  I had beef with only two golf holes, #2 and #11, I will explain the problem on the pics, but other than that I thought all the holes were done pretty well.  As you will notice, a lot of tee shots go up over the crest of a hill and then down to the green, you must realize he is designing a golf course on the top of a mountain.  I played the course from the tips at 7,530 yards but given the elevation is probably played around 7,100 yards.

Hole 1 Par 4- 434 yards  (Good opening hole, the first three holes start in the trees)

Hole 2 Par 4- 455 yards (Ok the tee shot looks pretty, and the view is amazing, but I hit a cut driver and it goes WAY through the fairway into the trees.  How am I supposed to know that on a 460 yards par 4?  They need to put a sign up or something)

Hole 3 Par 3- 135 yards (Very pretty short hole, they have these cool wooden plaques that list all the members who have gotten hole in ones, and they was over 25 on this hole!)

Hole 4 Par 4- 438 yards (The next three holes are in the open prairie land, providing vistas that extend over 200 miles)

Hole 5 Par 5- 549 yards (Good par 5, with a skyline green that just sits at the edge of the peak)

Hole 6 Par 4- 482 yards (Hardest hole on the course, uphill the hole way)

Hole 7 Par 3- 198 yards  (Very pretty par 3, a big two tiered green)

Hole 8 Par 5- 584 yards (A long sweeping par 5, that has amazing views to the right, a very uphill approach to the green)

This is sort of out of place, but a cool phone booth to order food at the halfway house

Hole 9 Par 4- 398 yards (A uphill par 4)

Hole 10 Par 4- 438 yards (A very good sweeping downhill par 4 that bends to the right, that right fairway bunker probably grabs tons of balls)

Hole 11 Par 3- 272 yards (Not a typo there, Yes a 270 yard par 3, even with the elevation I still hit a full three wood.  My problem with this hole is that most people are going to hit driver and there is about only 20 yards to be safe or else you are in the junk.)

Hole 12 Par 4- 504 yards (Probably my favorite hole on the course, you have to hit your tee shot over a cool rock outcropping then your second shot is over a marshland lake to a two tiered green)

Hole 13 Par 5- 621 yards (A very long par 5 that has a split fairway to approach the green on your second shot)

(You can hit it up by the maintenance vehicle on the right, or you can hit it to the left of the bunker)

Hole 14 Par 4- 412 yards (A par 4 that sits in the valley and then has a severe uphill second shot)

Hole 15 Par 4- 371 yards (A cool short par 4 that wraps around that mammoth bunker on the right hand side)

Hole 16 Par 3- 201 yards (The best par 3 on the course, set back into the woods)

Hole 17 Par 5- 560 yards (A cool par 5 that is a birdie opportunity, a nice tee shot and then a downhill approach to a tightly guarded green)

Hole 18 Par 4- 473 yards (A good finishing hole that has an uphill tee shot, and then goes dowhill to a pretty green site)

Here is the view looking back from the 18 tee at the previous three holes

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 07:22:35 PM by PFerlicca »

cary lichtenstein

Re: Cordillera Summit Course Nicklaus (Pics)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
Played it twice, views are spectular. First time I played it, I thought it was great. 2nd time I played it, I didn't like it.

Which goes to say, that you must play a course at least twice so that the eye candy does not overwhelve you the 1st time or just be smarter than me on the 1st time
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

jkinney

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 10:44:19 PM »
Another well done photo tour, Peter. Thanks.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 11:02:14 AM »
Ben and I played the back nine here back in '05. We both felt it was good. Seeing the pictures, I suspect I know why. Minimal intrusion from the hand of man. Sure the cart paths are, but, overall the golf was solid.

Starting on #11 the sequence is excellent. Mostly due to the pristine nature of the site.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 12:18:57 PM »
Peter:

Good photos on the Summit Course.

Here's my take on Cordillera ...

The Irwin layout you mentioned is the work of Dick Phelps with Irwin brough tin as the "name" designer. The Mountain Course is just unworkable from a practical side as the holes are literally shoe-horned in and around home sites with deep plunges that go back and forth. There are a few holes of note but you'll need to really search to find them.

The Valley Course provides the essence of why certain people like TF work and those, many on this site, find it more eye-candy oriented. The course is well done, from a practical sense in being design 101 paint-by-the-numbers, but there's little from an  architectural side that clearly shows what TF is fully capable in doing. Any person who plays The Valley and has the opporrunity to play another mountain course -- Glenwild in Park City -- will easily see the differences in my mind.

The Summit is what Cary mentioned -- most people get caught up with the eye-candy and majestic scenery. Nicklaus has done far better but he should get a few extra points for allowing the land to breathe and not throw the kitchen sink into the overall effort. No doubt the short playing season leaves little room for people to enjoy the layout beyond a few months per year.

Peter, you touched upon the redundancies that Team Nicklaus did there -- the up over-the-hill tee shot with the plunging downhill approach play. That's quite true --the main plus for me rests with the inner half of holes which take you on a wonderful journey that intersects with nature. If you want a better mountain layout head to nearby Wolcott and play the Norman Course at Red Sky Ranch.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 11:14:51 PM »
I am going there next week. It will be fun to play a little Mountain golf. Peter thans for the pictures.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 11:15:42 PM »
Is there anything else in the area that is ashould play?

Andy Troeger

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 11:51:00 PM »
Tiger,
Depends on how far you are willing to drive and what you have access too--there are quite a few golf courses in that area and I've only played a few. Others might chime in on what's between Eagle and Denver.

Adam's Mountain CC is a new (2nd or 3rd season open) course in Eagle designed by Weiskopf. Peter posted a photo thread on that one a month or so ago. Its very solid and has nice views.

Second Matt's comment on Red Sky Ranch Norman. He ranks it higher than I do, but its well worth playing. The Fazio has some great views--the course is good but not great.

If you can access it Country Club of the Rockies is very nice as well--set in a valley right off I-70. The back nine has a river that runs through a few holes--its an older Nicklaus design.

If you're willing to drive a little further west, Lakota Canyon Ranch (Engh) is awesome and best course of the ones I am mentioning. Plus the drive through Glenwood Canyon is absolutely stunning. Also I really liked Roaring Fork (Nicklaus) between Glenwood Springs and Aspen, but it doesn't seem to get much credit anywhere.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 11:01:16 AM »
Tiger:

By all means -- take the slight detour via I-70 and head to New Castle for Lakota Canyon Ranch and also to Wolcott for Norman's Red Sky Ranch. They are, for me at least, two of the best daily fee layouts you can possibly play in all of Colorado. If you have $$ to blow then by all means knock yourself out with the golf choices at Cordillera.

I've never played Adam's Mtn but I respect Andy's thoughts and others who have felt the same way about it.

If you need another sleeper choice that requires a bit of travel -- head to Steamboat Springs and play Keith Foster's Haymaker. Solid layout that flies considerably below the radar screen here on GCA and elsewhere.

Scott Henderson

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 11:17:08 AM »
Great pictures!  I too must vote for making the extra effort to play Lakota - it is a lot of fun.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back