News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Salmen

9th at Muirfield
« on: June 20, 2009, 04:34:06 AM »
I searched for the thread of the discussion and could not find it.  Last month the topic came up of what was happening with regard to the 9th hole at Muirfield for the Open.  Yesterday I played there as saw what they were doing.  Apologies for not taking pictures because it really would have been useful.  What they have done is torn out the wall behind the back tee.  They have rebuilt the wall back toward Renaissance, to the right behind the tee, and back up along the left side of the tees, perpendicular to the 8th fairway.  The result is an additional 50 or 60 yards without having to negotiate the wall.  It looks pretty good.

Bill_McBride

Re: 9th at Muirfield
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 06:05:39 PM »
I searched for the thread of the discussion and could not find it.  Last month the topic came up of what was happening with regard to the 9th hole at Muirfield for the Open.  Yesterday I played there as saw what they were doing.  Apologies for not taking pictures because it really would have been useful.  What they have done is torn out the wall behind the back tee.  They have rebuilt the wall back toward Renaissance, to the right behind the tee, and back up along the left side of the tees, perpendicular to the 8th fairway.  The result is an additional 50 or 60 yards without having to negotiate the wall.  It looks pretty good.

Is the new tee on Muirfield or Archerfield property?

Since #9 from the slightly forward tee is a brutal par 4, you'd think it would have been easier and less expensive to play par 71 and make it a par 4.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 02:51:15 AM »
Bill,

It is par 71 already and I would hate to play 9 as a 4 and them follow it with 10. And it's a really good par five and the added yards will make it even more interesting.
My memories of it are that playing it forward would really alter the way the bunkers influence the hole.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 03:01:42 AM »
I was able to take pictures of the front 9 at Muirfield a few weeks ago (stay tuned). My host is attempting to forward a copy of the R & A's renovation plans for the 2013 Open Championship, but I'm not sure if that will happen. He also said that The ECEG swapped with the Renaissance Club to obtain a strip of land along the edge of the property, part of which allowed for the lengthening of #9.

I actually hit #9 in two during both of by matches around the course. It wasn't until later that night as I was pouring over the yardage guide that I noticed it was a par 5!
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 11:36:32 AM »
Bill,

It is par 71 already and I would hate to play 9 as a 4 and them follow it with 10. And it's a really good par five and the added yards will make it even more interesting.
My memories of it are that playing it forward would really alter the way the bunkers influence the hole.

Bad memory on my part.  #5, #9, #17 par 5s.  Of course #10 played like a par 5 for me, my caddy recommended I lay up in front of the cross bunkers after a short tee shot in the morning round (our first hole)!  ;D

The land swap seems to solve any problems.

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 06:15:12 AM »
I was just reading a piece in the Edinburgh Evening news and it seems the land will also be used as a turf nursery and as Car parking for the 2013 open.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Golf-Renaissance-eyes-rebirth.5356078.jp

Some land is also going the other way and the renaissance club are getting some of Muirfield’s land to build three extra holes closer to the sea..  What holes will they be ripping up as a 21 hole course would not be normal?

Also will these holes be designed by Tom Doak?  It makes reference to designs he had for that piece of land, but how has he designed holes for a piece of land not owned by the club already?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back