News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Anthony Kim on Congressional
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2009, 12:03:28 AM »
I have read some drivel in my time on this site, but this thread might have more than its fair share.  I find it interesting that we condone ignorance.  Nicholas, it is just good manners to know something about the house where you will perform.  I do my fair share of speaking and traveling.  When I arrive at a new place it is just good form to be interested in the towns history etc when I am speaking with my hosts.

I can understand that any young man might be singled minded in his pursuit of excellence.  That does not mean that he should not broaden his horizons and be a learner in other aspects of his profession.  We have enough myopic folks who only know what is in front of them.  There is a lot to learn out there. 

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2009, 12:19:38 AM »
For some reason I am reminded of the Simpsons episode where Homer goes to rock and roll fantasy camp.

Mick Jagger: No matter which town you're in always say: 'this is the wildest town I've ever seen'.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

John Moore II

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2009, 01:05:33 AM »
Ask a football player who won the Super Bowl the last time it was held in the Rose Bowl. Or ask a 100m sprinter who won the World Championship in that event the last time it was held in Sydney.

Its stupid. First, AK was 10 or 11 when they last played the US Open at Congressional. I doubt he has time to review over the history of an event and I somehow doubt players have the ability to roam around in the clubhouse at CCC. He was there to play golf, not ponder the history of the club.

Ask any professional athlete about 'historic' old places. Baseball players, ask them about places like Polo Grounds, Ebbets Field, Old Comiskey Park. Who cares about history, go out, play golf, cash the check, go home. Repeat next week.

Oh, and by the way, who on here bitching about Kim and his supposed lack of historical knowledge could hang within 10 stokes of him? I can hang within 10 strokes of him, maybe beat him once out of 25 tries if I play my ass off, but I'm not bitching because he doesn't know the history of Congressional Country Club now am I?

Pat Burke

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2009, 01:17:26 AM »
First, the beauty of this argument is that I kinda like both sides :P
A Kim is a young guy who I am pretty certain did not have parents teaching him to respect the history of the game,
only to practice and work hard enough to hopefully create history. 
My parents were 2nd generation golf professionals, so you can bet your ass I learned and respected the history and traditions
of golf.  Do I know them all?  Of course not, but I do respect them, and try to teach them to my students.  Score  one for parenting :)

Let's not pound a young clueless kid, simply because he didn't know something like this, he is after all a couple of years in to learning in many ways how to behave properly as a touring pro thanks to some great guidance at his home club.  The fact that he has taken this mentor's advice to heart (after getting his ears pinned back a little)  at least shows many around there that there IS a desire to learn.  Not bad for his age ;)

Scott Warren

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2009, 05:19:43 AM »
Is it true the tour has had to ask him to stop bringing strippers to tournaments?

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2009, 08:20:49 AM »
I admire the kid for what he said in an interview when asked what one course would he choose to play for the rest of his life - his response was that he would play the public course that he grew up on as that is where his friends are and that's when he really enjoys the game - playing it with his buddies: Isn't that what the game is all about.

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2009, 08:24:07 AM »
He's 23 and he would rather party and chase tail than learn about golf course architecture.

I would have a serious problem with him if it were any other way. He'll have plenty of time to learn the history of the game when he gets old (like us). We should all have his problems.
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

JC Jones

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2009, 08:37:57 AM »
While I certainly don't have an opinion on whether he should or shouldn't know who won the US Open at Congressional, I will say that it indicates, to me, his potential to be one of the greats.

I notice that the best of the best at any sport tend to know the history of their sport as well.  Look at Kobe Bryant, Payton Manning, etc.  They've studied the game so much that they know the great players of the past.  Tiger Woods knew every major Jack Nicklaus won, on every course, in every year.  So, I don't care if he knows history or doesn't but it does affect my opinion on whether I think he has a chance to be an all time great.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2009, 08:59:46 AM »

Golf IQ?

Anthony

Drew Standley

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2009, 09:35:35 AM »
I love the swashbuckling attitude of AK.  Golfers have lost their personality in the Tiger/Corporate era.  Give me more Don Cherry, Jimmy Demaret, and Doug Sanders to root for over these robots any day.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back