News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Burzynski

Harbor Shores, Michigan (Nicklaus)
« on: June 19, 2009, 12:05:51 AM »
http://www.wndu.com/localnews/headlines/48552952.html

For those interested, Harbor Shores (yet another Nicklaus design) will finally open this summer, at least 9 of 18 holes, with the other 9 holes scheduled to open next summer 2010.  The course will be opened to the public, with views of Lake Michigan on several holes.  The development has been quite controversial, both concerning environmental issues and issues with a park that abuts the course and Lake Michigan, so there have been lots of legal and governmental delays.

http://www.harborshoresdevelopment.com/

To be honest, I don't know much about the course or holes itself, other than I heard 3-5 holes will border the Lake directly.

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Harbor Shores, Michigan (Nicklaus)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 10:44:13 AM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 10:52:47 AM »
I didn't really understand the development issue.  It was master planned as an 800-unit development with two hotels, but it's all owned by three community non-profit organizations?  Is that correct?

Steve Lang

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 10:55:44 AM »
 8) Wonder what the Bay Harbor folks think about Harbor Shores claiming to be the best on Lake Michigan?

Not sure these words are the wisest, but wish them well:

"Harbor Shores is not a cure-all for all the ills we've got," said Benton Harbor Mayor Wilce Cooke. "But it's an anchor for going forward."

THey should at least charge the kids something to play.. we used to have to pay 50 - 75 cents to play before 10am.  One lawn cutting and I was good for a week..
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 11:26:14 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 11:11:22 AM »
I posted a bunch of pictures a few weeks ago...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 11:16:31 AM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 11:18:20 AM »
Tom, that's what the article says.  Evidently, any profits  (from operations/sales of RE) - after expenses, would have to be distributed to maintain their tax-free status.  It sounds like those funds would go to community groups, etc.  I wonder the Property Tax is figured?  Foundations can dole out $$$ to whomever they please but Prop. Taxes usually go to schools. libraries, parks and n some cases local gov.  Does anyone know if this is exempt? Or will it have to pay PT on the golf course - or is the golf course land owned by the municipality?

Steve - probably the same as Herb Kohler and the Shore Acres members (asssumng the SA memebers even care).
Coasting is a downhill process

Greg Tallman

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 12:17:33 PM »
I didn't really understand the development issue.  It was master planned as an 800-unit development with two hotels, but it's all owned by three community non-profit organizations?  Is that correct?

Large development, 2 hotels, golf facility... yep sounds like a non-profit idea these days!  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back