News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Emil Weber

Re: Where to Play in Australia
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 08:42:27 AM »
I'm sorry that I can't help you Ian, but I'll take the chance to ask the Australians among us what to play in Brisbane. I know that Melbourne is by far the best golf city in Australia (if not world) but I'm afraid I will spent  the next 6 months of my life in Brisbane! Besides Royal Queensland and maybe Brookwater, are there any hidden gems you could recommend?

Josh Stevens

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 10:49:31 AM »
It is a pity you have so little time, it is clearly a big place.  Perth is too far of course, but the new work at Karrinyup is rather nice, especially if you were familiar with what it replaced - but little else over there of sufficient merit to warrant the trip.

Adelaide however is worthwhile in my view - not only a lovely town and some super wine, but RA and Kooyonga are worth a look - two very contrasting styles with Kooyonga i think being the more interesting and a good study (much like KH) of how to jam a lovely course into a tiny patch of land.
There's more to Perth than LK, Kennedy Bay, The Cut and Joondalup are all worth a look...but agreed that its a long way to come for those alone

Well i concede that Joondalup is interesting from an architectural point of view - if only as an fine example of that brief humpty dumpty phase the world went through a few decades ago

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 03:21:57 PM »
Emil,

There are no hidden gems in Brisbane.
Royal Queensland is the pick of the bunch there - and, as you say.Brookwater as well.

Richard Chamberlain

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 07:51:17 PM »
Ian and Brian,

Looking forward to meeting you guys on the tour.
Drop me a line if there are any other bits and pieces you need assistance with.

Clayts, are you attending this week long shindig or will that clash with the US Senior Tour Qualifying ?

Regards
Richard

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 10:00:18 PM »
I'm sorry that I can't help you Ian, but I'll take the chance to ask the Australians among us what to play in Brisbane. I know that Melbourne is by far the best golf city in Australia (if not world) but I'm afraid I will spent  the next 6 months of my life in Brisbane! Besides Royal Queensland and maybe Brookwater, are there any hidden gems you could recommend?

Emil

I haven't seen Royal Qld post Mike's refit - but it and Brookwater + Indooroopilly are probably the pick of the bunch around Brisbane.

You've then got the Sunshine Coast north and the Gold Coast to the south - both just over say an hour or so from Brisbane. Each region has a myriad of "resort style" courses to choose from.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM »
Richard,

I am half planning to play The Masters  which is around the same time- but I was not going to go. I am assuming we will all catch ip when it gets to Mekbourne.

rchesnut

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2009, 01:49:19 AM »
Do not skip Barnbougle, I've been to Ireland and Scotland, and Barnbougle still stands out to me as a spectacular place, great golf in a great setting.  It was a real highlight of my trip to Australia two years ago.   

Ian Andrew

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2009, 09:11:29 PM »
I'm not looking to revive this thread - but only want to say thank you. I have all the information and recommendations I need for my trip. It looks like I may get a chance to meet a few of you – and I’m really looking forward to that.

Thanks a lot,

Ian Andrew

Norbert P

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2009, 09:33:11 PM »
. . . I have all the information and recommendations I need for my trip.  . . .
Ian Andrew

Don't worry about which snakes are poisonous -- they all are.

Ratho Links in Bothwell, Tasmania. I believe the oldest golf course in the southern hemisphere. You may get to meet Greg Ramsay.The town is also home to the Australian Golf Museum.

Portsea GC and the Portsea Hotel should not be missed.
Peninsula, Dunes, Moonah (can't remember which one), St. Andrews Beach (tour), Woodlands, Barnbougle 1 + 2, . . . etc.  's'all good.

"Wonder why we ever go home" Jimmy Buffet
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2009, 01:18:59 PM »
Ian — You make a great travel agent! Thanks.

I am planning on this trip as well. Have not yet determined whether the extra days will work, but I cannot imagine NOT hanging around both prior and after for some extra golf and sights.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back