News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Best "second-shot" golf courses in the UK and abroad?
« on: June 21, 2009, 05:45:52 PM »
I was discussing the UK courses I have been fortunate to play so far with some GCAers the other day, and what we kind of settled on was that it appears I am a fan of "second shot" golf courses, rather than those that ask most of their sternest questions off the tee.

I'll throw Deal in there for starters. Royal Zoute and Trevose (both Colt tracks) also offered some awesome angles and most of their main points of interest on the second shots, combined with some room off the tee.

So what are the best second-shot golf courses in the UK and elsewhere in the world?

Which designers are the best exponents of this style of design?

Philip Spogard

Re: Best "second-shot" golf courses in the UK and abroad?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 06:29:34 PM »
I would say TOC is an obvious choice.

Mark_F

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 06:32:35 PM »
Scott,

Perhaps you could start by listing a few courses that ask more questions off the tee.

Because you'll have an awfully difficult time convincing me RCD is worse than any second shot course...

Portrush, though, may well be a near perfect example of one course that does both very well.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 08:23:41 PM »
What defines a great second-shot course?  Is it one that requires you to work the entire bag of irons and hybrids?  If so, Leatherstocking in Cooperstown, NY DOES NOT qualify in that respect, while Seven Oaks in Hamilton NY DOES qualify.  However, if you are looking for a course that presents different looks to the shots up the fairways (par fives) and into greens (par fours), then you would reverse things.  L is a Dev Emmet course from 1928 that hides pins in certain instances, forces left to right and right to left approaches in others, and betrays hole locations in the remainder.  Seven Oaks is an RTJ Sr. course that tells you "this is how to hit the tee ball to get to the only place for the second shot."

And off we go...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Cristian

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 08:32:06 PM »
I was discussing the UK courses I have been fortunate to play so far with some GCAers the other day, and what we kind of settled on was that it appears I am a fan of "second shot" golf courses, rather than those that ask most of their sternest questions off the tee.

I'll throw Deal in there for starters. Royal Zoute and Trevose (both Colt tracks) also offered some awesome angles and most of their main points of interest on the second shots, combined with some room off the tee.

So what are the best second-shot golf courses in the UK and elsewhere in the world?

Which designers are the best exponents of this style of design?

It is a great way of looking at courses; second shot vs tee shot quality. But it is hard to judge, isn't it? A really good second shot course will provide you with different options from different positions and distances from the green in the fairway. But that also means some positions on the fairway will then be more favourable than others, thus influencing tee-ball strategy. So in my book a really good second shot course, automatically becomes a very good tee-ball course, even if the t-shot seems generous or straight forward at first glance. The Old course is a great example as is any HS Colt course.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 04:24:31 AM by Cristian Willaert »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 08:13:43 AM »
I'm not suggesting it's the best, but Huntercombe has some of the most varied second shots of which I can think. I think you need a wide variety of lengths of two-shot holes, so maybe Lytham is worthy of thought. I suspect Ballybunion Old must be up for consideration.

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 09:12:08 AM »
I would say TOC is an obvious choice.

why ?

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 09:13:57 AM »
Scott,

Perhaps you could start by listing a few courses that ask more questions off the tee.

Because you'll have an awfully difficult time convincing me RCD is worse than any second shot course...

Portrush, though, may well be a near perfect example of one course that does both very well.

Mark

Funnily enough, I was thinking of Rosses Point, County Sligo which is another Colt course.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back