News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Sims

Golf course Aerials...Briggs Ranch
« on: June 18, 2009, 08:37:32 PM »
The Collective,

I was out in the block airspace just west of San Antonio today when I noticed a golf course.  This happens frequently, but this one caught my eye.  I saw a course that was very green, with fairly wide open playing areas and a nicely bunkered practice area in the middle.  I checked the chart and found I was over Hwy 90 heading north.  I came home and did the research.  Briggs Ranch. It's been mentioned about six times on this site in total.

I found two courses out there, one exceedingly greener and bigger than the other.  It's a Fazio, and private by the look of the site.  Does anyone know anything about this course?  I've never seen fairways quite that big from the air.  

I was also able to get a really good look of Norman and Dye's new layouts at TPC San Antonio.  Norman's course looks ready for play from a few thousand feet.  Dye's is still in grow in and looked to be in a muc younger state than Norman's. I noticed a green that resembles the 6th at Riviera, I also saw wide corridors and mucho undulation.  Does anyone know of a way that i could get out there and see what little construction is left?  I would love to see Dye's course in grow in.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 08:48:55 PM by Ben Sims »

Peter_Herreid

Re: Golf course Aerials...Biggs Ranch
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 08:41:40 PM »
Howdy Dell!

On behalf of the US Taxpayers, we beg you to keep your eyes on the dashboard, the warning lights, the guidance systems, the indicators and the horizon and NOT on Briggs Ranch :D :D ;D

Seriously, must be cool to see these things from that perspective.

Could you see any Lido holes from up there?

Trey Kemp

Re: Golf course Aerials...Briggs Ranch
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 09:51:48 PM »
Ben,

You were correct, Briggs Ranch was the course you saw north of hwy 90.  The course just to the south of it is The Golf Club of Texas (public).  I have played Briggs Ranch once and I really enjoyed it.  I have pictures that I can post if you would like.  It is one of my favorite Fazio courses and in my opinion one of the better courses in Texas. 
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Ben Sims

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 10:00:09 PM »
T Kemp,

Would love them!!  The course did look cool from way up, but then again, most golf courses do to me. I know I've bashed Fazio before, but maybe I was wrong about this particular one.

Ben Sims

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 10:08:02 PM »
By the way, here's what caught my eye at TPC San Antonio.

http://www.shark.com/design/course_detail.php?course_id=88#

Lou_Duran

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 09:30:31 AM »
Ben,

You were correct, Briggs Ranch was the course you saw north of hwy 90.  The course just to the south of it is The Golf Club of Texas (public).  I have played Briggs Ranch once and I really enjoyed it.  I have pictures that I can post if you would like.  It is one of my favorite Fazio courses and in my opinion one of the better courses in Texas.  

In full agreement, along with Dallas National and Escondido.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 09:32:26 AM by Lou_Duran »

Trey Kemp

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 10:08:42 AM »
Here are a few pics:

twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 10:11:21 AM »
I thought it was a nice course, but didn't enjoy it as much as those posting above.  I have a few more photos that I could add when I return to Houston.  I really enjoyed the practice facility.  One of the best I have seen.

Trey Kemp

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 10:13:54 AM »
Sorry about the pics, it is cutting off the right side of the pictures.  If anyone knows how to fix this let me know.
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 10:46:01 AM »
Trey,

Its a left wing conspiracy!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ben Sims

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 04:45:44 PM »
T Kemp,

Just got in from another flight directly above Briggs.  I was at a much lower altitude today and thoroughly enjoyed my time over that course.  I was on an evaluation checkride (definitely not a good week for it, I'm still on the Ballyneal hangover) and I heard the evaluator chuckle several times when I would purposely finish in an angle that allowed further golf examination.  He debriefed me to stop researching golf when flying. ;D

Thanks so much for the pictures.  I am actually impressed by some of the visuals, and the angles look decidedly fun to play.  I wish there was more information regarding the course, because it does look compelling. 

Ken Moum

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 12:42:43 AM »
T Kemp,

Just got in from another flight directly above Briggs.  I was at a much lower altitude today and thoroughly enjoyed my time over that course.  I was on an evaluation checkride (definitely not a good week for it, I'm still on the Ballyneal hangover) and I heard the evaluator chuckle several times when I would purposely finish in an angle that allowed further golf examination.  He debriefed me to stop researching golf when flying. ;D

Thanks so much for the pictures.  I am actually impressed by some of the visuals, and the angles look decidedly fun to play.  I wish there was more information regarding the course, because it does look compelling. 

Factoids about BR.

They sodded the whole thing.. only the roughs were seeded.

The maintenence facility is a replica of the Alamo, because it is visible from some housing near the course.

The practice tee is one acre of level turf. and the target greens on the range have bunkers around them

Like most golfers, I like courses that I scored well on, so I enjoyed the heck out of shooting 75 on it. My first, and only, Fazio.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Drew Standley

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 12:24:55 AM »
I have played the course several times and while I am impressed with the Zoysia sod and practice areas, the course doesn't deserve to be ranked as highly as it is. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back