News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

If you will recall, Cavendish has fared very well in these matchplay scenarios, not losing a match in four gos.  I have been stuck on three way ties so added a 4th venue the last match only to see the three way tie carry on.  Now we add Broadstone to the mix.   

#1.  C's opener hasn't changed, short and to the point except for trees compromise the proper strategy of the hole.  BD's opener is an in your face short par 4 played over a quarry then to a huge blind green which slopes hard right.  N&P's also starts with a short par 4 where we get an early view of the dreaded caravan park.  The hole though is quite good.  Broadstone's par 5 opener isn't in the mix, but it does feature a cool bunker.  NO BLOOD

Broadstone

#2. C's short 4 comes straight back near the first tee.  The green imaginatively slopes right.  BD's banger par 4 is a reverse dogleg which is overly constricted by trees/rough up the left, but an excellent hole regardess.  N&P is stuck in doldrums with a very dull par 5. Broadstone again doesn't feature well.

1 SKIN TO BEAU DESERT

#3. BD's short hole is very clever moving away from the tee, yet the green gives the appearance of being back to front.  C's short par 4 is excellent and these days it will take some control on the part of flat bellies not to run through the green with the drive. N&P's short isn't bad, but nearly of the quality of BD's.  The slow start for Broadstone continues.  Being a fan of clever short 4s, I have to side with Cavendish.

1 SKIN TO CAVENDISH

#4. C's par 3 is a drop-shotter to skinny green, not bad, but no great shakes.  BD's short par 4 is blind from the tee and moves deceptively hard right to a green set below the fairway...awkward hole indeed.  N&P is still groping around for form with a very so-so par 4.  Broadstone's 4th swings right and is a better effort than the opening three holes, but still nothing to speak of.

1 SKIN TO BEAU DESERT

#5. BD's par 4 swinging downhill and left then uphill is excellent.  C's long par 4 is very good as well, but lacking the character of BD's effort.  N&P comes alive with a cool green for its par 4.  Broadstone continues to improve withs its short 4.  I can't pick a winner between BD and N&P.  NO BLOOD.

Broadstone

#6. BD's modest par 4 plays straight downhill to a very tricky canted green.  C's par 4 is rather dull despite a very good green. N&P's par 4 plays awkwardly around OOB left then to a pulpit green which is very cool.  Broadstone's uphill short hole is good, but no match for N&P. 

1 SKIN TO NARIN & PORTNOO

#7. N&P's knob to knob par 3 requires sharp flight control.  Far less dramatic, but perhaps more fun, BD's redan-like par 3 is comfortably the better design.  C's par 4 isn't really in the conversation.  Broadstone well and truly turns up with a magnificent hole.  Semi-blind over a brow then the second must carry a deep dip.  The green isn't what it should be, but this is a terrific hole.

1 SKIN TO BROADSTONE

#8. BD's tight legger left is saved to some degree by a good green.  N&P's short and sharply downhill par 4 is the thing of dreams...a very fine hole.  Cavendish gives a good offering as does Broadstone's short hole, but N&P wins the day by some margin.

#9. N&P comes right back with another rollicking hole.  Playing over an abrupt crest to a green set well below...this is awesome stuff.  BD's 9th is a great short par 4 which is ever so tempting to have a go at.  The green too is excellent!. C's par 3 is a bit of a dog's dinner visually, but the hole ain't bad.  Broadstone doesn't feature. I have to go with the raw golf here...

#10. N&P's par 5 swinging right and diving to a green squeezed by dunes is very good stuff.  BD's 10th is a crafty short hole which produces far more bogies than the card suggests it should.   Broadstone's uphill par4 is a good.  C's awesome 10th, however, is All-England and takes the prize....as it has done for several matches now. 

1 SKIN TO CAVENDISH

#11. C backs up the 10th with another good hole using the same water, though the drive is a bit obscured for such a dangerous shot. N&P's par 3 to the boundary is very good as well, as is BD's longish par 4 with a severely tilted green.   Broadstones mangled Redan is good, but no better than the others. This one is too close to call; NO BLOOD.

#12. C's modest par 4 features a killer green running away from play.  N&P is in the doldrums with this hole and the next.  BD's long par 4 double legs between trees, the sort of hole I usually don't care for.  However, I do like that if one can curb the urge to hit driver, its possible to lay-up then play over the trees protecting the second leg.  However, Broadstone's par 4 climbs uphill and is a tough bugger.  I think BD with its unusual double dogleg takes this one.

1 SKIN TO BEAU DESERT

#13. BD's medium length par 4 plays downhill with the green following suit.  C's par 3 is a marvelous take on the Redan playing much more uphill then the orginal.  N&P....doldrums.  Broadstone shoots back into the picture with an awesome long par 4.  The green is set out on a sort of peninsula.

1 SKIN TO BROADSTONE

#14. C's par 5 bending around a wall is a very clever way to make a flat hole interesting.  BD's par 4 is superb.  The approach is very obscured to a difficult and rather large green. N&P's par 5 moving to the left is good, but a bit tight.  Broadstone continues its excellence with a lovely down n' up par 4.  Broadstone wins the beauty stakes, but there is nothing between it and C and BD.  NO BLOOD.

Broadstone

After 14 holes the match stands at

Beau Desert: 3 Skins- 2, 4 & 12

Cavendish: 2 skins - 3 & 10

Narin & Portnoo: 3 skins - 6, 8 & 9

Broadstone: 2 skins - 7 & 13

No blood: 1, 5, 11 & 14

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 03:17:28 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Neil White

Re: MATCH IX: Cavendish V Narin & Portnoo V Beau Desert V Broadstone
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 02:46:14 PM »
Surprised you don't feel Beau's wonderful fifth green as enough to tip the scales in its favour?

Sean_A

Re: MATCH IX: Cavendish V Narin & Portnoo V Beau Desert V Broadstone New
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 03:38:20 AM »
Speed

I admire BD's 5th a load, but the same is true of N&P. 

#15. C's Eden par 3 is a cracker even when many will be hitting wedges.  The slope and angle of the green combined with the front bunker is a masterclass in designing a do or don't die short hole.  N&P's par 5 comes back toward the house along the shore and finishes with a good green.  BD's 15th is a tiger par 5 with one of the most interesting greens in England...due to subsidence.  The drive is cut off by rough ground making it difficult for those with the length to have a go in two.  Laying up leaves a blind second to a fairway which isn't much more wide than the green.  Broadstone's drop shot short hole is okay.  I previously gave this hole to BD, but today I think its a draw with C...that green too is fascinating.  NO BLOOD

Beau Desert

#16. BD's uphill par 3 over a cross bunker to yet another difficult green is stellar.  N&P gives us a good par 3, but not to the standard of BD's.  C's par 4 is difficult to like, but the hole is quite good even if a bit chancy due to the severe downhill nature of the approach.  Broadstone gives us a sneaky good par 4 which doesn't look special.  The greenside bunkering is particularly good.  I can't call a winner here.  NO BLOOD

#17. BD's longish par 4 is made more difficult by rough ground breaking up the fairway.  The green too is huge with a pronounced right to left slope.  C's par 3 is good and quite clever.  Broadstone moves into the doldrums for the finish.  N&P's par 4 over an elephant's graveyard to a green sloping away from play is simply too original not to proclaim the winner.

#18.  N&P's legger right is a good, solid hole.  BD's par 5 plays over not one, but two breaks in the fairway to an absolutely huge green that is very interestng to putt.  Mediocre at best for Broadstone.  C's home hole is an epic of the hilly variety over hilly terrain. Perhaps the best feature is a large dip which will often catch drives and leave an awkward approach.

1 SKIN TO CAVENDISH

Beau Desert: 3 Skins- 2, 4 & 12

Cavendish: 3 skins - 3, 10 & 18

Narin & Portnoo: 4 skins - 6, 8, 9 & 17

Broadstone: 2 skins - 7 & 13

No blood: 1, 5, 11, 14 & 16

I am not surprised at the outcome because Narin & Portnoo has some very high highs, even if I don't think the course hangs together as well as Cavendish or Beau Desert.  For some reason, despite some terrific holes, Broadstone is not as good as I think it should be.  Be that as it may, Cavendish goes down and N&P moves on. 

Next match....N&P VS Portsalon VS Crosland Heath

Previous Matches

Match VIII:Cavendish V Narin & Portnoo V Beau Desert V Carnoustie Burnside
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63990.msg1525230.html#msg1525230

Match VII: Beau Desert V Cavendish V Narin & Portnoo
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63838.msg1519815.html#msg1519815

Match VI: Cavendish V Littlestone V Rosapenna OTM
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63756.0.html

Match V: Cavendish V Prestbury V Liphook
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63743.msg1518020.html#msg1518020

Match IV: Kington V Huntercombe V Cavendish
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63725.msg1517854.html#msg1517854

Match III: Kington V New Zealand V Huntercombe
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63708.0.html

Match II: Cleeve Cloud V Royal Ashdown Forest V Kington
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63674.0.html

Match I: Minch Old V Painswick V Cleeve Cloud
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63660.0.html

Cia
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 03:04:46 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back