News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shamleffer

Amateur Championship (& 1987 U.S. Women's Open)
« on: June 19, 2009, 09:55:03 AM »
How come no mention of the Amateur Championship underway this week?  Is anyone on this site attending?  Any details to provide per the host course, Formby Golf Club?  Golfweek is providing a blog from the tournament, otherwise almost no mention in the U.S. sports press, not even on Golfobserver.com.

Also, did the USGA use to grant a full exemption to the current British Amateur champion?  I see that currently that title only grants exemption from Local Qualifying.

On a side note, does anyone remember the 1987 U.S. Women’s Open that went all the way to Tuesday?  Regulation play was not completed until Monday, and then Laurie Davies won the 18 hole playoff on Tuesday.  I remember watching the Tuesday playoff on ABC from the small TV in the bag room that I was working in that summer.

We may get another U.S. Open being played till Tuesday.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:11:07 AM by Bill Shamleffer »
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Brent Hutto

Re: Amateur Championship (& 1987 U.S. Women's Open)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 10:06:57 AM »
I've played golf at Formby.

I've watched the Amateur.

I wish I were watching the amateur at Formby right now. Unfortunately, it's just another Friday sitting at work. Pity.

Andrew Mitchell

Re: Amateur Championship (& 1987 U.S. Women's Open)
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 05:45:17 PM »
One of the players from my club didn't get through qualifying at Formby & West Lancashire.  He said both courses were in great conditions and playing fast.

There is little media coverage here in the UK, I've been following it through the R&A website.

The winner gets automatic entry into the Open and the Masters, not sure about the US Open.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

David_Tepper

Re: Amateur Championship (& 1987 U.S. Women's Open) New
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 05:51:09 PM »
Article from the Herald (out of Glasgow) on the "Shamateur Championship"

http://www.theherald.co.uk/search/display.var.2514598.0.shamateur_championship_simply_a_staging_post.php

Article from the Press & Journal (out of Aberdeen).

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1261989
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 06:22:14 PM by David_Tepper »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back