News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Re: What are the "Must Play" Palmer courses?
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2009, 09:26:59 AM »
While I would not consider it a must play - Deacon's Lodge in Minnesota is the best I have played in an incredible setting.  I found this photo tour from a Google search:

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/1025451112000239304RybukPTUmo

I agree, excellent topography, I would recommend this course
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2009, 10:25:50 AM »
While I would not consider it a must play - Deacon's Lodge in Minnesota is the best I have played in an incredible setting.  I found this photo tour from a Google search:

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/1025451112000239304RybukPTUmo

I agree, excellent topography, I would recommend this course

I'd recommend it too if in the area. It's quite playable as long as you can make the several forced carries. If you can't, I'd move up a set of tees on those particular holes.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2009, 11:41:12 AM »
...the par 3 17th hole is in fact one of the best holes I have ever played.  It's incredibly hard to hit the green, let alone get the ball in the hole in 3 strokes or less and the view and sense of place captures the "low country" in an incredible manner.

Here is a great look at the 17th at Old Tabby. Great hole!!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2009, 11:54:19 AM »
Check out the video tour of Old Tabby on their website... love the narrator's voice!

http://www.springisland-sc.com/golf.aspx
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2009, 01:05:10 PM »
...the par 3 17th hole is in fact one of the best holes I have ever played.  It's incredibly hard to hit the green, let alone get the ball in the hole in 3 strokes or less and the view and sense of place captures the "low country" in an incredible manner.

Here is a great look at the 17th at Old Tabby. Great hole!!!

What's so great about it other than it being "incredibly hard to hit the green?" Remember, anyone can create a difficult hole. As a matter of fact, as a rank amateur in the design contest on this website last year that finished last, I was criticized for making my holes too difficult, specifically holes that would be hard to get the ball on the green.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill Kubly

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2009, 07:43:19 PM »
Bayley,

The Mountain course at the La Quinta resort is considered the best of the La Quinta Resort courses and is much like some of the other Palm Desert area courses.  The La Quinta Country Club is not part of the resort and is also considered a very good course and is the course that is in the Bob Hope Classic rotation.  Of the Bob Hope courses, the tour players consider it the hardest to play.  It is a fairly typical older Desert course with homes on many holes and many perched greens that are heavily bunkered.

You mention PGA West as a La Quinta resort course, but it is part of the PGA West  system of courses which includes 6 courses including a Norman, a Pete Dye, The Palmer, the Nicklaus Private, the Nicklaus Tounament and the Weiskopf Course  The Dye, PGA West, Stadium course is the toughest one, but has been softened a little in the past few years to attact more play.  The Palmer course at PGA West is in the normal rotation of the Hope Classic and the Nicklaus Private was also included in the Hope rotation for the first time in the 2009 tournament. The Palmer course has some interesting holes including the par 5 finishing hole that most reach in two these days....makes for excitement on Sunday of the Hope.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2009, 07:53:32 PM »
Bill,

From the La Quinta Resort webpage

Our Legendary Palm Springs Golf Resort Courses
La Quinta Resort and PGA WEST together offer guests with challenging play on five resort courses designed by golf legends Pete Dye, Jack Nicklaus and Greg Norman. Known as the Western Home of Golf and Hospitality in America, this world renowned destination is the perfect destination for Greater Palm Springs golf vacations. Whether for golf groups or players of all skill levels, this impressive Palm Springs golf resort offers extraordinary play.

The resort is also home to the Jim McLean Golf School, the #1 Golf School in America. Their top position in the golf school industry has been recognized by US News and World Report, CNN and Travel & Leisure Magazine.

* La Quinta Resort Mountain Course, famous for its unique design and stunning visuals, this challenging layout is ranked among Golf Magazine's "Top 100 Courses You Can Play"
    * La Quinta Resort Dunes Course, this Pete Dye-designed course provides a relaxing round of golf surrounded by dramatic landscapes
    * PGA WEST Stadium Golf® Course, ranked among Golf Magazine´s "Top 100 Courses You Can Play," this Pete Dye jewel is described as a "must play" for all who seek the ultimate challenge
    * PGA WEST® Jack Nicklaus Tournament Course, this course combines dramatic backdrops with challenging design to leave a lasting impression on golfers of every level
    * PGA WEST® Greg Norman Course, spectacular desert terrain with limited turf gives players a unique and challenging experience
Now that we have settled what courses come with the La Quinta Resort, I repeat my question (reworded). How is The Tradition by Palmer as good as or better than The Mountain Course and PGA West.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill Kubly

« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2009, 07:38:23 PM »
 Bayley,

The La Quinta Resort and PGA West are at two separate locations, probably 4 miles apart, so I was unaware that they were marketing them together.  They are owned by the same company and both are original Landmark Land golf courses.  The new management at The Resort has done a very good job trying to position their courses as some of the best daily fee courses in this market. 

I would say the main advantages to The Tradition are that it is in great  condition and more variety in its holes including the elevation change and its proxcimity to the mountains as that I mentioned previously.  PGA West stadium is a course that was so difficult that many people only wanted to play it once as they were tired of being beat up.  That is why they have softened it somewhat.  The Mountain course was always the favorite when it was the "private" course at the resort and was tough to get on in the old days.  Due to its popularity, it was taken from private to resort when the courses changed ownership some years ago.

The overall site of the Tradition is also better which allowed for a better variety of golf holes.  Many of the holes on the "Resort" courses are not as memorable.  Since the Tradition is a private club, it is also in better condition, but under the new management and ownership at the Resort, they were in very good condition last season. 

My main feeling about The Tradition is that you can play it every day and not tire of the course.  This is an attribute that I feel is very important for a membership course.  Other than the 17th hole at The Tradition, the holes are not tricked up.  I can't say the same for some of the others. 

Most people that have played The Tradition on a regular basis would consider it a must play Palmer course......

Adam Clayman

« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2009, 12:12:13 AM »
Mr. Hendren, You are still extremely wrong about the fad aspect to having non-regularly shaped bunker edges. They are wonderful at Arbor links. I don't believe there were two identical. Sure, to the untrained eye maybe they all look the same. But being from the south, you should know how truly ignorant that statement is. Admittedly, not every design team gets them right.

Arbor Links was a special place. Definitely the best Palmer I have seen. The staff was above and beyond attentive and the whole place was understated elegance.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Matt_Ward

« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2009, 12:29:28 AM »
What's really mystifying is how little from AP that is really worth playing. If you add up the total number of courses mentioned on this thread and compare that to the total nmber of courses that AP is associated with it's truly mindboggling for the lack of a real high standard of layouts.

Think of the opportunities that AP has had presented to him and from that gigantic range of properties you get a very, very tiny number of courses that are at best worthy of a play but an even much smaller number that would mandate someone to go out of their way to play them.

Clearly, AP has helped developers sell home sites and the like -- but few people I know wake up and say, "I've got to play that new AP layout."

A pity indeed ...

mike_beene

« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2009, 12:30:30 AM »
It has been a long time,but Hapuna was one of my favorites on a big island whirlwind where we played 36 a day for a week.I was playing very well then so all of those courses are probably not as good as I recall.Isn't there some nice elevation,fescue,etc on that course?It is Palmer isn't it?

Robin Doodson

« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2009, 02:21:58 AM »
in my rather biased opinion, The Pines at Sanctuary Cove is certainly a must play course. Being the only Palmer signature course in Oz it is very highly regarded by the few people that get to play it. Ross Watson is currently doing a full re-build of the adjoining Palms course so it will certainly be worth a visit in 18 months time.

Sam Maryland

« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2009, 11:02:33 PM »
What's really mystifying is how little from AP that is really worth playing. If you add up the total number of courses mentioned on this thread and compare that to the total nmber of courses that AP is associated with it's truly mindboggling for the lack of a real high standard of layouts.

Think of the opportunities that AP has had presented to him and from that gigantic range of properties you get a very, very tiny number of courses that are at best worthy of a play but an even much smaller number that would mandate someone to go out of their way to play them.

Clearly, AP has helped developers sell home sites and the like -- but few people I know wake up and say, "I've got to play that new AP layout."

A pity indeed ...

I think you are onto something here...

Sean_A

« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2009, 12:58:32 PM »
This thread doesn't give me a lot of confidence in Palmer.  What, two courses and maybe two or three other honourable mentions one of which I have played and I wouldn't consider it anywhere near a must see. 

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back