News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

Re: The solo dawn patrol experience
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2009, 08:41:37 AM »
Niall

Blind eyes are not in the Mission statement, either.  They don't have gatekeepers at 4am, but they do have the green staff out early, and they are under orders to chase off anybody out on the course before 7am.

As for the Burghfield, it is a place I knew far too well, once spending ~111 consecutive nights there (summer of 1981).  The locals never had to ply the guests with drinks, in fct it was if anything more the other way around and there were few if any locals who could match the plus handicap drinking guests, of whom there were always more than a few in residence.  In my experience, it was  also almost always the guests who went out for the sunrise games of golf.  Two Burghfield Guests/RDGC Members/good friends of mine once pleasantly surprised the butcher's wife out walking her dog on the 1st hole by ambling down the fairway at 5am carrying their clubs but wearing nothing but their golf shoes.  As the club history says, "they were severly reprimanded."  Today they would probably be drawn and quartered.......

Rich

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2009, 10:20:40 AM »
Gosh I can't even remember the last time I got to be the first one out in the morning.  I guess I did it last year at Rock Creek, but since the course was not open yet and I was the only golfer of the day, not sure that counts.

I used to do that a lot when I was getting around in college ... I've been first off the tee by myself at Muirfield, St. Andrews, Cypress Point, San Francisco Golf Club, and Seminole, not to name-drop or anything.

I also played my best 4 rounds of golf ever on my home course (Sterling Farms) after coming home from my sophomore year at Cornell.  I had been pulling all-nighters to finish studio projects, so my first week home I went to the golf course at 5 a.m. and played the front nine and paid my green fee at the turn.  Between having no distractions and being kind of tired (from staying up all night) I was in a weird kind of "zone" and I knew that course inside-out ... I made a lot of birdies that week. 

But the fifth day, when I went to pay at the turn, they told me it was ladies' day and I couldn't play until noon.  I said I had already finished nine holes; didn't matter.  I told the starter I'd shot three under on the front; he said rules were rules.  And I don't think I ever played Sterling Farms again!

Doug Wright

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 11:28:17 AM »
I used to do that a lot when I was getting around in college ... I've been first off the tee by myself at Muirfield, St. Andrews, Cypress Point, San Francisco Golf Club, and Seminole, not to name-drop or anything.

Not to name-drop or anything... very funny Tom!  ;)

I fell in love with golf at age 12 being first off by myself on a little 9 hole course in Allegany, New York after riding my bike to the course with my clubs on the handlebars.  A blissful experience--me, the neighboring cows (on 3 sides of the course) and a mustachioed greenskeeper who would ride around with that long wooden whip to wipe the dew off the greens. Often there was ground fog at the start, and the sun lifting the fog away was magical.

Not at dawn, but playing holes 37-45 solo at Ballyneal Monday with no one else on the front nine was pretty magical too.   
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2009, 11:29:49 AM »
While I have done the solo dawn patrol on several nice courses, that's all during travels.  I am not a morning person.  I am much more familiar with the dusk patrol.  Many, many times I am the only one on the course late in the day, often the only car in the parking lot by the time I finish.  Just yesterday, I had to wait too long for my lost clubs to be delivered by the airline (2 different delivery guys getting lost on major roads....shouldn't they be at least a little familiar with the area?), so I didn't get to my home course until 6:15.  Teed off at 6:22, and finished in the nearly dark at 8:39, even with having to wait on the last 3 holes of the front nine.  I don't think the people dining on the back porch could even see my ball land on 18 green.  Did have to hustle a bit, though, since my course has a few long walks.

Because of this timing, I rarely get to post scores the day I play.  The pro shop is always long since closed by the time I finish.

Dan King

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2009, 01:27:52 PM »
Rich Goodale writes:
You will be displeased to know that this practice is now verboten at Dornoch.  The encouragement of spiritual experiences is no longer a part of their Mission Statement.

Yeah, I've been back to Dornoch a few times since then and never been allowed to recreate that first-time experience.

It's a pity.

But that first time to Dornoch made me appreciate the times I could play golf by myself. Golf is a social game and I've made more than my fair share of friends through the game. But occasionally playing all by yourself can give you a different appreciation for aspects of the game. I've found solo golf is much less about the score, much more about the shots made. You aren't out there to be judged or to impress others, it is just you and the course.

I remember initially worrying what would I do if I got a hole-in-one -- would anyone believe me? But it never happened and it now sounds like a really silly reason to avoid solo golf.

Cheers,
Dan King
It was a morning when all nature shouted "Fore!". The breeze, as it blew gently up from the valley, seemed to bring a message of hope and cheer, whispering of chip shots holed and brassies landing squarely on the meat. The fairway, as yet unscarred by the irons of a hundred dubs, smiled greenly up at the azure sky.
 --P.G. Wodehouse (Heart of a Goof)

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2009, 02:08:47 PM »
Back in 1993 I wrote a book about all 83 courses then in Cheshire. I played every one, almost all of them at 6am, because I still had a 9-5 job at that time. I had written to each of the clubs to obtain permission and all but a handful gave me courtesy of the course, which was very generous of them. I began in April and finished about the end of September. It was a great experience. Possibly the best moments were being out when deer or foxes were out and about. And, with the low angle of the sun I got many good photos. I did not play every single hole - there were one or two occasions when I would have been driving off directly into the low sun with a road or housing to be hit if I sliced or hooked the ball a little. There are now over 100 courses in Cheshire, but I am not aware of anything of architectural interest having been added to the collection.

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2009, 02:36:03 PM »
I was in Chicago for a wedding back in 1997 (the weekend Tyson bit off Holyfield's ear).  It was one of those
strange weddings where everyone I knew from school seemed to come stag.  We stayed at a strange little
golf resort called Pheasant Run.  I wasn't fancy or upscale by any means.  The night before we played until
dark all the time watching a little guy chase behind us putting roller base sprinklers on the greens.  Rehearsal
dinner, drinks and debauchery followed and suddenly it was 5:30 Saturday morning.  There were five of us and
we drew cards to see who didn't get to run out on the course.  We teed off at 5:45 AM with barely enough
light to see.  Suddenly this little goat track was a magical place with shadows and birds and mowers cutting
in the distance.  The same sprinkler guy from the night before was out pulling the roller bases back in.  He
looked at us and just laughed.

It was a great time.  ANY golf course is a wonderful place at dawn.  Whenever I get the chance I get to the
club before sunrise, walk out on the back porch and just enjoy being in this wonderful business.  Great post
and thanks for sharing!

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2009, 04:20:30 PM »
I was second out at Torrey Pines North last year.  Not the most inspiring course in the world, but the heavy fog made visibility less than 100 feet.  The group ahead would signal "Green clear" to let us know when we could hit our approach shots.  Fortunately the first few holes are pretty straight, so you'd hit between the two rows of trees, and then look to see where it had gone when you got up to the green. It was almost mystical, plus the dense fog made it useless for me to look up early. I played well, until the fog lifted.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2009, 04:39:04 PM »
I also once played a course new to me in the mist. It was Rowany on the Isle of Man. I dare say I should have been far less successful had I played it in bright sunshine. I really concentrated on where the holes might be going, exactly what length I might expect my next shot to be and so on. Fortunately the mist had lifted when I got to the really difficult holes in the middle of the round. There was one hole, a par 3 played from a cliff top down to a low-set green over a sea of gorse. There was a signpost at the top directing golfers down to the green according to the degree of difficulty of the descent!

Carl Rogers

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2009, 07:44:07 PM »
The Riverfront Golf Association typically starts at 6:57 AM, a little early for me ... I am a bit of a reptile, need a few hours to heat to get going.  The fourth hole is terrifc.

Last October, at Beechtree (RIP), Scott Weersing and I rode around for an hour very early waiting on a frost delay ... enjoyed that as much as the 36 holes that day.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 07:54:36 PM by Carl Rogers »

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2009, 09:13:21 PM »
I do quite enjoy playing Stone Eagle first off at 7:30 in the morning before all the members get there, especially during the middle of the winter when we get some snow on the surrounding mountains.  Here is a good picture I took when I played the first morning in the desert with snow on the mountains; it doesn't happen too often so you must take advantage of it.

Ben Sims

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2009, 10:02:42 PM »
Peter,

It was quite the experience to drive my old Chevy into the parking lot at Stone Eagle to play that morning.  I was all by myself except for the valet guys and the two of us.  Until I drove back down the hill and saw my Silverado flanked by a 911 Cabriolet and a BMW 650 convertible!!

Not to hijack.  But I had an otherworldly experience watching the sun go down by myself on the peninsula green at "The Ranch" this past April up in Bandon.  It reminds me a lot of what you guys are talking about.

Mark Woodger

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2009, 10:55:37 PM »
I was first off at the ocean course at kiawah last summer. It was delightful and i shot my best ever score. Not feeling pressured by the group behind or held up the group in front meant we had a good tempo and this only increased our enjoyment and without question our scores. I think the highlight was the 14th tee where there was nothing in view except the beach and the course.

I am looking to do the same at Deal for a couple of midweek rounds next month. 

Jason Topp

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2009, 11:05:54 PM »
My course is usually deserted in the evening. I find that experience as magical as the morning with the added bonus that you do not have to get up early.

James Boon

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2009, 03:57:06 AM »
Golf, first thing in the morning before anyone else is on the course, really sets up a great day! I love it!

When I am on holiday with my wife, I will often play golf at courses as the first one to tee off, this means I can get back just as my wife is getting out of bed in time for a spot of brunch, still leaving us the rest of the day to do the tourist thing. I've been lucky enough to be first off on my own at places like Baltray and Brancaster amongst others, in this way, which really makes the experience magical!

The pictures I posted for a photo thread on Painswick last year where taken after a 6am tee off, which still meant I got to my 10am meeting up the road with plenty of time to spare 8)

The only problem I find with early morning solo golf, or late evening solo golf for that matter, is that its such a nice relaxed way to play that I will often shoot such good scores. The problem with this is that it makes playing at a normal time to my normal standard, so frustrating!!!  ;D

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Niall C

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2009, 06:35:18 AM »
My course is usually deserted in the evening. I find that experience as magical as the morning with the added bonus that you do not have to get up early.

Jason

I completely agree, when I lived in Cumbria and Silloth was my home course I used to get there early evening after work. Not only was the course quiet but it had the double advantage of the winds having calmed down a bit (usually) and that with the sun going down it threw some incredible shadows across the course and made you appreciate the contours even more.

Having said all that, it reminds me that i've got a trip to Silloth to organise.

Niall

Ted Kramer

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2009, 07:59:30 AM »
Having lived a few minutes from Lido on LI for a few years after college, I've played a ton of rounds out there in the early morning. There was a stretch of time during one of those summers that the concord fly would overhead during the early part of those rounds. Now I don't know if the plane was traveling at super-sonic speeds or not, but I'll tell you this . . .

Having the relative silence of a gorgoues summer morning broken by the concord flying over head during sunrise is an "image" I hope I don't ever forget . . .

If the golf course, sitting right along the bay about a mile or so from the ocean, and mother nature in all of her splendor in the early morning hours didn't overwhelm you - the sounds and sight of that airplane surely would have. It was an interesting, and in my opinion, beautiful contrast.

-Ted

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2009, 08:14:31 AM »
Having lived a few minutes from Lido on LI for a few years after college, I've played a ton of rounds out there in the early morning. There was a stretch of time during one of those summers that the concord fly would overhead during the early part of those rounds. Now I don't know if the plane was traveling at super-sonic speeds or not, but I'll tell you this . . .

Having the relative silence of a gorgoues summer morning broken by the concord flying over head during sunrise is an "image" I hope I don't ever forget . . .

If the golf course, sitting right along the bay about a mile or so from the ocean, and mother nature in all of her splendor in the early morning hours didn't overwhelm you - the sounds and sight of that airplane surely would have. It was an interesting, and in my opinion, beautiful contrast.

-Ted

That is most likely the only time one can finish a round at Lido Beach on time is if they are one of the first people out!!! ;D

Chris

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2009, 09:07:11 AM »
I love being the first one out and do it as often as posible. Was the first out at the Wolf Course at the Las Vegas Paiute last week and did the same at Sugarloaf in Florida about a month ago. One of my all time favorites was having Walton Heath to myself at daybreak.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back