News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Chapman

Golf in Pittsburgh, and questions about Oakmont
« on: June 15, 2009, 04:31:42 PM »
Gents -- Just wondered if anyone could give me a "public" option in Pittsburgh. I'll be back seeing my wife's side of the family at the end of July. A little drive is no big deal.

Also, can I see Oakmont from the road? I'd love to drive by and take a look, but looking at google maps it looks like you can't see much. Also does anyone know the evolution of the golf course from when the turnpike was built. I assume it always been like it is, but can't believe that great course is separated by the huge road!

Thanks, in advance.

Bill_McBride

Re: Golf in Pittsburgh, and questions about Oakmont
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 04:46:36 PM »
You definitely can't see Oakmont from the Interstate!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 04:50:08 PM »
Is that really Tony's signature?  If so, I'm changing mine from Ritchie Valens' imperfect Spanish to the Chirp I received today from God.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 04:53:39 PM »
Is that really Tony's signature?  If so, I'm changing mine from Ritchie Valens' imperfect Spanish to the Chirp I received today from God.

I'm confused.....

Lenny Polakoff

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 05:07:16 PM »
Tony,

You can also drive into Oakmont and look around.  Unless things have changed, there is no gate.  It is a special place to see.
There are some good public options in and around pittsburgh.   If you are willing to drive a bit, Mystic Rock is really good.  Quicksilver is another one, they play a nationwide event there i believe.

Good luck
Lenny

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 10:48:49 PM »
Do yourself a favor and drive 5 hours to Philly. Take out 50 buck from your ATM and head to Paxon Country Club. That is if you want to play a course that is much better than.... o hell, lets say, Seminole. I only say this because I can not recommend a public option in Pittsburgh worth the time. And Paxon CC is the most underrated golf course in the world. And it is superior to Seminole.

I am not joking.

Kyle Harris

Re: Golf in Pittsburgh, and questions about Oakmont New
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 10:56:25 PM »
Do yourself a favor and drive 5 hours to Philly. Take out 50 buck from your ATM and head to Paxon Country Club. That is if you want to play a course that is much better than.... o hell, lets say, Seminole. I only say this because I can not recommend a public option in Pittsburgh worth the time. And Paxon CC is the most underrated golf course in the world. And it is superior to Seminole.

I am not joking.

Paxon Hollow CC, formerly White Manor CC now the Marple Twp muni.

Needless to say, Ryan loved his visit there today.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 06:05:22 AM by Kyle Harris »

mike_beene

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 10:59:39 PM »
It is worth pulling in the parking lot and walking to the golf shop.That will let you see around the clubhouse and I dont think they would mind.Two things struck me from that view:the open Murfield like view with the whole course in front of you,and how far down hill it is to the turnpike and how much uphill it goes past the turnpike.One of my favorite things about playing the course is running into other players on the bridge.I guess they haven't reopened the public play course Oakmont owns?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back