News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

7th at Pine Valley .....it happened
« on: June 15, 2009, 10:28:55 AM »
 ;D :D ;)

After all these years the 7th  hole at Pine Valley , a hole famous for being the site of Hell's Half Acre"  has been hit in two.  This no doubt will be verified further as word leaks out but I have it from fairly impeccable sources that a young golfer from the West Coast hit , and held the seventh.  The 7th has long been on the list of "untouchables"  par fives never hit in two , but has been the subject of debate on this site as many of us thought this was very reachable , even with the old equipment !

As I had a bet with JES on this very event occurring ,  I am ecstatic!  However on further review my prediction may have been time sensitive , and will once again cost me .

Needless to say , quite a feat ,  though expected by those in the know  LOL !
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 10:37:42 AM by archie_struthers »

JESII

Re: 7th at Pine Valley .....it happened
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 10:33:05 AM »
I remember the bet, but not the exact time constraint...considering I would have given through the end of the decade at a minimum, you'll be the winner of these drinks...who was it?

archie_struthers

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 10:44:35 AM »
 ??? ??? ???

Question not yet answered , guests from Cypress  ,  a group of good young players .  Early reports indicate that he hit two four woods but will get more info over the next 24 hours .......but not from Carbone LOL!   

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 11:24:34 AM »
which tees?

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 11:26:28 AM »
As Judge Smales used to say....

"Spaulding!!!!!"

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 11:30:14 AM »

"Spaulding!!!!!"

Great guess!  But I can tell you it was NOT he.  He did go to the world's greatest golf course last week, but it wasn't in Clementon, NJ... figure about 1500 miles to the west.   ;)  He's also leading a scramble team later today non-featuring myself and Steve Pieracci... as you can guess I am quite looking forward to hitting approach shots from where his drives end up, and in fact leaving my driver in the car as use of such would be pointless.

In any case I have zero doubt Jon could reach #7 at PV in two shots... 4wood + 4wood sounds about right for him also.

TH

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 11:36:31 AM »

"Spaulding!!!!!"

Great guess!  But I can tell you it was NOT he.  He did go to the world's greatest golf course last week, but it wasn't in Clementon, NJ... figure about 1500 miles to the west.   ;)  He's also leading a scramble team later today non-featuring myself and Steve Pieracci... as you can guess I am quite looking forward to hitting approach shots from where his drives end up, and in fact leaving my driver in the car as use of such would be pointless.

In any case I have zero doubt Jon could reach #7 at PV in two shots... 4wood + 4wood sounds about right for him also.

TH

The accuracy thing - the player from California did hit and hold the green, right? - makes me think maybe it wasn't JS.  I played a round with him at the Valley Club in February and he did hit some extremely long shots, but most would not be termed "accurate."   Probably an off day.   ;) ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 11:41:21 AM »
Accuracy and the fact the fairway runs out at 290 or something, meaning guys like Jon have to lay up off the tee (or so I hear).

But yes, bad Jon can hit some foul balls.  Good Jon is incredible to watch, however.

;D

Tom Birkert

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 11:57:47 AM »
I just discussed this with my flatmate who has played in the last couple of Crump Cups and his reply was succinct - "F**k off!"

That boggles my mind, it played like a par 6 when I was there.

It's a game I'm not familiar with.

Michael Blake

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 12:03:12 PM »
He must've had a perfect lie in the waste area.  Or did he hit his second short of it, from the fairway?

I guess the rumor that DLIII hit it in two many years ago using 2iron-2iron has no truth to it and is simply a rumor.

George Pazin

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 12:04:55 PM »
I thought I heard Ty Tryon did it a few years ago.

Would love to see some photos of the hole... :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Rick Sides

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 12:11:24 PM »
Did he reach it from the far back tees?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 01:35:23 PM »
I've attached the following pic.

Using Google Earth to measure....if he played it from the tips, it would have meant hitting a 350 yard drive to the end of the fairway followed by another 260 yard shot to carry on to the front of the green and presumably land soft enough to hold the green.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 01:37:47 PM »

"Spaulding!!!!!"

TH

The accuracy thing - the player from California did hit and hold the green, right? - makes me think maybe it wasn't JS.  I played a round with him at the Valley Club in February and he did hit some extremely long shots, but most would not be termed "accurate."   Probably an off day.   ;) ;D

Bill: "Off" is a most generous description of my ball striking that day....I was thinking "disastrous and/or dangerous". My year has been a mess since taking a lesson in January. Note to others.....NEVER try change your natural tempo as it relates to the golf swing....

From what I understand of PV, that's one hell of a 2nd shot to get on #7.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

JESII

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 01:38:22 PM »
It's worth noting that very few people play from the tees Kalen just highlighted on a daily basis...maybe 25 - 40 yards short of that.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 02:14:14 PM »
Since he was driving from Sunnehanna to LI for the Open, could it be RM's RF?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

JESII

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 02:15:38 PM »
Is anybody else supposed to know what that means?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 02:17:45 PM »
Whoooooooooooooooooooooops...thought it was Rancho Murrietta...Ricky Fowler of Murrietta, CA is my guess.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 03:09:21 PM »
I've attached the following pic.

Using Google Earth to measure....if he played it from the tips, it would have meant hitting a 350 yard drive to the end of the fairway followed by another 260 yard shot to carry on to the front of the green and presumably land soft enough to hold the green.

By the way, if you accurately plot the metes and bounds of Hell's Half Acre, you'll find that it is 50.01% of an acre - 0.01% larger than the metes and bounds would indicate. 

This increase is clearly the result of the last-minute land swap at the insistence of Charles Blair Macdonald to make the Devil's A**hole much smaller, yet retain exactly the same bunker-acreage.

I learn something new every day on this site.  Many thanks!   :D

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 03:36:29 PM »
I have never hit less than an eight iron into that green...so hitiing it on two for me is as likely as hitting Lindsey Lohan ;)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 04:00:42 PM »
Archie:

That's amazing.

When I was a senior in college I wrote that article about "The Untouchables" for GOLF Magazine ... my first big story in print.  Most of the holes we featured have been hit in two by now, but I always thought that second shot from short of Hell's Half Acre would stay inviolate.  I guess the times, they are a'changing.

P.S.  The only holes I know of from my article which have still never been hit and held in two are the two par-5's at Crystal Downs [as far as I've heard, anyway].  Not many of the big boys come through here, and they'd have to stick around long enough to catch the wind blowing in opposite directions.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 04:48:27 PM »
John, the rules for Dave Schmidt club are similar to the rules for Fight Club...you don't believe Schmidt; if he opens his mouth, it's not true; if he's not breathing in, he's lying.

Dave gets most of his material from the toastmasters website.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Rick Sides

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 05:31:06 PM »
I bet nobody has ever hit the 15th at Pine Valley in two.  A 615 yard uphill shot. 

JESII

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 05:36:25 PM »
I'll take that bet...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 05:48:15 PM »

"Spaulding!!!!!"

TH

Bill: "Off" is a most generous description of my ball striking that day....I was thinking "disastrous and/or dangerous". My year has been a mess since taking a lesson in January. Note to others.....NEVER try change your natural tempo as it relates to the golf swing....

From what I understand of PV, that's one hell of a 2nd shot to get on #7.

Jon, just checking to see if you were paying attention!  ;D

Rickie Fowler is long as hell, I saw him at the Walker Cup at Royal County Down where all the guys were long but he was the longest.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back