News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Kane

Congratulations to Mike Clayton
« on: June 14, 2009, 10:47:36 PM »
A welcome return to form, making it all the way to the third playoff hole in Jersey:
http://www.europeantour.com/default.sps?pageid=127&pagegid=%7BAEFB93B0%2DEFF5%2D4C05%2DAB0F%2DFD08D947D944%7D&infosid=3&eventid=2009832&reportid=67283

The Seniors Tour is playing some fine courses: Ballybunion, Porthcawl, Sunningdale, Woburn.

Emil Weber

Re: Congratulations to Mike Clayton
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 05:43:32 AM »
A welcome return to form, making it all the way to the third playoff hole in Jersey:
http://www.europeantour.com/default.sps?pageid=127&pagegid=%7BAEFB93B0%2DEFF5%2D4C05%2DAB0F%2DFD08D947D944%7D&infosid=3&eventid=2009832&reportid=67283

The Seniors Tour is playing some fine courses: Ballybunion, Porthcawl, Sunningdale, Woburn.

I'd rather play the Seniors Tour than the European Tour!  ;D

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 07:38:57 AM »
Congratulations on a good tournament Mike. Have a great season.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Ash Towe

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 03:14:54 PM »
Well done to Mike.
Does the European Senior Tour get much tv coverage.  I know The British Senior event is covered but are there others?
Watching other events on the courses Chris mentioned would be very interesting.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 05:45:04 PM »
Thanks for the support.
The courses are terrific - we are off to Porthcawl tomorrow and La Moye in Jersey is a really fun course.
I took a look at Royal Jersey last Friday - home course of Vardon and Ray - tumbling fairways, crossover holes and great fun.
The tee shot at the 1st is from a tee right on the edge of the beach.You drive straight over the 18th green and there are two primary driving hazards - a concrete German WW2 bunker on the right and an 18th cenrury fort on the left.
I played Worplesdon today and then walked 12 holes at Sunningdale - this is such a great place to play golf and as you walk these courses you are forced to ask what Vardon and Ray would make of golf courses with concrete paths all over them so people can drive their way around a golf course battering the origional architectural intent to pieces with modern balls and clubs
I suspect they would take a pretty dim view of where the game has gone since their days in Jersey.

Ash Towe

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 07:37:37 PM »
Mike,
Are you playing in any more Senior events on this trip?  If so the best of luck.
Any more courses you intend to play or visit.
Thanks, Ash

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 07:49:06 PM »
Mike:

Do Sunningdale and Worplesdon really have concrete buggy paths?  Please, God, no!

Have another great week in Wales, and Faldo says to have the waterproofs handy.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 12:47:15 AM »
Ash,
We are playing in Wales this week at Royal Porthcawl - another fantastic course. Then Slaley Hall for the PGA.
We are checking out Queenwood next Monday.

Tom,

No concrete paths at either - don't worry.It was just a comment on a conversation we had at Worplesdon and how the game had managed to morph from that old style golf to the game as it is in so many parts of the world these days - and how different the experience of playing the game can be in different places.
They have an issue with the houses on the right of the 1st at Sunningdale and to steer people left they have grown the right hand rough in about 25 yards - which looks odd and takes away that perfect drive down the boundary line to open up the best line into the flag.
The rest of the course looked perfect - the greens weree the best I have seen over here this trip.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 11:11:26 AM »
Mike

Slaley Hall ?

You'd better take your gumboots with you there.

Will be interested to hear what you think of Queenwood.....good luck at RP !!

Ash Towe

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 03:14:47 PM »
Mike,
Thanks for the reply.  Good luck for Royal Porthcawl.
Interested in your comments re Slaley Hall and Queenwood.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back